AKG Q701 or Philips Fidelio X1
Jun 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 21
They are totally different sound signature wise.
The phillips is bassy and fun while the akg is neutral
Some other headphones to check out
Neutral:
Soundmagic hp200

Fun:
Hifiman he300 and 400
Yamaha hph 200 (the price is usually around $140 on amazon. It is now $70 from amazon. This could be a real bargain...)

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Yamaha hph 200 reviews
http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/33824-yamaha-hph-200-review-ranjeet-rain.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640370/yamaha-hph-200-pictures-and-review-updated-7-19
http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-hph-200-headphone-black

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 21
They are totally different sound signature wise.
The phillips is bassy and fun while the akg is neutral

Yep. This is like asking which is better, ice cream or pizza. :)

So first you want to think about what kind of sound signature you want. Then people could make recommendations for headphones that have that kind of sound.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 21
Agree with the others, both are amazing, AKG K701/2 pretty neutral, nice soundstage,detailed with a slight peak in the upper mids, but nothing major, overall amazing for the money, especially for classic and acoustic. Philips X1 is also neutral, but not in the way that its neutral like the AKGs, they are warm, yet very balanced,detailed and fun with big soundstage. I personally prefer the X1s, but i rarely listen classical music and am more of a 70s - 90s Rock fan and listen to some vocalists like Adele or Diana Krall. I also game a lot with them and watch my Blu Rays with them, i use them with a FiiO E12 and D03K Dac, personally if its a headphone you just wanna have sheer fun with, the X1s are for you, on the other hand if you need something thats really neutral, then the AKGs would be the better pick :)

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 21
The Q701 is not neutral at all.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 21
The peak in you low treble is painful. It can be alleviated to some extent via EQ but that seems to bring other problems. Anyway, it's just my opinion.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #12 of 21
Is there a difference between the newer Q701 and the K701? (Besides the new branding)

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 21
I would call it very neutral, from 500Hz upwards it completely neutral, only thing that may make them not neutral is the bass, but the bass still feels very neutral while listening, to be honest the Q701 peak a lot more, which is not neutral either, both have their signature and both are neutral except for the range they boos, X1 boosts bass from 70Hz to 500Hz and the AKG Q701 boosts 1700Hz to 2100Hz, but there is no completely neutral headphone, there is not one headphone that doesnt boost its own signature, but both the AKG and the X1 are neutral overall and with that sound very natural which to me is very important, thats why i prefer HD600,X1 and K702 over the DT990 or T90 or Beats or Deneon or anything out there besides Audeze, Beyerdynamic DT880 / T1... Really both X1 and AKG K702 are absolutely neutral besied they signature^^ Those who prefer a tad of warmth go X1, those who prefer a tad brightness and close vocals go K702 and the HD600 is kind of a mix between them but suffers from smaller soundstage. Thing is the difference between thos 3 headphoens is so minor to be honest, anyone whos like OMG X1 is so bassy but like the K702 is a bias liar in my opinion, because they really dont differ that much, X1 has a tad more punch and the K702 close vocals, the K702 is in danger of being sibilant, the X1 or sound a bit too warm for some, but in the end the difference truly is minor :) DT990 for example is so bright its not neutral anymore, no naturalness at all in my opinion, HD650 is truly a tad to warm for me, but still its natural and quite enjoyable :) 

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #15 of 21
Well i prefer the X1 too, but to be honest, i dont know a headphone that is much more neutral than these except HD600 and DT880 and even there its not much, HD600 probably the most neutral of all, but lacks the soundstage ^^ And i mean compared to speakers pretty much all the headphones we talked about are dead neutral :D Thats just the biggest advantage you have with a headphone, but of course you dont have the physicality of a loudspeaker :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back