AKG K99 or K240STUDIO?
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DomaPhone

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25 1 II right now, and my powerers are a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ and an NAD 3225PE amp. I'm looking for a pair of good, big headphones for fun, easy, perhaps stupid listening. I can listen to high quality stuff with the Senns, but I also want something to enjoy bassy music. Really, I'm just looking for more accent on lows and mids, but it has to be high quality too. Right now I'm torn between the K99's and K240's, but only on the matter of price.

Are the 240's that big of an upgrade from the 99's? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25 1 II right now, and my powerers are a Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ and an NAD 3225PE amp. I'm looking for a pair of good, big headphones for fun, easy, perhaps stupid listening. I can listen to high quality stuff with the Senns, but I also want something to enjoy bassy music. Really, I'm just looking for more accent on lows and mids, but it has to be high quality too. Right now I'm torn between the K99's and K240's, but only on the matter of price.

Are the 240's that big of an upgrade from the 99's? 

Both AKG's are NOT bassy hps, they are studio monitor hps (flat sound). Try the Ultrasone's, or the GMP 8.35 D monitor if you want bass and better resolution compare to the HD25ll.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Can't speak about the other aforementioned cans, but I have a pair of the 240S's and enjoy them a lot with the uDAC. They are pretty neutral, so they depend on a quality source (lame encoded transparent mp3's or FLAC's make them shine). The 240S's are like a fun convertible that you take out on sunny days.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, I see. I'm very used to cheap. "EXTREME BASS" $25-40 headphones, and the Sony MDR-V500's and Sennheiser HD25's were my first "professional" pairs of headphones. At this point, I'm either just going to settle one of the AKG's or move upwards and fight with myself over the Allen & Heath XD-53's or the AIAIAI TMA-1's. 

Thanks for the replies

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Ah, I see. I'm very used to cheap. "EXTREME BASS" $25-40 headphones, and the Sony MDR-V500's and Sennheiser HD25's were my first "professional" pairs of headphones. At this point, I'm either just going to settle one of the AKG's or move upwards and fight with myself over the Allen & Heath XD-53's or the AIAIAI TMA-1's. 

Thanks for the replies

Bold = Good Decision, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back