Akg Q701 or Grado RS-2i
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

johanchandy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

I was pretty set on getting the Q701's with a E09k but after seeing the price here in Canada for the rs2i's, it doesn't seem a lot more considering it won't need a powerful amp. Which would suit me better? (Sr325i would also be an option)

Initially I thought Grado's were my favorite headphones but now I'm not sure. I had to mod my sr80i's considerably to like them as the piercing treble and lack of bass got to me but after months of tweaking them to get the right sound I was quite satisfied. Lacked soundstage though.

I had bought a Samson sr850 as well but I hated them initially. After a huge burn in period I absolutely adore these and prefer them to the sr80i's for the music I listen to. I loved the soundstage on these and felt it had a good balance. The bass was near perfect in amount and fast(just how I like it), any more bass and I would hate it. I tend to dislike warmer sounding headphones. I like how it renders guitars as well.

I prioritize clarity, detail and soundstage to everything else.

I wanted to step up the sound to something better so would the q701's be my best bet? I plan on doing the bassport mod to them. I'm worried if they are musical enough.

Genre's I listen to are classical, progressive/death/power/symphonic/folk metal and rock. 

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 6
The Q701 is much more enjoyable to my ears because it is much more open sounding, more even across the frequency spectrum, much more comfortable, and us more even on the low and high ends.

I also find them much more musical than any of the Grado headphones I have tried which includes the SR-60/80/125/225/325/RS-1i/RS-2i.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 6
  The Q701 is much more enjoyable to my ears because it is much more open sounding, more even across the frequency spectrum, much more comfortable, and us more even on the low and high ends.

I also find them much more musical than any of the Grado headphones I have tried which includes the SR-60/80/125/225/325/RS-1i/RS-2i.

Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you 
k701smile.gif

Now the hardest choice of them all, choosing the colour XD

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the Q701 and the RS1i and I basically only use the Q701 for gaming.....The RS1i gets all the head time when I am listening to music.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up getting the q701's and at first I was a bit disappointed but after doing the simple bass port mod I am thoroughly impressed. It makes these headphones sound absolutely phenomenal imho. It makes the bass perfect and gives a weight to the sound. It sounds more spacious and musical as well. I'm absolutely floored by what I hear, I can only guess it'll get even better with burn in. Got the ADL ihp-35X cable as well to replace the stock one. All in all I'm happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back