AKG K702 Impressions.
Apr 19, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #256 of 636
As far as I'm concerned the AKG K702 is without doubt, one of the great headphone bargain buys. This a a headphone that was frequently reviewed in groups that cost much more (inc the HD800 for example) and always did well. That was impressive at its original price, but at the £120-ish ($170-ish) that it can easily be found for now, it is a complete steal.

It's evenness of tone, comfort and open sound staging are impressive by any standard, but for the price, which is less than most BEATS phones, they should just walk of the shelves.

May 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #257 of 636
I agree twelve bears. A couple of months ago I was able to put the 300 continuous hours of music through mine. BIG improvement. Today I made another big improvement. A WyWires Red headphone cable. It has kicked them up a notch or two and its 5 foot length is perfect. It and my HD 600s are both very comfortable  headphones with great performance for their price. Perfect if you like to listen to tunes while you surf the internet!

May 20, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #259 of 636
  Is FiiO E12 a non-appropriate amp for this? I always here distortion in bass, when pushed even on high gain. Or my headphones are fake? I got it from Amazon anyway.

701s and 702s are hard to drive. You need decent power. My Schiit Vali2 drives them well for a smaller low cost amp. 

May 21, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #261 of 636
  Is FiiO E12 a non-appropriate amp for this? I always here distortion in bass, when pushed even on high gain. Or my headphones are fake? I got it from Amazon anyway.

FiiO E12 has plenty of power for K702, enough to blow the drivers.

May 21, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #262 of 636
Is there an audio difference between the old Austrian model and the newer Chinese one? also, I'm not gonna be able to drive them with the fiio e10, right?

Main difference is that the Austrian version has the bumps on the headband while the Chinese version has the newer, less annoying flat headband. According to AKG there's no sound quality difference between Austrian and Chinese K702.
I had the Chinese one, and driver matching was impressive, among the best I've seen.

E10 will drive them just fine. If you listen to music at moderate levels you won't even need to go High Gain.

May 21, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #264 of 636
  I agree on paper, but in reality when I have the stuff right beside me.. what I hear is some sort of clipping at higher volumes if I am not wrong.

If your source (the recording) is not clipped, then that's certainly a problem.

Maybe you are pushing your drivers far too loud, beyond what they are designed for.
Maybe the drivers are already slightly damaged and that's why you get distortion at loud levels.

May 21, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #265 of 636
If your source (the recording) is not clipped, then that's certainly a problem.

Maybe you are pushing your drivers far too loud, beyond what they are designed for.
Maybe the drivers are already slightly damaged and that's why you get distortion at loud levels.
The last one can be the reason. I tried lot of music on them. And they always had this problem, when driven beyond 12 o clock on the fiio, which is bad. I used the same amp with k551 and beoplay h6 but it didn't show any issue.

May 21, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #266 of 636
Try Ember amp, they sound glorious there.

My k702 is weird, the cup says made in Austria, the headband got a small sticker says made in china, the box says made in China. Which one should i believe?

May 21, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #267 of 636
Try Ember amp, they sound glorious there.

My k702 is weird, the cup says made in Austria, the headband got a small sticker says made in china, the box says made in China. Which one should i believe?

Yeah, that's a weird one.
I think bumpless headband means made in china.

May 22, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #269 of 636
The Austrian made K-7-series were truly an amazing achievement, one of the true best reference headphones of any below $750. Getting k702's or k701's with bass port mod, off a good source, is getting you pretty damned close to tasting perfection already.

AKG K7-'s, are like the reference point of diminishing gains, in the headphone world. Nothing above them gets you as much as you ever thought it might. These are and will continue to be truly great headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back