AKG K812 Pro
Oct 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #16 of 4,825
It doesn't sound like 701 if that's help. It has plenty of mid-bass pressence - 701 isn't great with rock/pop type music because it doesn't has enough quantity of mid-bass. 701 also tends to be a touch bright and colder. Whereas 812 is actually quite neutral in a good way, neither warm or cold, not bright nor sharp. However, due to weak amp used (small lehmann, not the linear club), it can't even deliver the level of deep/ low bass like in 701. I guess you will have to wait till reviews with better source & amp set up to really tell what this headphone can do.

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #17 of 4,825
  It doesn't sound like 701 if that's help. It has plenty of mid-bass pressence - 701 isn't great with rock/pop type music because it doesn't has enough quantity of mid-bass. 701 also tends to be a touch bright and colder. Whereas 812 is actually quite neutral in a good way, neither warm or cold, not bright nor sharp. However, due to weak amp used (small lehmann, not the linear club), it can't even deliver the level of deep/ low bass like in 701. I guess you will have to wait till reviews with better source & amp set up to really tell what this headphone can do.

I don't know, but I thought the K 701 had a few dB too much midbass. I'm glad if AKG managed to sort out their trademark piercing treble, though less glad if they're going for more midbass.

I'd like to see a review from a person who can measure up a freq response to clear up the picture. I'll assume Tyll is on the case.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #18 of 4,825
The amount of mid-bass, not the quality. Try 701 with bassy dance music vs a closed phone like denon etc.

Knowing  K701 which does has strong enough deep bass, I think 812 can do better than that.. However I suspect, it is due to the weak amp there (small lehmann, not the black club linear), it isn't able to deliver the deep bass.

I am sure Tyll will have measurement soon. Plus he has lots of good amps which should be able to tell how things stands.  

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #19 of 4,825
  The amount of mid-bass, not the quality. Try 701 with bassy dance music vs a closed phone like denon etc.

Knowing  K701 which does has strong enough deep bass, I think 812 can do better than that.. However I suspect, it is due to the weak amp there (small lehmann, not the black club linear), it isn't able to deliver the deep bass.

I am sure Tyll will have measurement soon. Plus he has lots of good amps which should be able to tell how things stands.  

Not enough sub-bass?   That sucks.   I don't think a better amp will give you much more...specially since CantScareMe mentioned that they can be well driven by phone.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 4,825
Not from what I heard, sorry. And amp does make a difference. With my T1, even with Rudistor RPX33 it sounded mid-bassy, whereas with my EC 2A3 amp it is now a full range (bass wise) headphone, quite different.

Still given the amount of mid-bass there, it seems relatively easy headphone to drive (compare to say HD800 or T1). Given the set up there (which I don't think is good enough) I will not be able to tell you what is the max sound quality this headphone is capable of producing. Until people start trying it with different amps then we will know what is optimal (it will still only be personal opinion of course). 

I can't tell you what K812 sounded like with ipod/ iphone (& with portable amps) as I haven't tried it so can't comment on that. I only tried out with their small lehmann amp and harman & karon CDP & low grade AV cable for 15 - 20 mins. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #21 of 4,825
  Not from what I heard, sorry. And amp does make a difference. With my T1, even with Rudistor RPX33 it sounded mid-bassy, whereas with my EC 2A3 amp it is now a full range (bass wise) headphone, quite different.

Still given the amount of mid-bass there, it seems relatively easy headphone to drive (compare to say HD800 or T1). Given the set up there (which I don't think is good enough) I will not be able to tell you what is the max sound quality this headphone is capable of producing. Until people start trying it with different amps then we will know what is optimal (it will still only be personal opinion of course). 

I can't tell you what K812 sounded like with ipod/ iphone (& with portable amps) as I haven't tried it so can't comment on that. I only tried out with their small lehmann amp and harman & karon CDP & low grade AV cable for 15 - 20 mins. 

My setup was different from yours I guess. I got a rack mounted CDP running XLR into the Lehmann.

Oct 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #22 of 4,825
I think you have the better set up of the 2 demo they got there, lucky you! The small lehmann (not the black cube linear but a lower grade unit) I used was also running XLR. The CDP I used was a harman & kardon.

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #23 of 4,825
Thanks for your impressions SleepyOne.  I do hope that the sub-bass is to my liking...but I usually stay away from sub-bass shy cans.  I would rather use headphone with no punch and  good sub-bass (I'm describing my K702, basically). 

When a headphone has a good balance of both (as in my GR07 and DT1350) you are in headphone heaven.

Quote:

My setup was different from yours I guess. I got a rack mounted CDP running XLR into the Lehmann.

Did you also find the K812 was somewhat lacking sub-bass? 

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #24 of 4,825
  Thanks for your impressions SleepyOne.  I do hope that the sub-bass is to my liking...but I usually stay away from sub-bass shy cans.  I would rather use headphone with no punch and  good sub-bass (I'm describing my K702, basically). 

When a headphone has a good balance of both (as in my GR07 and DT1350) you are in headphone heaven.

Quote:

Did you also find the K812 was somewhat lacking sub-bass? 

No, not really. Compared to something like DT1350, it had less sub-bass but still performed pretty well. Note that if you drive it with a smartphone, sub bass disappears. :D

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #25 of 4,825
Hi,

sorry we haven't met during the event in London. I had been there the complete Wednesday but I had to leave earlier in the afternoon on Thursday to meet my son in Cambridge and still get my flight back to Cologne. There have indeed been two different setups during the event:
> Mixing room: professional CDP into two single Linear Pro units
> Studio: Harman Kardon CDP into two daisy chained StudioCubes

More images - including details from the rollup displays regarding the K812 - to be seen on the Lehmannaudio facebook page.

As you can imagine I am very pleased that AKG had explicitly asked for my products to be used during this event. So the two most important manufacturers of dynamic headphones relied on my products for the market introduction of their flagship products. Feels good.

Kind regards from Germany

Norbert Lehmann - Lehmannaudio

Edit: typo

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 4,825
Pleather for 1.5K dollar headphones? Are they serious?

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #30 of 4,825
Sure why not, probably that patented protein leather. Calcium additive to pleather coating for increased wear resistance, better durability from stains/oils, and uniformity of construction than leather.

This isn't the cheapo vinyl type pleather of old. "this ain't your grandpa's Lincoln logs"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back