AKG K845BT First Impressions & Early Review (+ The Headphone Bar)
Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
**This thread is meant to serve as both a "First Impressions" and "Early Review" of the AKG K845BT Headphones as well as offer some quick impressions on other headphones which I tried at the Headphone Bar in Vancouver BC. **
 ​
"TESTING" & "TEST RESULTS" will include impressions on all unselected headphones. "FIRST IMPRESSIONS / FINAL REVIEW" will include my thoughts on my new AKG K845BT's as of 13/04/14.
 ​

INTRODUCTION
 ​
As some of you may already know, I've been looking for a new headphone to replace my aging and dying Audio Technica ATH-M50's for a while, so when I realized I would have a chance to test out an array of possible options in one place during a recent trip to Vancouver, I jumped at the chance.

For some clarification, here were my goals when looking for which headphones to buy:
Quote: BRSxIgnition
  My main physical requirements are that the headphones be:
  1. Full-Sized. (Around Ear preferred for comfort)
  2. Portable. (Example: M50's are fine for me)
  3. Sturdy & Stylish. (Metal/High Quality Construction is welcome!)

When it comes to sound, I want two things:
  1. Neutral. I don't want heavily V-shaped or overly bright sound signatures. Bass is good, but I don't want recessed mids. (A la M-100)
  2. Fun. That said, I still want the sound to be dynamic, and not perfectly neutral or deadly flat. The ATH-M50's sound alright to me, though I would like more detail and a bit more balance. 

My spending limit is $400 after tax

In the end, I went. I listened. I enjoyed. 

... Oh, and I've got me a new headphone. The AKG K845BT.  
smily_headphones1.gif

TESTING

Once arriving at the small store and saying hi to the owner, I immediately looked over the wall of demo headphones and spotted a good few which I had always read about on Head-fi, but never had the chance (or money) to try out. Eager to begin, I planned out my strategy.

The headphones which stood out to me and my needs were the:
  1. V-MODA XS
  2. V-MODA M-100
  3. KEF M500
  4. NAD VISO HP50

Headphones I would've liked to try, but were not stocked were:
  1. B&W P7
  2. B&O H6

Once I had planned out my attack strategy, I took out my iPod Touch 5G, took a seat, and demo'ed each pair for about 30 - 45 minutes each. 

Rather than write full impressions and reviews on each and every headphone I tried during my 2+ hours at the awesome little boutique store, I'll simply give some points of note on each.

TEST RESULTS

V-MODA XS

1. BUILD & FIT
    1. Even though I knew it would be small, it still surprised me with how small it was.
    2. Build quality was excellent.
    3. "Mind the Gap" is more than just a statement. Pressure was much more evenly distributed and the headband was much more comfortable as a result. (Compared to V-MODA's other headphone headbands)
    4. Comfortable for an on-ear, but that's about it. Still not as comfortable as a circumaural.

1. SOUND & TECH
    1. Sound was very clear throughout.
    2. Highs didn't extend as far as I would like.
    3. Mid-range was less recessed than the M-100's, but just barely.
    4. Bass was still the most powerful frequency, and while controlled, it still overwhelmed the other frequencies on songs with too much of it.

M-100 (Re-Demo)
Tried these again to see if my impressions held true. For the most part, they did.

1. BUILD & FIT
    1. Comfort was better than I remember, but that is likely due to it being a demo unit. My head began hurting towards the end of the session.
    2. Again, V-MODA build quality and form factor are great. 

1. SOUND & TECH
    1. Clarity was still there in all the frequencies, but the V-shaped sound signature made itself present whenever there was a song with more than just a touch of bass. 
    2. Due to the recessed nature of the Mid-range, details within it were often overshadowed.

KEF M500

1. BUILD & FIT
    1. The surprise of the bunch, very good comfort for an on ear headphone - better than the V-MODA XS.
    2. Headband was also comfortable, likely due to wider nature. Pressure was evenly distributed.
    3. The softest ear-pads I had the pleasure of having on my ears today. Seriously, how did KEF get them that soft?

1. SOUND & TECH
    1. Sound was slightly (just barely) grainy, but warm and balanced. No specific frequency stuck out too much.
    2. Sound isolation was nothing to write home about, but sound leakage was much better than expected.
    3. Tested the leakage by placing them on a Marshal Headphones box and turning up the sound until I could hear it in the rather quiet store. I had to turn it up to 85%+ before I heard any noticeable leakage.
    4. Great on-the-go portable headphone overall, but definitely not something to use on a bus or transit. (Bad isolation)

NAD VISO HP50

1. BUILD & FIT
    1. Biggest disappointment of the bunch. (If only for the reason that I could not test them at all.)
    2. Right pad sealed fine against my head, but the left pad could not seal at all. Only the top of the pad touched my head, whereas the bottom half was a good cm away from touching skin. I am unsure if this was a problem with that particular unit, or my head.
    3. I was told that they simply don't fit me, but I find that odd. It's the first headphone I've ever had this problem with. 

AKG K845BT FIRST IMPRESSIONS / FINAL REVIEW
 ​
 ​

Finally, I went back to retry the K845BT to confirm my thoughts on it, as well as to compare it against the other headphones I had tried. I liked it,  to say the least.

AKG K845BT

1. BUILD & FIT
    1. My first thought when I tried them was "hollow."  They felt very sturdy, yet very light, as if they were made of hollow metal. This may sound weird, but it's the best way I can explain my first impressions of these headphones
    2. My ears fit comfortably into the cups. They just barely touch the insides - as other people have claimed - but it's hardly felt for me, and is quickly remedied by positioning the cups properly.
    3. The mechanics of this headphone are quite a bit more rigid than my Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and this actually helps them keep the angle and positioning of the cups more over time. Very welcome. 
    4. The rigidness of the mechanism though does limit the turning angles for the cups, which can only be laid flat pad-side-up. If you try to turn them the other way, they only rotate about 30 degrees.
    5. Pads are very soft, yet firm. Seal was also a non-issue for me. Just like the above, once I tilted them properly onto the contours of the side of my head, I left them be, and that was it. No further fiddling needed. 
      1. I would LOVE to buy HM5 pads for these, but the working pair which I got was in white. If anyone has any better pads in white they'd like to recommend me, please do! 
    6. The headband's 'clickiness' is very welcome, and adds to the solid feeling of these headphones.
    7. One thing I didn't notice right away was the ingenius pad-replacement mechanism AKG has put onto this headphone. By slipping the edge of the bad through a gap on the bottom of the cup and twisting, one can apply the pads around the entirety of the cup edge without having to pull and pinch all the way around. Kudos to AKG for that!

1. BLUETOOTH & WIRELESS
    1. These headphones are essentially a Bluetooth & NFC capable version of the AKG K545. Other components are all the exact same, down to the drivers. (The only difference for the K845BT is the fact that the 2.5mm cable is switched to a 3.5mm cable. A very welcome addition.)
    2. Sound Quality over Wireless was so similar to my impressions over tethering (cable), that I won't bother fully separating my sonic impressions into two sections.
    3. In general, the only even-slightly discernable impact wireless has to sound quality is a very slight loss of detail due to compression. 

1. SOUND & TECH
    1. First off, these seem as if they would benefit quite a bit from amping, as I needed my volume to be a good 1 or 2 clicks higher than usual to get the same amount of volume. (In comparison to my Audio Technica ATH-M50's)
    2. The above issue seems to be removed when using the headphone's bluetooth function, which uses its own battery to both power the headphones and their receiver. 
    3. The first words that came to my head when I put these on and began to play music was "Balance." Because that's what these are: not flat, and not v-shaped; they are balanced. There is a very slight emphasis on bass - specifically sub-bass - but I wanted that.
    4. All frequencies I looked at had a great amount of detail without being fatiguing, and in my opinion, all frequencies had the perfect amount of presence. 
  1. Highs were detailed, non-sibilant, and extended well when they needed to. I guess you would say they 'sparkled'? (Never understood what people meant by that until now.)
  2. Mid-range was detailed and up-front. The opposite of the M-100 and other V-shaped cans. I would not go as far as saying the mids were aggressive, but vocals are very well presented on these cans. Something that I felt was lacking from the M-100's and even my M50's slightly.
  3. Bass was probably my most pleasant surprise with these cans. It punched hard when required, but even when it was called for in some of my more bassy songs, it retained its position with the other frequencies. To put it simply, it's as if this headphone knows when to punch hard with its bass, and when to use a more subtle touch. This is likely due to the way it does its Sub-bass. The AKG K845BT has very good, deep extension, but it plays the mid-bass relatively light. This results in a lighter bass when the song doesn't need it, and a nice 'oomph' when it does. Very impressed here.
  4. Soundstage on the AKG K845's is also very impressive considering their closed nature. I find myself hearing new details I had missed before because everything feels as if it's more spaced out. Very happy with this, though it does also expose flaws in poorly recorded or poorly mastered music. 

I'd love it if I could have simply finished my impressions & review there, but for about an hour after I left with my first pair, I was confronted with an issue in the Quality Control for my first pair. 

QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES

As I left, opened the box,and sat down at my local Starbucks for a drink and a good listen with my new headphones, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was missing. I tried tinkering with the sound balancing on my iPod, but in its neutral position, it felt as if my left driver was a bit more quiet and recessed than the left. Something which would be confirmed visually soon enough. 

After I left the Starbucks and walked back to The Headphone Bar, I was assured that if I still felt that way, I could return them or exchange them for a new pair. I was happy with that promise, and went back to the Starbucks while awaiting a friend - but all was not well.

As I jogged slightly to cross an intersection, I heard a slight 'crinkle' or 'pop' from my left driver with each step. Sure enough, when I applied slight pressure to the cup, the 'crinkle' and 'pop' would return. I walked back to The Headphone Bar, and apologized for bothering him 3 times in the span of 2 hours, but explained my situation.

Surely enough, when the pads were removed, we could clearly see that the driver had been 'crunched'. It was still in one piece, and could still play music fine, but the instability was caused by a series of slight 'folds' between the lines on the driver. Once we checked the other K845BT's, we finally found one that was largely unscathed and in perfect working condition. The bad thing is, that it took 2 tries to find it. This means that out of the 4 AKG K845BT's I tried today, 2 had the left driver issue.

My Advice?
 ​
If possible, go to a place with nice, understanding, knowledgeable staff or a place with a good refund policy, and check your drivers right after your purchase.

All in all, I'm a happy camper. I have a good new headphone, and a new favorite headphone store. This was a good trip.

Seriously, I really want to thank the owner of The Headphone Bar (I never asked for your name, I'm sorry!) for his help and expertise in helping me find what I needed, as well as putting up with me staying there almost 4 hours total. I can't say thank you enough, especially for his understanding with the driver issue and the ease of replacement.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 11
Updating the thread with a more detailed A/B comparison between the AKG K845BT and my old ATH-M50's:

The purpose of this test was to outline and pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of each set, with the goal of deciding which will be kept.​
 ​
[size=12.0pt]1.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]Numquam Vincar (Live) –[/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]Puella Magi Madoka [/size][size=12.0pt]☆[/size][size=12.0pt] Magica Music Collection[/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
a.[size=7pt]      [/size]Audio Technica ATH-M50 Impressions (iPod – 60% Average Volume)
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Little to no impact on piano keys. Good clarity for the entirety of piano portion.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Good Detail on Drum Beats, slightly less detail on clicks.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Guitar & Drums balanced with other frequencies. Less Separation.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Ear Comfort is fine, headband conforms to shape of head with padding.
b.[size=7pt]     [/size]AKG K845BT Impressions (iPod – 70% Average Volume)
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Some impact on Piano Keys, mainly on darker notes. Clarity is retained/improved.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Good detail on both clicks and drum beats.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Guitar & Drums more aggressive with more impact. Great Separation.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Headband pressure more noticeable. Likely due to less clamping force & padding.

[size=12.0pt]2.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]The Beat –[/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]Tetra[/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
a.[size=7pt]      [/size]Audio Technica ATH-M50 Impressions (iPod – 60% Average Volume)
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]“Bassline Rumble” present. Impact is also good.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals and scratches detailed well.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Instrument Separation is fine.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Ear Comfort is fine, headband conforms to shape of head with padding.
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]“Bassline Rumble” more present, due to better sub-bass response.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals and scratches more detailed, likely due to better separation.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Bass Impact slightly better than ATH-M50.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Headband pressure more noticeable. Likely due to less clamping force & padding.

[size=12.0pt]3.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]M10_nakanishi_arianne -  [/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]Evangelion PianoForte #1[/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Piano is detailed & clear. Little to no impact on keys until finale.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals are present, forward & clear. Trades Clarity for Presence.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Backup vocals also present with slight blending. Clarity is retained.
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Piano is detailed & clear. Little to no impact on keys until finale.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals are present, forward, and clear. Trades Presence for Clarity.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Backup vocals more separated than on M50. Slight increase in presence.
[size=12.0pt]4.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]Wild Wild Westgatari – [/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]Anime Mashup Compilation Vol. 2[/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Artifacting minimal. Separation between tracks is alright.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drums have good impact. Guitar rather clear.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Japanese voice-over in background. English more forward.
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Artifacting slightly more noticeable. Clarity & Separation improved.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drums have more impact, Guitar is clearer. Separation adds to both.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals more balanced – new details like breaths are now noticeable.

[size=12.0pt]5.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]Destiny / Fate / In My Spirit – [/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]EVANGELION 2.0 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE. Original Soundtrack [Limited Edition][/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drum impact is good. Timpani detail is alright, both blend into background.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Vocals are mostly background focused. Violins are more forward.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Little separation. Timpani & Drums are separated from vocals well.
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drum impact is a bit deeper. Timpani detail is more noticeable due to separation.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Male vocals more forward. Female vocals remain in the background.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Violins gain detail, but blend with background more. Overall separation is improved.

[size=12.0pt]6.[size=7pt]     [/size][/size][size=12.0pt]Ura-Omote Lovers [Live] – [/size][size=12.0pt]「[/size][size=12.0pt]HATSUNE MIKU Miku No Hi Daikanshasai Finale LIVE CD[/size][size=12.0pt]」[/size]
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Separation is good. Vocals are forward, most instruments are in the background.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Due to the rearward nature of instruments, details are slightly masked. (Guitar)
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Saxophone detail is good, takes the same space as vocals.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drum impact is detailed.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]v.[size=7pt]     [/size]Ear Comfort is fine, headband conforms to shape of head with padding.
[size=7pt]                                                    [/size]i.[size=7pt]     [/size]Audience Cheers more separated – a welcome addition.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]ii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Instruments are more forward, surrounding the vocals, rather than behind them.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iii.[size=7pt]     [/size]Saxophone detail is improved, moved slightly rearward. (Now matches instruments)
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]iv.[size=7pt]     [/size]Drum impacts improved. Vocal details also a bit more improved.
[size=7pt]                                                   [/size]v.[size=7pt]     [/size]Separation adds to the concert feel of the show.
[size=7pt]                                                  [/size]vi.[size=7pt]     [/size]Headband pressure more noticeable. Likely due to less clamping force & padding. 

Funnily enough, I had quite a few songs left to demo when I ran into a fatal flaw with the AKG K845BT's. Headband Comfort.

Regardless of what click-settings I used for the headband, it would always begin to hurt and eventually lead to a bad headache around 45 minutes or so after putting them on. Something my M50's have never done. It's sad, because as you can see above, the AKG's are better sonically in every regard. 

Ah well, back to the ol' M50's. Contacting The Headphone Bar for a refund.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the review - I'd been avidly reading various sites and browsing the various outlets to find a 'first proper headphone' and settled on these.

Connected them to a lowly Nexus 5 so far - first impressions are of a lovely rich sound, not overly bright and not too woolly and for someone that likes bass  / electronic dance music - they seem ( on first impressions ) to have a very good sound depth. A measure of how good the BT is on the phone is that there is almost no difference in SQ at full volume between the cable and the Bluetooth - yet to try  them on a decent audio card as that's at home.

Picked them up for £149 from Richer Sounds ( last set in Milton Keynes) because I wanted them today ( and wanted to try them on ) but they are available for £139 too if you don't mind a days wait.

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/akg-k845bt-wireless-bluetooth-headphones

I was in between these and the Harmon Kardon BT  ( available in Costco for £129 currently! ) http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_1,cos_1.6,cos_1.6.2/156835

Decided that having the AKG looked better as it's a more classical headphone shape and i'm too old to try and be trendy!

My sole concern with these ( other reviewers seem to have had issues with the shape of the band on their head) was the size / weight / headband. I have a fairly round size 7.5 head and small ears - these are a perfect fit. If you have a big / fat  round head and don't have dumbo lugs you should be fine. Had them on for a couple of hours now and zero sign of any aches and pains.

Anyway I'm not going to harp on, I'm no expert but I've bought a set of headphones that are perfect for my needs and that i love the sound of. As a first buy, can't ask for more than that.

edit: Hooked these up to the headphone port on my computer, Asus Xonar D2 audio card - sounds fantastic! Now via the Headphones out on the AV amp that the card drives - with some proper volume and a decent signal   ..... what a difference! Going to spend the day working but also rediscovering music that i'd forgotten I loved :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 11
Got my K845BT, they were perfect and I love them, I agree with most of what you said on them. HOWEVER, my friend got ones based on my recommendation (from amazon uk), and he got the very same issue you describe on the left driver plastic. Seems like the quality issue is coming straight from the factory...

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you for the info comparison on the ATh M50 and AKG 845BT

I'm in the market for over the ear headphones and I'm going to Best Buy to test these. I've read that the
ATH M50x have better balance than it's predecessor M50. You didn't mention that you compared the M50x or that's what you had?

Thanks again, Joyce

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 11
I realise it's been a while since anyones commented on this thread but having just bought a pair I feel the need to add some impressions for people like myself who are coming late to the game and want information.
Firstly, I am no expert in bluetooth headsets by any means having only owned these and the UE9000. However, I have owned quite a few AKG phones and do have a bit of a handle on their products (K619i,K550,K701,K702)
Personally I find the AKG K845bt excellent, especially for the severely marked down price I paid used on eBay.
Build quality is nice with metal/synthetic leather construction which is utilitarian and stylish. Comfort is good for me with an excellent fit attainable due to the number of adjustment options and quality padding. They are also relatively low profile and light when compared to my UE9000.
Functions are basic but reliable. 3 buttons on the right earcup deal with volume up/down and play/pause/answer/end call. No skip track on my Android phone though. One button on the left cup with short press for on/off and long press to enter pairing mode. No issues were encountered in pairing the first time with my phone and no dropouts since. I haven't had a chance to try the NFC connection yet. They don't have active noise cancelling like many other bt headsets but isolation is good anyway due to the closed back design and airtight seal of the earpads. They can also be used wired but peronally I can't see the point when buying a bt headset. I suppose it could be a godsend if the battery runs out whilst on the go.
Sound is typical AKG with an accentuated bass to compete with other brands in the contemporary market. Results are pretty strong across a wide variety of music styles and across the frequency range with excellent detail retrieval at the top end. The only area I found lacking in some tracks was the level of detail in the midrange on certain tracks (although this was by no means a deal killer).
In conclusion, these are very competent bluetooth headphones that offer a high fidelity sound at a really decent price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to anyone looking for the convenience of bluetooth but not wanting to spend a fortune.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #8 of 11
  Does anybody know if AKG is going to upgrade K845BT to the Bluetooth 4.0 ?

I am looking to buy a pair of these headphones myself and have noticed that the there are two variants of the packaging.  One is with a black box and one is with a beige box.   I'm not sure if there was an update to the headphones, but someone at a local store told me the beige box was newer.  Cosmetically, the headphones are a tiny bit different as the model number is silk screened on a different part of the outside of the headphones and are in a larger font.  

The other thing I noticed is that the ear pads are placed very unevenly almost looking like they are going to fall off.   Has anyone else noticed this?  

Beige box:
http://us.akg.com/system/html/k845bt-black-box-7d3d5dc2.png  

Black box:
http://www.sklep.bestaudio.pl/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/1200x1200/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/k/akg-k845-bt-box.png

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Lot's of Vancouver people in here. Nice.

Every time I saw the K545's sitting on the demo wall I'd put them on and crave them, but kept waiting for a good price. When I noticed the store had the K845's on for $120 off I pounced figuring I'd be getting the best of both worlds, wired and Bluetooth.

LOVE. THE. SOUND. Warm, detailed, spacious.

Loving them for home and work as they block enough sound (at home there's pretty much no ambient sound to interfere) and I don't need crank them in these quieter environments to get bass.

With that said though isolation is a major issue commuting on the bus and train. The 845 cups are flush to my head, but I still find these let in a tremendous amount of outside noise. To compensate I'm constantly turning them up to get any amount of bass, which in turn pushes treble to levels that really irritate my Tinnitus.

Has anyone tried the alternative pads like the HM5's and found any real difference? I'd like to solve this if I can and use these as my wireless commuter transition set from home to office.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Lot's of Vancouver people in here. Nice.

Every time I saw the K545's sitting on the demo wall I'd put them on and crave them, but kept waiting for a good price. When I noticed the store had the K845's on for $120 off I pounced figuring I'd be getting the best of both worlds, wired and Bluetooth.

LOVE. THE. SOUND. Warm, detailed, spacious.

Loving them for home and work as they block enough sound (at home there's pretty much no ambient sound to interfere) and I don't need crank them in these quieter environments to get bass.

With that said though isolation is a major issue commuting on the bus and train. The 845 cups are flush to my head, but I still find these let in a tremendous amount of outside noise. To compensate I'm constantly turning them up to get any amount of bass, which in turn pushes treble to levels that really irritate my Tinnitus.

Has anyone tried the alternative pads like the HM5's and found any real difference? I'd like to solve this if I can and use these as my wireless commuter transition set from home to office.

Maybe I listen to these way too loud when out and about but I don't experience that problem I'm afraid. If the treble is beginning to irritate you it sounds like you already have them way up.
Just looking at mine now with some pleather hm5 pads next to them they look like they would be a poor fit which would probably equate to worse isolatiom. Perhaps someone else in here has actually tried them and would say otherwise.
Maybe it would be better for you to consider a noise cancelling pair like the wireless momentums or Bose or even consider in ears which usually isolate really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back