AKG K812 Pro
May 2, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #4,711 of 4,825
By the way guys, just to ask all K812 owners here - Have you found the need to change your pads? I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and the pads are as good as they were when I got them new and to think these are proprietary (no 3rd party) pads. Is it good to say that these are one of the strengths compared to most, if not all, other headphones in the market?

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #4,712 of 4,825
Does anybody know if later production runs fixed the problem of the right side cutting out? The wiring runs through the headband and I guess use stresses it out where the joints are, and it can cut out. I'm not sure if this was fixed on later runs...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #4,713 of 4,825
This is a general mistake of the first series! I had that too.
The entire bracket containing the wiring must be replaced.
The best thing to do is to contact your local AKG service centre and claim this as a series fault and insist on a goodwill/warranty replacement. Don't be surprised, the headphones will then have a new serial number, as this is milled into the bracket.

Later this was fixed!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-07 um 09.21.04.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-07 um 09.21.04.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #4,714 of 4,825
This is a general mistake of the first series! I had that too.
The entire bracket containing the wiring must be replaced.
The best thing to do is to contact your local AKG service centre and claim this as a series fault and insist on a goodwill/warranty replacement. Don't be surprised, the headphones will then have a new serial number, as this is milled into the bracket.

Later this was fixed!
Yes, I believe these were alleviated and fixed immediately especially the Made in Slovakia ones after the initial first run (Austria). Though does anybody have flaking earpads of these yet? Mine is 5 years old and still hasn't flaked yet but I'm worried since the pads on these are proprietary and there are no third-party ones.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #4,715 of 4,825
Yes, I believe these were alleviated and fixed immediately especially the Made in Slovakia ones after the initial first run (Austria). Though does anybody have flaking earpads of these yet? Mine is 5 years old and still hasn't flaked yet but I'm worried since the pads on these are proprietary and there are no third-party ones.
I sold my pair after owning it for 4 years and the pads were ok. Yes, they lost their shape a little bit, but didn't need to replaced.
But why you are worried? You can buy an additional set of original pads. Yes, they are very expensive (about 100 Euro), but since they last for more than 5 years I think it is a fair deal.

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #4,716 of 4,825
I sold my pair after owning it for 4 years and the pads were ok. Yes, they lost their shape a little bit, but didn't need to replaced.
But why you are worried? You can buy an additional set of original pads. Yes, they are very expensive (about 100 Euro), but since they last for more than 5 years I think it is a fair deal.
The thing is sourcing the pads in my location ain't easy (very difficult actually) plus it would probably cost more than that.😕 Anyway, gonna enjoy it until it does show any wear and tear wherein my search for parts will start. The K812 is definitely a keeper for me. 😎

Crystal-clear details with the D14.
0AAEBAA9-E47E-4AC9-9162-E0D34A39CB0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #4,717 of 4,825
Mine are still the original ones from the series under 2000 - I got the bracket myself and Michael Amon (was previously at AKG Service Vienna) https://www.mikrofonservice.at/ repaired it for me.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #4,718 of 4,825
Hi, a question about an amplifier. Is it worth buying a tube amplifier for it, for example, there is a variant of unison research sh for $ 1000. ? I sold the mx hpa musical fidelity balanced amplifier, which did not particularly benefit from the DAC on which I listen. The question is whether it is worth spending on a lamp to make the headphones play in a new way. Who has experience with and without a lamp? My DAC Bel Canto 1.7. The downside is that there is no elastic bass, they are more vague and slow, they say that there are dry highs, probably I got used to it in a couple of months, but I don't hear dryness. Sorry for google translation)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #4,719 of 4,825
After months of burning in, the k812 sounds pretty neutral.
This was completely different when I first used it.
Especially the low and extremely high are of very high quality.
Comparing the HD800, the K812 is much more musical and dynamic in the total range.
I recently started using Sonarworks 4 for headphones and I can tell you that the display quality increases phenomenally.
This is how a hi end headphone should sound like.
You have to experience how the differences are real with or without sonarworks
I had Meze Empyrean on loan, and I kept returning to the K812 from my LPG 2017.

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #4,721 of 4,825
By the way guys, just to ask all K812 owners here - Have you found the need to change your pads? I’ve had mine for close to 5 years and the pads are as good as they were when I got them new and to think these are proprietary (no 3rd party) pads. Is it good to say that these are one of the strengths compared to most, if not all, other headphones in the market?
https://m.thomannmusic.com/akg_k_812_ear_pad.htm

Jun 15, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,722 of 4,825
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #4,723 of 4,825
I notice it indicates ear "pad" so I assume the price is for one pad only?
Unfortunately, yes. They are pricey, but OEM.

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #4,724 of 4,825
The backyard is quiet enough for open back, and the sun is out! AKG K812 time!

Attachments

• 0615211046j.jpg
    0615211046j.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0615211108.jpg
    0615211108.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,725 of 4,825
I just received a new pair from Amazon (shipped from Japan) since I missed owning them, but the left headband adjustment is a bit loose and it slides up unexpectedly when I have them adjusted to fit my somewhat small head - is there a way to tighten the sliders to stay in place? There are small torx screws on the adjusters but tightening them doesn't help to keep them in place...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back