AKG K812 Pro
Dec 15, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #3,781 of 4,825
i think you've misunderstood my motivation for posting here. it certainly wasn't to dissuade folks from buying the k812.

Whatever it was, your motivation sure was a strong one. Yours and a handful of others throughout this thread. Almost had me fooled as to your purpose. But I'm glad to be proven wrong.

clearly my comments haven't deterred you, but you are an akg fan so i guess that's to be expected.

Yes. Through and through. From K240 to K702 and now K812. Best suits the type of music I like. From classical to jazz to folk/acoustic.

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,782 of 4,825
it does appear to have bothered you. perhaps you're the one who is too personally "invested" here? you're enjoying the k812 regardless of what i or anyone else think of it, and that's all that really matters. best not to take these differences of opinion to heart. like i said, it is a headphone forum after all.

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #3,783 of 4,825
  Very strange.

Over the last weeks, managed to read through the entire thread, only to keep seeing the same posters comment again and again just to dump on AKG and these cans, quote Tyll ad nauseam, and swear some people on here are wrong to prefer the K812 over the HD800...

If you don't own them, listened to them and didn't care for them -- or worse, never even listened to them, why dump on them for post after post from 2013 on to 2015? It's like there's something personal invested. 

Just bizarre.

I own both and still use the HD800 way more than the K812 (kept the K812 for its portable, or rather transportable capability).

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #3,784 of 4,825
i listen to classical and acoustic jazz.
for orchestral music i prefer the spaciousness of the hd800.
for solo piano, however, the k812 is clearly superior- the attack of each note is much cleaner.  this is most obvious when the playing is staccato, of course, less so with legato.   with the hd800 the beginning of each note is a little smudged.  the effect is less clear with solo violin, i suspect because the piano is - after all - a percussion instrument.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,785 of 4,825
it does appear to have bothered you. perhaps you're the one who is too personally "invested" here? you're enjoying the k812 regardless of what i or anyone else think of it, and that's all that really matters. best not to take these differences of opinion to heart. like i said, it is a headphone forum after all.

I for one appreciate you bashing the K812, perhaps in some small way you helped to lower demand for them and push the price down a bit for me ($799 on Massdrop)!  

Drew

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #3,787 of 4,825
What kind of 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter do you guys use?  My generic adapter gives off a distortion noise when the cable is accidentally pulled...must be defective.  Thanks.
As a fan of the 'AKG Sound' for 20+ years, I prefer it more than Sennheiser, HiFi-Man, or any other headphones.  My only criticism is the rather flimsy cable.  Do you guys really think expensive cables make a real difference or just snake oil?

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,788 of 4,825
  What kind of 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter do you guys use?  My generic adapter gives off a distortion noise when the cable is accidentally pulled...must be defective.  Thanks.
As a fan of the 'AKG Sound' for 20+ years, I prefer it more than Sennheiser, HiFi-Man, or any other headphones.  My only criticism is the rather flimsy cable.  Do you guys really think expensive cables make a real difference or just snake oil?

Buy them but not for the sound difference, but for your own needs eg. quality of the cable, length, termination etc. How much you spend and how different they sound is up to you.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3,789 of 4,825
  Buy them but not for the sound difference, but for your own needs eg. quality of the cable, length, termination etc. How much you spend and how different they sound is up to you.

Thats exactly what I would have recommended to @MozartMan1201 
I think on a technical level the original cable is fine. It just doesn't look very good and feels a bit thin, but I recon it would withstand some abuse as the K812 targets a professional audience.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #3,790 of 4,825
FWIW, I loved the sound of my K812's except for the bass - very accurate and tight, but not much to it. What I did was download EqualizerAPO which installs a equalizer that can be used with any sound device (such as my Schiit stack). You have to download another program for the GUI though (I use one called Peace). I boosted the low bass levels by about 5-10 dB depending on the frequency. It might be a tad too bassy now (need to toy a little more), but it definitely has subwoofer bass performance now, without any noticeable effect on the other frequencies. The treble is still very clear and detailed, so I am much happier than just using an unEQ'd setup.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,791 of 4,825
LOL ?
K812 hasn't much bass ? You can not be serious
wink.gif
. For me the bass quantity is nearly perfect. If you need more you have to go with Audeze, Fostex or something similar.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,792 of 4,825
  LOL ?
K812 hasn't much bass ? You can not be serious
wink.gif
. For me the bass quantity is nearly perfect. If you need more you have to go with Audeze, Fostex or something similar.

Hah, Audeze and Fostex are in totally different leagues when it comes to bass quantity.  

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,794 of 4,825

And that's what I said !

I mean they're even in totally different leagues from one another.  Fostex bass quantity is off the charts.  For kicks I just grabbed this from headphone.com

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3431&graphID[]=4303&graphID[]=3841&scale=30

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,795 of 4,825
Hah, Audeze and Fostex are in totally different leagues when it comes to bass quantity.  

and quality too as the K812 has mid-fi bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back