AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm)
May 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FederalTurtles

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I've had an Audio Technica ATH-M50 for a few years now and I love it, but I think it's time to step it up. I've been debating between the AKG Q701 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 Ohm) for a while now, and I can't make up my mind. I've read countless threads about them but I can't really determine which are for me. I mainly listen to electronic music: everything from trance to downtempo to chillwave to trip-hop. I also listen to quite a bit of hip-hop. I sometimes listen to classic rock and classical music and do a little bit of gaming. Which do you think would be better for my tastes? I would also appreciate it if comfort and durability were considered in your recommendation, I often have my headphones on for a several hours at a time while working.

Also, these will be driven by a FiiO E9K amp and an E17 DAC.

Thank you.

May 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 4
I have nothing to really add to this thread other than I am also going back and forth between these two cans. Hopefully someone can help up both out! We do have really different music genres that we listen to though; I am mostly soft rock and classic rock. I also listen to a lot of country. Which ever cans I choose I will be running them through a Schiit M&M stack.

May 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have nothing to really add to this thread other than I am also going back and forth between these two cans. Hopefully someone can help up both out! We do have really different music genres that we listen to though; I am mostly soft rock and classic rock. I also listen to a lot of country. Which ever cans I choose I will be running them through a Schiit M&M stack.

I pulled the trigger on the 880s. From what I have been reading they are much more comfortable than the 701s and apparently they are better for electronic music.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 4
For what its worth i had the q701's and really liked them and i pretty much exclusively listen to electronica. Only got rid of them due to upgraditis. Quite a bad disease. Tried the X1's (good, but too much bass), ad2000x (not enough sub bass). So guess what, i just bought another pair of q701's. 

Most electronic music is slightly boosted in the bass region. If not it still has more than most other types do. That being said, getting a bass heavy headphone is the exact wrong direction one should go for. The ultimate for me would be a mostly neutral can with a very slightly boosted lower region that is crystal clear throughout the spectrum. The q701's are very close to that in my opinion. And for the price they can be had (~$200) there is no competition. I'm planning on buying some dt880 600 ohms to compare, but i'm not letting go of the q701's again. 

For the record, they are driven by an asus stx soundcard (another peice of kit that is unrivaled at its price). Unless your willing to spend alot more money, these are the best in their category. And the law of diminishing returns starts much earlier in headphone land than some people will admit.

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back