AKG Q701 Review
Mar 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #226 of 248
  The "Leather Clad" Q701

Sounds good and is very comfy.

They look great.  Which pads, and how did you attach them?  Were you able to use the bayonet locking mechanism, or something else?

Nice tiles, btw :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #227 of 248
I assume you did that yourself? I like the look of it though. I've just ordered my pair and I've been reading reviews where a lot of experience complain about the headband comfort. I can't say I've really been particularly conscious of any headband before. I hope this one doesn't bother me. I also hope my E18 can drive them at least adequately. I'm kinda viewing these headphones as a gateway drug to valve amplifiers.

I selected the Q701 because I need something different what I currently have. Something that's good at folk music and instrumentals.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #228 of 248

They look great.  Which pads, and how did you attach them?  Were you able to use the bayonet locking mechanism, or something else?

Nice tiles, btw :)

Thanks!

J-money Beyers pads, A ton of stretching and heating to get them around, no locking mechanism. The thought crossed my mind to cannibalize the stock pads and use the plastic inside, but I was worried these would dull the sound/sound stage. They actually add a bit of low end while keeping everything else pretty much the same. I prefer them to the stock pads by far, the 65th annie pads are coming sometime (when back in stock), but I might not even try them. I forgot about the Q's and this is like a resurrection week for them.

ZMF head cushion.

May 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #229 of 248
Hi guys,

I'm trying to choose among AKG Q701, Sennheiser Momentum and V-Moda M100, but it's not easy...

I want a headphone to listen (in a Fiio X5), mainly, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters, for example.

Another important point is the cost. I wouldn't want to spend more than +- 300 euros.

Considering that I'm not a basshead, do you think AKG Q701 is the best option? 

Thank you guys!

May 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #230 of 248
Is this for portable use?

May 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #233 of 248
  Hi guys,

I'm trying to choose among AKG Q701, Sennheiser Momentum and V-Moda M100, but it's not easy...

I want a headphone to listen (in a Fiio X5), mainly, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters, for example.

Another important point is the cost. I wouldn't want to spend more than +- 300 euros.

Considering that I'm not a basshead, do you think AKG Q701 is the best option? 

Thank you guys!

Of the three you listed, the Q701 is the most neutral sound, imo. The Momentums are good, but I prefer the Qs, and just didnt care for the bass-focus of the V-Moda.

May 19, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #234 of 248
Wear the Q's on a plane and you better hope you're not sitting next to me. They leak far too much.

May 19, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #235 of 248

Of the three you listed, the Q701 is the most neutral sound, imo. The Momentums are good, but I prefer the Qs, and just didnt care for the bass-focus of the V-Moda.

Thank you for the reply hsubox.

I'm living in Turin (I'm from Brazil), but the problem here is that there aren't specialized shops to buy headphones. So, it's not easy to choose a headphone based only on reviews.

I have a Shure SE215 and a Bose On-Ear, both bought two years ago. However, I think it's time to go to a next level.

Do you have a more appropriate headphone to suggest according to my music taste and money?

Since now, thank you very much for the help!

May 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #236 of 248
V-moda M-100 could be a good choice.

May 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #238 of 248
I quite often listen to the same music you've listed and they work very well together. The M's are capable of massive bass but with rock music you'd really need to EQ them before it gets excessive. As ever though, YMMV.

May 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #239 of 248
  Not exactly. I usually travel a lot, so it's for use in buses and airplanes. I don't care so much with isolation, my focus is sound quality.
:)

For buses and planes just cross the Q701 off of your list.  Simply not portable. Either of the other two would work fine. I like V-Moda as a company in general. Build quality on the M100's are great, much better than then Momentum IMO. They are a little bassy. I think it is fine -- more than that, fun -- for the music you have listed. My issue with them (and I love the V-Moda M80's that I own) is that there is too much bass (for me) for certain acoustic music.  If you want more neutral you can look at the V-Moda XS, their updated and improved version of the M80, which is also cheaper than the M100 (but keep in mind it is an on-ear can).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back