AKG K81 DJ Recable help.
Oct 10, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tailes151

New Head-Fier
Alright, so I just ordered some K81's and they should be getting here in a couple days. I'm already concerned about the cheap cables that theyre supposed to come with so I was hoping someone could lead a total re-cable noob in the direction I need to take. I'm not trying to make them sound better or anything like that, I just want them to be better quality cables.

So, since I know absolutely nothing about recabling -- what do I need to get and what do I need to do with it? How much can I expect to pay?

Thanks for the help, sorry if it's a repost my search came up with nothing.

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 2

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
It's actually pretty easy to do, this is what you'll need:

Soldering Iron
Multimeter (or at least ohmeter) to check continuity
Solder
Desoldering Braid

Wire - I always suggest 24AWG SPC (Silver Plated Copper) for headphones, it's flexible and easy to work with. I get mine off ebay from navships, it's less than $10 / 50 ft.

3.5mm or 1/4" plug - this should depend on your source.

As for the actual recable, there are tons of recable guides, just read over a few and you'll know exactly what you need to do. Also, VERY IMPORTANT! Build the wire and make sure it works BEFORE DOING ANYTHING with the headphones. You don't want to start taking the headphones apart or cutting any wires before you've finished building your cable, that's just asking for trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread