AKG K702 burn in...
Nov 3, 2009 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24
Hey guys. I recently picked up a pair of AKG K702's to use with my Grace M902. So far the sound is amazing with only one problem being sibilance in the vocals. I'm just wondering will this sibilance go away after burn in? How long is the burn in? and is my Grace M902 built in AMP good enough to bring the AKG K702's to at least 90% of it's potential?

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 24
I've been reading up on this headphone. It's been stated several times that at least a 300 hour burn in time is necessary before you start criticizing them.
confused_face.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't think sibilance goes away because you get "used to it." Sibilance always sounds like sibilance, and to me it is always noticeable. If the issue isn't solved by burning in your phones for awhile, the issue is likely your source, or the recordings you are listening to are sibilant. Sometimes a good phone just reveals what is on the recording.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 24
Burn-in is very important with the K701. I've done a side-by-side of a burned in K701 next to a brand new K702, and they sound like different headphones. The sound will open up more and become a little less harsh over time, which should help with your sibilance issue. I would definitely give these puppies time before judging them, especially if the sound signature prior to burn-in sounds promising for what you like.

I agree with the above poster that said that the K701s may just be revealing sibilance in some of your recordings. I have some recordings that sound piercing because of the sibilance in the recording, whereas other tracks don't have this problem at all. The AKGs are very revealing and will not gloss over these recording issues.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 24
It is not always the recordings that have issues but the headphones themselves - and their exaggerated highs. K70x have dominant highs - and either accept it or move on to some other offerings, alternatively look up that thread and pay heed to what PiccoloNamek has to say, for he is a wise man
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 24
Thanks guys. These headphones are very sensitive to something as small as placement on my head. I found the perfect placement which resulted in a clearer and more expansive sound. Everything sounds absolutely crystal clear, with deep, natural and tight bass. The midrange is absolutely jaw dropping real on some songs and painfully sibilant in other songs. It just may be the source recording. The soundstage is very, very large.
atsmile.gif

Just one question. I have the Grace M902 and I know it's highly regarded here as a great AMP/DAC combo. I'm just wondering would the build in SS AMP in the Grace M902 have no trouble driving the AKG K702 to the max?
redface.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True; and after 10 000 hours drivers will fail and it will be the final step towards sibilance elimination! And what bass it will have had by then!

lol, this what's happened to you.
ph34r.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashirgo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just do believe in the ultimate burn-in
smily_headphones1.gif

On the other hand, does anyone know what is the lifetime span of dynamic drivers?

lol, Before 2012, or after?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back