AKG K702 Impressions.
May 23, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #271 of 636

Breaking in my new Wywires Red headphone cable. Alex says it needs 100 hours. Playing Jango internet radio 24/7. Mine says "Made in Austria".

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #272 of 636
Oh, man!!!
basshead.gif

I though I was obsessed ... (some of my friends tell me so)

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #274 of 636
  i am planig to buy them since i feel seenhesier hd 600 was veil HiFiMAN HE-400i sound it not so clear for me and Beyerdynamic DT990  was to  litle for my ears sound it not so clear also. i wonder if i can listen to akg 702 just with a portable cd without amp?

Both DT880 Pro and K702 are clearer than the headphones you've mentioned.
Both need the same voltage to work fine, but DT880 needs less current and easier to drive in the big scheme of things.
It's hard to tell how well K702 will work with your source without the exact specifications.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #275 of 636

Both DT880 Pro and K702 are clearer than the headphones you've mentioned.
Both need the same voltage to work fine, but DT880 needs less current and easier to drive in the big scheme of things.
It's hard to tell how well K702 will work with your source without the exact specifications.

I currently have the 702. I was thinking HD 600 as my next upgrade. I don't think 702 is better than HD 600 in any ways. Plus I found it lifeless without an amp. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #276 of 636
  I currently have the 702. I was thinking HD 600 as my next upgrade. I don't think 702 is better than HD 600 in any ways. Plus I found it lifeless without an amp. 

Well, that's a matter of taste and your preferred recordings play a huge role here as well.
Both scale with quality gear, but the AKG is more tricky without a proper setup.

The AKG has a clearer sound, tighter and much more layered bass and way bigger soundstage.
If I were forced to rank them I would say the AKG K702 is superior than the Sennheiser HD600, because it's more technical and I prefer that, but both are superb headphones in their own fashion.

That said your recordings are key, if you are going to listen to (let's say) Nightwish the Sennheiser will sound admirably while the AKG might sound lifeless. Pick a top class acoustic recording full of fine details and space cues and the AKG will shine, while the Senn will sound nice but not that great.

All in all, the AKG is more of a race car, while the HD600 is a sport sedan.

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #277 of 636

Well, that's a matter of taste and your preferred recordings play a huge role here as well.
Both scale with quality gear, but the AKG is more tricky without a proper setup.

The AKG has a clearer sound, tighter and much more layered bass and way bigger soundstage.
If I were forced to rank them I would say the AKG K702 is superior than the Sennheiser HD600, because it's more technical and I prefer that, but both are superb headphones in their own fashion.

That said your recordings are key, if you are going to listen to (let's say) Nightwish the Sennheiser will sound admirably while the AKG might sound lifeless. Pick a top class acoustic recording full of fine details and space cues and the AKG will shine, while the Senn will sound nice but not that great.

All in all, the AKG is more of a race car, while the HD600 is a sport sedan.

I agree with most of what you've written.
The K701's, K702's, and Q701's absolutely need amplification to sound right - especially with regard to dynamics.

I can't comment on the comparison with the 600 as I've never owned those.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #279 of 636
...my impression after I did the bass mod some time ago: the 702 plays in a different league now! The all over sound signature remained, super clear, super precise, super crisp, but now with that little more in the bass region, which gives the music the substance it needs to sound more "realistic", even over a headphone.
A small change, that makes a big difference.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #281 of 636
Same here - torn between K702, HD600 and K553. Need something that translates good. Like the AKG soundstage. Haven't listened to any of them but interesting comparison about the HD600 and the K702.
Make mostly classical music like soundtracks, trailer music etc but some EDM and electro and synthwave and need to hear a bass that translates good from what I hear.
Open or closed dosen't matter, as long as they translate good :)

More inputs are welcome!

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #282 of 636
I own the K702 and the HD580 which is almost sounding like the HD600 but with a little less treble.
For music production the K702 is great.
For listening to music, I like my HD580 more.
But thats what you can read in all the reviews here.
The best would be if you could listen to them of course.
And if you don't need to go for a closed back headphone necessarily, I would go for an open back one.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #283 of 636
  Same here - torn between K702, HD600 and K553. Need something that translates good. Like the AKG soundstage. Haven't listened to any of them but interesting comparison about the HD600 and the K702.
Make mostly classical music like soundtracks, trailer music etc but some EDM and electro and synthwave and need to hear a bass that translates good from what I hear.
Open or closed dosen't matter, as long as they translate good :)

More inputs are welcome!

Haven't heard any of the Senns, but the AKG's given their relative lack of bass, do have a rather smooth bass hump which extends for a few hundred hertz. It's bizzare because unlike other headphones which would have this too, it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the rest of the frequency range, however for me it is definitely there. Remember you can always eq them, but I think for classical they are great. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #284 of 636
  Haven't heard any of the Senns, but the AKG's given their relative lack of bass, do have a rather smooth bass hump which extends for a few hundred hertz. It's bizzare because unlike other headphones which would have this too, it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the rest of the frequency range, however for me it is definitely there. Remember you can always eq them, but I think for classical they are great. 

AKG K702 has extremely low levels of harmonic distortion in the bass. Similar to the HD800 and better than the newer HD800S.
In my experience, given quality recordings, it can hit fast and hard and never bleeds into the midrange.

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #285 of 636

AKG K702 has extremely low levels of harmonic distortion in the bass. Similar to the HD800 and better than the newer HD800S.
In my experience, given quality recordings, it can hit fast and hard and never bleeds into the midrange.

Ah is that what it is? Yeah well they are pretty good at not bleeding that's for sure. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back