AKG K702 - how to get the best out of them
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #31 of 34

Quote:

I just received my WA6 and I'm going to vouch for the WA6 pairing as well.  It may be slightly underpowered but it would probably make the phones less piercing to the ears of some people.
Since I also have the Burson my feeling of the pairings can pretty much be summarised like this (yes been doing a lot of back and forth between the amps):
Burson Audio HA-160: if you like the sound signature of the K701 just the way it is go for this one, however it will only give you more of the same (keeps the phone to a very analytical and articulated sound, plus puts more extension on both ends)
Woo Audio WA6: if you feel that the K701 is too analytical, bright and bass light and would like to "fix" the sound signature go for this combo, the standard drive tubes included will do this (adds bass emphasis, smoother and lush sound), plus you have the options to roll in tubes later

Another great advice. Thanks. I didn't want to make this thread too focused on amplifiers but I think now the title is asking for it.
So keep your thought coming and I will try to make a summary at the end for more convenience.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

I just received my WA6 and I'm going to vouch for the WA6 pairing as well.  It may be slightly underpowered but it would probably make the phones less piercing to the ears of some people.
Since I also have the Burson my feeling of the pairings can pretty much be summarised like this (yes been doing a lot of back and forth between the amps):
Burson Audio HA-160: if you like the sound signature of the K701 just the way it is go for this one, however it will only give you more of the same (keeps the phone to a very analytical and articulated sound, plus puts more extension on both ends)
Woo Audio WA6: if you feel that the K701 is too analytical, bright and bass light and would like to "fix" the sound signature go for this combo, the standard drive tubes included will do this (adds bass emphasis, smoother and lush sound), plus you have the options to roll in tubes later

Congrats on the purchase.  I heard the WA6 w/ Jack's new teflon tube adapters and 7N7 tubes recently.  It's fantastic.  Unequivocally better than the drop in tubes.  The adapters are available outside of Woo Audio too, in case you're wondering.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #34 of 34
How the amp section of the HA 160 DS compare to the HA 160 ? I was planning to get the HA 160 again since i loved it but I dont mind paying the extra money to get the DAC considering the space it will save for me. Thanks in advance. 

Right now I am thinking to get the HA 160 and use my current DAC (Bresford Caiman which work fine as a preamp ) and buy the HRT in future for my high resolution files. But since the 160DS can handle that resolution it be a nice purchase for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back