AKG K702 Headband Painful?
Sep 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

peli_kan

100+ Head-Fier
The K701 has spread quite a bit of pain with its headband, but has the K702 improved on its design? Marketing literature says yes, but I'd like K702 owners to comment on this.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 33
I've got the 702 and I think they missed the mark on the headband comfort issue. As I said in another thread, I'm noticing it less and less. So, either the band is breaking in or I'm getting used to it. I don't have a wide, square, or blocky skull.
jecklinsmile.gif
That idea is inaccurate.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 has spread quite a bit of pain with its headband, but has the K702 improved on its design? Marketing literature says yes, but I'd like K702 owners to comment on this.

I've found that with new K701 bending the headband alongside several times helps a lot. I've had some unpleasant sensations for quite a long time (after wearing them for more than 2-3 hours), but they have been perfectly fine since a few months.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 33
Some K 701/2's have 7 bumps on their headbands, and some have 8. I'm not sure which one's the newer revision, or whether they're just the result of manufacturing variations. Come someone confirm this, and the reasons for it? I'm also not sure, but is it possible that they changed the number of bumps to increase the comfort? I own a 702 with 8 bumps, and have had no discomfort issues at all.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some K 701/2's have 7 bumps on their headbands, and some have 8. I'm not sure which one's the newer revision, or whether they're just the result of manufacturing variations. Come someone confirm this, and the reasons for it? I'm also not sure, but is it possible that they changed the number of bumps to increase the comfort? I own a 702 with 8 bumps, and have had no discomfort issues at all.

My 701 has seven bumps - the largest is in the middle of the headband. I guess this one may cause some discomfort until it became softer.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWysokinski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 701 has seven bumps - the largest is in the middle of the headband. I guess this one may cause some discomfort until it became softer.

You can twist and bend the headband and generally exercise the bump in the middle, but it does not really get any softer, just more flexible. If you are extreme, you can cut off the bump(s). That will most certainly improve the comfort.
The newer versions of 701/702 have 8 bumps, which helps a lot.

Sep 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can twist and bend the headband and generally exercise the bump in the middle, but it does not really get any softer, just more flexible. If you are extreme, you can cut off the bump(s). That will most certainly improve the comfort.

No need to do so, mine is perfectly ok
k701smile.gif
Besides, that would decrease re-sale value a lot. Fortunately, the band improves over time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calypso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The newer versions of 701/702 have 8 bumps, which helps a lot.

I wonder if AKG updated cans photo on the packaging?

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 33
I don't have any headband discomfort with my 702s. I'm not a big an of the earcup shape though. I prefer Senn's oval to AKG's round cups. Gee, isn't the shape of the ear oval?

What I do find weird is that there is such an extreme bend in the AKGs (at least my 271 and 702s) that the when not on the head, the cups come together. This isn't the case with the Senns. I wonder if that contributes to some discomfort that gets experienced.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 33
I've had enough discomfort with the K701 to actually physically remove the bumps with a knife, but for sure the comfort factor will vary according to how thick your hair is and how your head is shaped. I happen to have a shaved head most of the time and my head is oval-shaped so that single bump on the middle really exerted a lot of pressure on top of my head (and I doubt K702's 8 bumps would have really helped the matter too much, it's just be two pressure points instead of one). If you have a full bed of hair and/or have a flatter top head then it may not be so bad.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 33
I have no discomfort with the 701 whatsoever.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 33
Depends entirely on how much hair you have.

Any sort of bumps on the headband results in greater pressure being put on less surface area. The greatest comfort would result from no bumps at all where the pressure is spread out over a large area.

An example of this is the dt880. Much more comfortable than the 702.

When I have a fresh haircut, it's painful after an hour or so. Though at the moment I have much more hair so it's not a big issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back