AKG K812 Pro
Jul 25, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #4,651 of 4,824
There's an openness and energy on the 812 and 872 that draw you into the music, no matter what genre it is. I had some concerns with the treble but using the right amp cymbals sound brassy and real, instead of like hissing from a spray can. The treble lines up with the upper mid and the sound gels.

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,652 of 4,824
I picked up a sennheiser HD 800S. I thought that it will the end of my journey with my old k812.... But surprisingly not. Except for classical music I do prefer my old akg for everything else.
This actually makes perfect sense to me, K812 is more well rounded and thicker for everything else. I listen to a massive range of genres, and I need a jack of all trades to tick my boxes.
Any decent desktop amps?
I feel like the THX789 has more than proved itself with time. Measures amazingly for the price with ample amounts of power. https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier
You can also couple it with perhaps the Topping D50s? Measures well above it's price class.

Jul 31, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #4,653 of 4,824
My beloved AKG K812 headphones just started cutting out in the right ear cup. I checked several different cables and found that flexing the headband is what affects it. Has anybody else experienced this? What is the best way to proceed? There is a guy in Austria that will replace the "bow" but it is approximately $535...does anybody on this thread repair them?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #4,656 of 4,824
I have decided I'll just get another pair at some point. Are there any do-it-yourself people out there believing they can fix the right K812 ear cup cutting out? If so, please let me know.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #4,657 of 4,824
Actually I was able to send them to Harmon and get them fixed for much less than I was quoted out of Europe. They work great now again!

0825190909_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,660 of 4,824
the akg k812 has been playing through sonarworks for some time. i love it so far.
However, I have again placed an acoustic vilt off 1 mm. inside the ventilating cups.
the display is thereby positively improved, in particular the low and high are more in balance.
see it as an acoustic adjustment such as a carpet or curtains in a listening room but then for the acoustic space at the headphones.
This tweak costs almost nothing and has an even greater positive response to the overall picture of the already good reproduction.
My damping vild certainly stays in place.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #4,661 of 4,824
Really enjoying this with the Audioquest Dragonfly cobalt.. Honestly only bought it to see if MQA is worth the hype as I have tidal and Qobuz so i can do a comparison..
And is it worth the hype?

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #4,662 of 4,824
I absolutely love the K812's beautiful soundstage and musicality. The soundstage never feels artificial, but yet is expansive. I love the resolution, without being analytical to the point of dry.

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4,663 of 4,824
Does anyone here have experience with Ultrasone's offerings compared to the K812s? I am interested in the AKGs but would like some opinions on their treble performance, eg high violins, flutes etc. Almost all the Ultrasones I have tried (with the exception of the Signature Pros which I found excellent) had horrible, steely highs. Having skimmed this thread and others, there are many who praise the K812's soundstage and richness, but others who dislike their treble performance. My reference headphones are the Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation. I prefer brightish/neutral headphones with very natural reproduction of instrumental tonality plus good sound stage. I am completely unfamiliar with AKGs offerings, so I wondered whether they had any sort of "house sound" or weaknesses (like Ultrasone's nasty highs?). I note that prices have come down in Europe compared with when they first came out.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #4,664 of 4,824
And is it worth the hype?

It depends on the track.. most songs I listen to sounded identical to me... Honestly both have there songs that sound better. I like to listen to classical and jazz on Qobuz. Other genres like pop/rock I tend to listen on tidal.. Qobuz has more Hi-Res audio than Tidal has MQA. One thing on tidal I noticed with MQA vs the CD quality is the track seems slightly louder but in a good way but if you were to listen to the same Hi res track on qobuz most seem identical at least to my ears.. This is whether I am streaming on my desktop or my ipad. Honestly it depends on what you listen to. I literally listen to everthing so it's a hard choice for me on which one to keep. Neither of them can touch the library spotify has at least for what I seem to want to listen to. One thing about Qobuz desktop that really bothers me is you have to hit the play button to the left of the song title and cannot just double click the track whereas on tidal you can just double click anywhere on the track line..

Does anyone here have experience with Ultrasone's offerings compared to the K812s? I am interested in the AKGs but would like some opinions on their treble performance, eg high violins, flutes etc. Almost all the Ultrasones I have tried (with the exception of the Signature Pros which I found excellent) had horrible, steely highs. Having skimmed this thread and others, there are many who praise the K812's soundstage and richness, but others who dislike their treble performance. My reference headphones are the Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation. I prefer brightish/neutral headphones with very natural reproduction of instrumental tonality plus good sound stage. I am completely unfamiliar with AKGs offerings, so I wondered whether they had any sort of "house sound" or weaknesses (like Ultrasone's nasty highs?). I note that prices have come down in Europe compared with when they first came out.

The only ultrasone headphones i have are the Pro900 and soundstage wise the K812 beats them by a landslide. Ultrasone doesn't have a full open headphone like the K812 to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #4,665 of 4,824
Hi all,
i have updated the setup with Chord Mojo, so my signal goes now from Laptop -> SW Reference 4 (Bass 0, Tilt 2) -> Chord Mojo -> Teac AI-301DA -> NI Komplete Audio 6 -> K812

The sound is improved from previous DragonFly Red by much better sound separation and stereo image. Mojo pulls in violet volume level and NI is setted up 50%, so the rest is controlled by Teac amp. My only question is that even i'm quite satisfied now how Teac controls the dynamics, but i'm still wondering if there could be better amp for that purpose. So for me the amp is compressor which supposed to control the dynamics and additionally add some warmth and richness to sound. If you have some recommendation for the amp with Mojo, let me know, thanks!

Over all the sound is now quite addictive and interesting. Only the mids that Teac boosting are a bit overwhelming or over-ruling..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back