AKG K812 Pro
Nov 23, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4,741 of 4,825
what are some reasonably priced options, or just options, for cable replacement/upgrade. the stock cable just seems a little sad, especially the 1/8 termination.

also, have been using the K812 about 90% of the time over my other headphones since being acquired. they are really good.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #4,743 of 4,825
By the way guys, just to ask all K812 owners here - Have you found the need to change your pads? I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and the pads are as good as they were when I got them new and to think these are proprietary (no 3rd party) pads. Is it good to say that these are one of the strengths compared to most, if not all, other headphones in the market?

I haven’t seen any signs of wear on my pads either, it’s crazy how durable these are.

But yes, I would absolutely LOVE if AKG manufactured an alternate “hybrid pad” featuring some Alcantara or Velour…

…Hopefully in a way that very slightly decreased the 2nd & 3rd order harmonic bass distortion, which while extremely pleasing to the ear, would be a nice option to tame the bass harmonics barely down to HD800s bass distortion levels, or even more down to clinical HD800 levels, with the alternate hybrid pads.

Maybe the alternate pads can also tame some treble peaks?

What else would be required for a special anniversary edition than two sets of pads and a new paint job ? (I nominate white like the K701)

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #4,744 of 4,825
I actually have the SRH1540 at my office at work. I also own the SRH1840 the open back version. Trying to decide is I want to sell or not. Have more headphones then I need.
How do you like the 1840s?

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #4,746 of 4,825
They are good. Just don’t get much head-time since I have the K-812, HEXSE and Susvaras. Might put them up for sale.
The one thing I don't like about the AKG headphones is that there is no balanced.

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4,748 of 4,825
Understand, but they scale well on my Riviera AIC-10.

Never tried the SRH-1840s balanced.
I love K812s on my Lotoo Paw Gold. They hit harder than any of my other headphones using the LPG. For whatever reason that DAP just gets the diaphragm moving something fierce.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #4,749 of 4,825
I haven’t seen any signs of wear on my pads either, it’s crazy how durable these are.

But yes, I would absolutely LOVE if AKG manufactured an alternate “hybrid pad” featuring some Alcantara or Velour…

…Hopefully in a way that very slightly decreased the 2nd & 3rd order harmonic bass distortion, which while extremely pleasing to the ear, would be a nice option to tame the bass harmonics barely down to HD800s bass distortion levels, or even more down to clinical HD800 levels, with the alternate hybrid pads.

Maybe the alternate pads can also tame some treble peaks?

What else would be required for a special anniversary edition than two sets of pads and a new paint job ? (I nominate white like the K701)
Yeah, that would be nice though I have no qualms with its bright treble when class A amps brings out the energy and body without the harshness but a treble-taming set of pads is a good option. Already have an OG HD800 for keeps. It would be a wonder if AKG, Senn, and Beyer decide to explore planars.

Unfortunately, the current AKG team seem to be focused on other things and most of the old timers have moved on to Austrian Audio.

No probs with it not having a balanced option either as it's one of the flagship headphones that can be driven and gives immediate rewards with whatever source you use it on given its impedance then scales up to the level of gear you plug it on. But definitely steer clear if you're treble-sensitive.

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #4,750 of 4,825
Yeah, that would be nice though I have no qualms with its bright treble when class A amps brings out the energy and body without the harshness but a treble-taming set of pads is a good option. Already have an OG HD800 for keeps. It would be a wonder if AKG, Senn, and Beyer decide to explore planars.

Unfortunately, the current AKG team seem to be focused on other things and most of the old timers have moved on to Austrian Audio.

No probs with it not having a balanced option either as it's one of the flagship headphones that can be driven and gives immediate rewards with whatever source you use it on given its impedance then scales up to the level of gear you plug it on. But definitely steer clear if you're treble-sensitive.
Lotoo PMEQ is so well implemented, that K812 shines. Peak gone.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #4,751 of 4,825

Yes, sadly it’s doubtful to get the interest of the newer larger multinational board regarding a product with such a small market.

But I dream of a final special edition tweak to our beloved K812’s. In a beautiful white wedding dress like the K701. Call it a K812S or K812ST lol.

I saw another Austrian poster say on headfi: “hope dies last”

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #4,752 of 4,825
White.....lol.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #4,753 of 4,825
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #4,754 of 4,825
Hot pink would be nice, or maybe a titanium edition.
A tweaked K812S special edition with multiple pads to change signature, in this colorway would steal the spotlight from all else at any show:

82EE3085-DC65-414F-B993-6E3795AAE5EB.jpeg

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #4,755 of 4,825
I wonder what this looks like in real life? I mean I don’t really want it but, I’m not sure there have been many so bright in the audiophile world? I would probably like a metallic version of this? Though truly my favorite color of headphones is black. Just black, with black trim and black accents.
06DB205A-A4F7-4E5E-AA13-5748B26C05AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back