AKG K812 Pro
May 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,916 of 4,824
My K812 just arrived, Austrian made with serial number 003195

Man, what a TOP QUALITY PRODUCT, from the packaging to the fit and finish of the headphones. Wow I had almost forgotten how nice these are. Cold out of the box they do sound quite bright, but now I have set them to play on repeat and hope they will settle down like others have described they will do.

Excellent seller as well, here is the add to the Slovakian cans they sell now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-AKG-K812-Over-Ear-Reference-Headphones-K-812-Made-in-Slovakia-/261880551523

Enjoy it, MortenB. It's an excellent pair of cans. :)

May 8, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #3,917 of 4,824
Obviously giving an IEM a decent soundstage is a huge task. Are you saying that the K3003 has a better soundstage than the k812, or just that its shortcomings in areas other than the soundstage make that area stand out?

May 8, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #3,918 of 4,824
I've always found the 3003 more geared towards soundstage. :)

May 8, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #3,919 of 4,824
Actually, they're really quite different. The 3003s seem geared to soundstage above all else, whereas the 812 is much balanced and full range in the sonic spectrum.

above all else? that's not my take on the k3003 but i agree that it does do "soundstage" well for an earphone.

May 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #3,920 of 4,824
A question for you K812 owners... Does the pads on your K812's also look like this on the inside? On mine both the L and the R pad has these big ''boubles'' on the inside of the pads. It does not look right to me...

Thanks for your advise on this.

May 9, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #3,921 of 4,824
Hi MortenB.

These may caused by stand that they sitting on, as the pads are pushed against it and maybe your pair was to long inside packed or pushed harder than ususal, who knows.

May 9, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #3,922 of 4,824
Interesting review, very detailed - well done..! And wow, you certainly did not like these headphones I see. I don't think I have ever read as different opinions on any headphone as on these. People seem to either love them or hate them.

Anyway...

My pair fo K812's are brand new, but have been on the stand, inside the box for who knows how long. If the pads get's damaged by the stand chosen by the manufacturer, that should be a warranty issue.

Any other K812 owners out there with comments on how the pads looks on your headphones?

Thank you so much.

May 9, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #3,924 of 4,824
No problem... You have your opinion and I respect that. And Tyll already destroyed the market for the K812, so not much can make it any worse  
wink.gif
 It's just quite interesting how these cans get's SO different reactions. Some find them the best sounding, best on soundstage, best on comfort and best on just about anything. Others find them quite bad at just about everything... I think this is quite interesting...

May 9, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,925 of 4,824
With all respect, but things are more complex than just Tyll's opinion. To me, things like wrong marketing and heavy competition are much impactful at the end, but thats another story and if you read my review more carefully, you will find there huge disappointment than just disliking, but again, market is overloaded with headphones, so, lots of choices for everyone.

May 9, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #3,926 of 4,824
Yes of course, much more complex than Tyll's opinion. It was ment as a joke, but many buy gear only based on reviews.

Would still love more inputs regarding the pads. Interesting that the one you had  Blackmore were fine when new. I need to decide, if I should contact the seller and ask for a new set of pads under warranty. But if they are supposed to be like this then there is no point.

May 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,927 of 4,824
  Interesting review, very detailed - well done..! And wow, you certainly did not like these headphones I see. I don't think I have ever read as different opinions on any headphone as on these. People seem to either love them or hate them.

Anyway...

My pair fo K812's are brand new, but have been on the stand, inside the box for who knows how long. If the pads get's damaged by the stand chosen by the manufacturer, that should be a warranty issue.

Any other K812 owners out there with comments on how the pads looks on your headphones?

Thank you so much.

I've had the K812 for 2 years and the pads looked almost the same when I bought them and they've not changed much since then. The pads are not great in terms of comfort ( too hot for me) but they're very durable. As far as the construction goes in my opinion the K812 is one of the best flagship headphones on the market. A lot of metal, super comfortable headband (much better than the one of the K7xx series), the unique very comfortable form of the pads, very light single-sided cable, gorgeous Lemo connector...  Not to mention the K812 looks extremely sexy.)) The sound...well... a little bit bright for me.

May 9, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #3,928 of 4,824
Thank you so much for your input... OK, this is another set with pads like this. I guess this is normal then. It just look quite weird, and I wanted to check with you guys.

Yes, they are a bit bright for sure. Just out of the box my pair had almost ZERO bass, so they sounded very bright. They are running on repeat now and have around 40 - 50 hours on them now, and they sound more balanced already. 

Yes, excellent build quality and comfort. The pads does not seem that warm to me, but warmer than my DT-1770 PRO for sure. But the K812 are much more comfortable.

May 9, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #3,929 of 4,824
for my classical needs, i've more or less settled on the old k1000. one amp will deal with both them and the he-6. whether it's the stratus or the WA5 remains to be seen. I wish there were less expensive alternatives currently in production.

May 10, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #3,930 of 4,824
I contacted AKG bout the ''boubles'' on the insde of the pads, just to get their opinion also. They responded within an hour and say that this is perfectly normal for the K812 pads, and that it does not affect sound or comfort in any way. So their response is consistent with your comments.

All seems to be fine. Thanks again for your input - much appreciated 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back