AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones vs Beyerdynamic DT990's 250ohm
May 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

implodingtreble

New Head-Fier
Need help choosing guys. This will be my first set of expensive cans.

AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition $200

Description taken from the massdrop page:

Massdrop x AKG

In 2012, AKG released the 65th anniversary edition of their K702 to instant acclaim. Built with a bass boost, improved comfort, and matched transducers, the limited edition K702 became a legend in the audiophile community for its sound and build quality. Following the success of the Q701 drop in June, we asked AKG if we could configure our own edition of the K702 65th, and they agreed based on their faith in the Massdrop community. Configured by Massdrop, manufactured by AKG, and made possible by you, the AKG K7XX Massdrop Limited Edition Headphones bring you rare sound at an even rarer price.

Matched Response

Using the same dynamic driver technology as the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the open back headphones have been tweaked to deliver an extended frequency response and a wide, locationally specific soundstage that puts you closer to the source than most cans. The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB for fully immersive sound imaging. To make sure that the channels are synced up and well-balanced, each transducer is individually tested and paired to a transducer with the closest possible sound signature. To see just how well the channels match, look at the below graph featuring an overlay of each driver's frequency response.

Well Put Together

Built with your comfort in mind, the adjustable leather headband and memory foam earpads can be worn for hours at a time without fatigue. AKG removed the bumps that come standard on their headbands, giving you a fully smooth surface. Completing the package, the nearly 10’ cable is detachable and can be easily replaced if the need arises.

Specs

1. Configured by Massdrop
  2. Manufactured by AKG
  3. Open-back construction
  4. Pre-selected dynamic transducers
  5. Flat-wire voice coil
  6. Varimotion two-layer diaphragm
  7. Genuine leather headband
  8. Memory foam earpads with velour covering
  9. Individually tested and numbered
  10. Detachable 9.8 ft (3 m) straight cable with 1/8 in (3.5 mm) jack
  11. Frequency response: 10 to 39,800 Hz
  12. Sensitivity: 105 dB/V
  13. Maximum input power: 200 mW
  14. Rated impedance: 62 Ohms
  15. 8.3 oz (235 g)

I do plan on buying a magni 2 amp and will eventually need to buy a modi 2 for a DAC. So powering these 62 Ohm cans shouldn't be a problem. But is it worth the 200 compared to picking up a set of 990's 250 ohm used for half the price. I listen to all types of music and plan on using these for gaming as well. Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thanks guys. 

May 27, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 21
you need an amp for both, perhaps stronger amp for DT, If you have an amp then go for DT. I personally like DT better than my K702. be advised though that the DT has strong Bass and treble...while the K702 is more natural. Separation is better on the DT while the soundstage is wider on K702. I personally like the dt990.

May 28, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 21
The DT990s have their use, like plugged into a modern A/V receiver for watching action movies.
Their strong bass/treble slightly over shadows the mids (but the mids are clear).
Where as the K7XX offers a more balanced sound :)
So I say to get the K7XX.

May 28, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 21
thank you Sam and Angel for weighing in. I figure the K7XX would work better, if I want to tweak the sound I can always do that in the eq settings on my computer for music. Otherwise a more balanced sound it ideal for gaming and movies no?

May 28, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 21
thank you Sam and Angel for weighing in. I figure the K7XX would work better, if I want to tweak the sound I can always do that in the eq settings on my computer for music. Otherwise a more balanced sound it ideal for gaming and movies no?

I think for long term listening, you do not want a lot of bass shooting into your ears for hours on end.
The DT990 250-Ohm has what might come across as a bloated bass, where I think a little less loud and better control, is more desirable (K7XX).

May 28, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 21
Purple angel, you should try Q40 and sz2000, destroy dt990 bass wise... For horror gaming I prefer huge bass, heck, even headphones with vibration like the skullcandy crusher.

May 28, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 21

I think for long term listening, you do not want a lot of bass shooting into your ears for hours on end.
The DT990 250-Ohm has what might come across as a bloated bass, where I think a little less loud and better control, is more desirable (K7XX).

Gotcha, thank you for your imput. And thank you Sam too! I think given the price/specs/and what you explained to me Angel, I'm going to have go with the K7XX. :)

May 28, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 21
  Purple angel, you should try Q40 and sz2000, destroy dt990 bass wise... For horror gaming I prefer huge bass, heck, even headphones with vibration like the skullcandy crusher.

I use the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, with my A/V receiver, it has better bass control, then the DT990 250-Ohm.

May 30, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 21
Hey PurpleAngel, I got one more question for you regarding K7XX since you own them. Out of curiosity do you know have any good cases for the K7XX? I know from a review that the Slappa case fits a little too snug. So I'm trying to find a good solution. Also searching here on head-fi didn't show any results. Looking at something I can put in my backpack. 

May 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 21
Hey PurpleAngel, I got one more question for you regarding K7XX since you own them. Out of curiosity do you know have any good cases for the K7XX? I know from a review that the Slappa case fits a little too snug. So I'm trying to find a good solution. Also searching here on head-fi didn't show any results. Looking at something I can put in my backpack. 

This case works well with all of the Q/K7 series: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C

May 30, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 21
  Hey PurpleAngel, I got one more question for you regarding K7XX since you own them. Out of curiosity do you know have any good cases for the K7XX? I know from a review that the Slappa case fits a little too snug. So I'm trying to find a good solution. Also searching here on Head-Fi didn't show any results. Looking at something I can put in my backpack. 

I have not bought a case for the K7XX, yet.
but when I do buy headphone cases, I usually buy a case off eBay for $20-$25.

May 31, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 21
This case works well with all of the Q/K7 series: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C

Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for a hard style case. To my understanding, this case is great to prevent bumps and scratches but nothing too extreme. Really would like to be able to throw my headphones in my backpack with peace in mind.

I have not bought a case for the K7XX, yet.
but when I do buy headphone cases, I usually buy a case off eBay for $20-$25.

Gotcha, didn't even think about looking there. Thanks

May 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping for a hard style case. To my understanding, this case is great to prevent bumps and scratches but nothing too extreme. Really would like to be able to throw my headphones in my backpack with peace in mind.

That's a pretty hard case. It's not a Pelican case, but it's as tough as the Slappa cases.

May 31, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 21

That's a pretty hard case. It's not a Pelican case, but it's as tough as the Slappa cases.

Okay cool. Sounds good then. Thanks for the suggestion

I would go to AKG route, DT990 is very bright and V shaped, both have it strengths and weakness .

cheers

That's what I'm hearing. The low ohms also help because a dac/amp is not really required but eventually they will help bring more to the AKGs right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back