1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AKG K702 AMP/DAC

1. AnalyticsX
    Since I needed a good gaming headphone I looked up Mad Lust Envy's Guide and I took the AKG K702 because of it good analytic sound to hear the enemys.
    I know they lack a bit of bass but I don't hear music with the PC so it does not really matter.

However, I've read that they need a good AMP/DAC because they need "a lot" of power.

Does the Creative Sound Blasterx G5 has enough power to actually use the headphones with their full potential?

My budget is 120 euro.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 2:54 PM
  2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    For games power won't matter as much as gain. If you can get the signal strong enough but there's enough power to not clip, you won't notice the difference of higher distortion levels on a soundcard amp circuit on games. Barring outright driver overexcursion and the like you're not going to notice that the explosion sounds a little off the way you'd notice that for example a hit on the bass drum is kind of flabby or sounds hollow.

That said, if you have a spare PCIe slot, might as well get the AE-5. That has power comparable to a Schiit Magni v1.

3. AnalyticsX
    First of all thank you!

I do not have enough space for a AE-5.

So would the creative soundblaster G5 a good alternative? With enoug power?
    Even tho the difference wouldn't be that much I would like to have an extern solution because the soundchip on my mainboard isn't the best.

4. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    If your motherboard has the DSP features you need anyway you can just save up for an AudioGD NFB-11 and run a digital signal to it from the motherboard.

You still get DSP for gaming and have a DAC-HPamp with the kind of clean higher power output that the K702 can utilize more for music.