AKG PEOPLE - Would a K240M owner like Grado's-Alessandros?
Apr 10, 2012 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bengoshi2000

Head-Fier
So, with the arrival of the birthday I'm considering another set of headphones... and I keep finding myself reading the Grado/Alessandro threads.  With a budget of around $100 US, they fit the bill, but I'm just not sure I want to pull the trigger on a pair.  

What I like about my 600ohm K240M's is their clarity, imaging, and honest reproduction.  They will always be my first go to for classical and jazz.  But I think I'd like a pair of 'phones that are a bit more, shall we say, fun.  Something with a bit more bottom end... thump if you will, for listening to rock (AC/DC, Zeppelin) and Techno (Daft Punk, Thomas Dolby).  But I don't want to sacrifice the imaging/clarity that I love.  It wouldn't hurt if the new 'phones were a bit more portable, i.e. smaller, than my K240Ms.

I DO NOT WANT BASS-HEAD-CANS!!  Sorry... didn't mean to yell.  

From the threads I've read, my impression is that the RS80i and MS1 would likely have a bit more bottom end, but their imaging tends to be small... possibly claustrophobic.  Grado's seem to be a love 'em or hate 'em type of can (and I don't want to drop the $$ to find out I hate 'em).  

Any opinions, suggestions from the AKG owners out there?

Apr 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 14

I still love my K601 - I think it's a wonderful $300AUD-ish all rounder, but I'm also a total Grado nut :)

I find my PS1000 to be perfectly suited to certain classical recordings depending on how far out they
were recorded but for jazz - a Grado can surprise, it's the euphonic sax' highs and jazz organ that
suits their fun coloration.

Leon Spencer and his acid jazz sounds best to me on a Grado.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 14
if you like akg and want bit more bottom-end while maintaining good clarity and amazing midrange for under 100 bucks then you should try pair of older sextetts model. i never heard a grado before but usually the sextetts are referred to as ''grado'd akg's''. i don't know personally. i did own couple lp sextett models but one died and i bought a NOS sextett LP bit afterwards to replace it. the sextetts should provide defiantly more bass than the monitors and who knows you might like them more. they usually go for under 100 still nowadays and pop up frequently. there is couple on sell here on head-fi as well last time i checked.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 14
I have the AKG K240 Mk II and a set of Grado SR60i's.  I find they complement one another rather well.  The Grado is vibrant and direct...definitely not something you mellow out with.  I prefer the SR60i with most of the styles of rock that I listen to, especially for guitar, both acoustic and electric.  Also good with vocals.  The K240 I use for movies, some games, and for more relaxed listening. 

The SR60i was a bit harsh with the upper mids and highs, and I really didn't like the sound or comfort level of the original pads (S-Cush Comfies).  I solved both issues with custom pads and a sock mod, which darkened the sound a bit without adversely affecting the clarity and provided better comfort.  You may not have any issues with the Comfies though, as there is no consensus of opinion on Grado pads.

I'm not sure the lower level Grado headphones will give you the bottom end "thump" you are looking for.  Bass with the SR60i is clean and punchy, but doesn't really provide much reverberation...no deep bass impact.  For that type of music I usually find myself pulling out the Creative Aurvana Live! set.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 14
I second the Idea of going up the line in Grado for more bass.  I have the SR125 and Just got the SR325i and appreciate the improved bass.  So maybe something like a pair of SR225 just to get enough bass to feel it.  I love AKG for Jazz but they are just to laid back for Rock and Roll in my opinion :).

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 14

Just in from a fresh yet lengthy audition between the 325i and RS1i - the last two weeks I've been running the RS1i solely as my portable,

Last night I decided to dust off the 325i and see what I'd been missing all this time - the FR graphs would have you believe they're practically
 the same headphone in a casing made of different materials - plastic/alloy versus wood. The actual acoustic reproduction is sizable though
 when you spend one week on and off on each.

Basic summary from me is that switching from the RS1i to the 325i, familiar tracks that dig deep into the lower tones now don't seem
 to reach as far, it's more noticeable to me than going from the SR80i to 325i - overall tonality and timbre also goes to the RS1i,
 especially if you listen to a lot of jazz - you'd have to give the nod to the RS1i. Only area where the 325i outshines the RS1i in
 a visceral manner is with jazzy material the focuses on the highs - such as sax and jazz organ solos with very little bass and drum work
 to back it up (as in that particular recording).

All depends on your record collection really - if you were sourcing either of these for spandex 80's rock or punk then chances are
 the 325i would be the better bang for your buck, some would argue this is the case for all genres but having spent some time now
 I can appreciate the RS1i's nuance and occasional sophisticated take on material that separates it not only from the 325i but many
 other modern offerings including the AKG K550 and Beyerdynamic T70p - It's a very articulate and live sounding headphone.

Not to mention just the general practicality of having them on a moving head - going for a walk with the 325i after some serious
 noggin' time with the RS1i - the first thing that hits you is that the 325i is inherently heavier and more unstable on the cranium.

Last point would be concerning ringing or vibration - the 325i (or mine in any case!) can exhibit some natural vibrations with
 certain extended low notes - at first I thought it was the dreaded Grado grattle but it's not because it won't appear on some
 bass heavy material but other recordings can entice a small vibration from either cup.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks Vid... you seem to be on my wavelength.  Soundstage for me is the sense of space conveyed by headphones and imaging = the placement of instruments within that space.  Sorry for confusing things my using those terms interchangeably.  Small soundstage doesn't bother me.  I just want there to be some sense of space.  I don't want to feel like I'm in a closet.  I don't want to seem ungrateful for the advice of Gwarmi and theBigD, but y'all are discussing 'phones three-to-six times my budget.  If I drop much more than a Ben Franklin on these, I'll be in dutch with the SAC.  If I spent $300 I'd have to find a good divorce attorney.

Hence, I keep finding myself coming back to the Creative Aurvana's.  Seems like they are fun... good bottom end, not overpowering (but easily modded to get the bass under control if needed).  Mids and highs seem to be what I'm looking for.  The CAL's are more portable and offer some isolation (which is what I want).  I wish I could find a local retailer selling these so I could take a test drive first...

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Thanks Vid... you seem to be on my wavelength.  Soundstage for me is the sense of space conveyed by headphones and imaging = the placement of instruments within that space.  Sorry for confusing things my using those terms interchangeably.  Small soundstage doesn't bother me.  I just want there to be some sense of space.  I don't want to feel like I'm in a closet.  I don't want to seem ungrateful for the advice of Gwarmi and theBigD, but y'all are discussing 'phones three-to-six times my budget.  If I drop much more than a Ben Franklin on these, I'll be in dutch with the SAC.  If I spent $300 I'd have to find a good divorce attorney.

Hence, I keep finding myself coming back to the Creative Aurvana's.  Seems like they are fun... good bottom end, not overpowering (but easily modded to get the bass under control if needed).  Mids and highs seem to be what I'm looking for.  The CAL's are more portable and offer some isolation (which is what I want).  I wish I could find a local retailer selling these so I could take a test drive first...

Seek out the Grado local retail locator on their website and ye shall find :-

Sort by Dealer, Phone or City by clicking the tabs below. Questions? Email GRADO Labs at info@gradolabs.com

[size=medium]
City
State​
[/size]
[size=medium]
ADVANCED AUDIO​
919-481-3880​
CARY​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
AUDIO ADVICE​
919-881-2005​
RALEIGH​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
AUDIO ADVICE​
704-821-4510​
CHARLOTTE​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
AUDIO ADVICE​
919-881-2005​
RALEIGH​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
AUDIO ADVICE​
704-821-4510​
PINEVILLE​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
AUDIO EXCHANGEB​
919-828-6369​
RALEIGH​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
B&R AUDIO​
828-254-7277​
ASHEVILLE​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
CUSTOM HOME HI FI​
336-765-1855​
WINSTON-SALEM​
NC​
[/size]
[size=medium]
MOON AUDIO​
919-649-5018​
HOLLY SPRINGS​
NC​
[/size]

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Sheesh... I'm an hour away from nearly all of those (not that bad, unless you have to peel away from the family unit to go audition).  Thank you for posting that though!!  The In-laws live near the Winston-Salem location!

Re-read the review/s of the CAL over at InnerFidelity... where did he find these for $60?  If I could find them for $60 from a reputable retailer I would have already pulled the trigger!!?

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 14
The CAL! drops down in price at Amazon periodically.  Right now they are at their suggested retail price of $99 and simply overpriced.  I got mine from Amazon for $54.99  not too long ago.

You just have to check the price regularly.

Apr 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 14
I located a free Amazon Pricewatch/Notification App.  Next time these puppies drop below $70, I'm pulling the trigger (assuming a stellar deal on a superior set of cans doesn't come along first... there should be "an app for that" too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back