AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Jul 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #2,776 of 3,394
Quote:
Sorry, I looked at that before and did a bit more homework. It's still 3 pin, therefore, not truly balanced. You'd have to open and do the 4 pin jack mod.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/483861/guide-balanced-akg-k702-with-detachable-4-pin-mini-xlr-cable
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2012/04/balancing-akg-k702-headphone.html

Yeah, after I found that page i read a thread on it basically saying it's BS.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #2,777 of 3,394
Yo guys, looking for a new headphone that sound very different from my HD600s and DT 880 250 ohm Pros.  I also have the Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber.  Some people recommended me this, just need more opinions before buying them.  I listen to all types of genres.  If you guys don't think the K702 Anniversarys is what I'm looking for can you guys recommend me other phones that sound different than the HD600s and 880 250 ohm pros?

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #2,778 of 3,394
Yo guys, looking for a new headphone that sound very different from my HD600s and DT 880 250 ohm Pros.  I also have the Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber.  Some people recommended me this, just need more opinions before buying them.  I listen to all types of genres.  If you guys don't think the K702 Anniversarys is what I'm looking for can you guys recommend me other phones that sound different than the HD600s and 880 250 ohm pros?

I haven't heard the 880's but I have the HD 600's. The Anniversaries, to me, are much faster sounding and more open in the top end than the 600's. The 600's are a bit warmer sounding

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,779 of 3,394
Quote:
I haven't heard the 880's but I have the HD 600's. The Anniversaries, to me, are much faster sounding and more open in the top end than the 600's. The 600's are a bit warmer sounding

The Annies are so neutral they are hard to explain...they do have a warm sound to them, but it's more than just a rolled off treble trick, it has resolution, it's just very refined and smooth.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2,780 of 3,394
So I've spent short of two weeks with my new K702 ANV, serial 26xx. I've been a/b/c'ing it with my other headphones (T1, D7000, D7100) on my also new Fostex HP-A8. Here are my 2 cents on the ANV:

- Packaging is very nice, the box is just medium-sized, nothing overkill. However it does give the impression of a "Statement" product.

- The headphone is very comfortable. The bumpless headband and the new pads are superb. Much better than any old x70x. I can stand it for up to 3 hours before my head's crown starts hurting, compared to 45 minutes - 1 hour on my old Q701. 

- It has a rather warm sound. Nothing like the K701 or even the Q701, I've not heard the regular K702 though. I would not say it is like HD 650-ish warm, but the brightness that was present on the Q701 is 404 here. Music just flows effortlessly through it. Very lush, very musical. That being said, details and sound stage are somewhat lacking, and it is obvious when I go back to the T1. The small bass boost does play a part here, making the ANV a versatile headphone.

Overall the ANV manifests itself as a very good mid tier headphone. It is not as fun or lively as the D7000/D7100, nor is it as technically capable or accurate sounding as the T1. Yet if for some reason I had to sell all my flagships and keep only the ANV, I think I'd actually be okay. Everything I throw at it sounds magnificently beautiful and it actually has good comfort to boot. For under $400 the ANV hard to beat, get it while you can! :D

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,781 of 3,394
So I've spent short of two weeks with my new K702 ANV, serial 26xx. I've been a/b/c'ing it with my other headphones (T1, D7000, D7100) on my also new Fostex HP-A8. Here are my 2 cents on the ANV:

- Packaging is very nice, the box is just medium-sized, nothing overkill. However it does give the impression of a "Statement" product.

- The headphone is very comfortable. The bumpless headband and the new pads are superb. Much better than any old x70x. I can stand it for up to 3 hours before my head's crown starts hurting, compared to 45 minutes - 1 hour on my old Q701. 

- It has a rather warm sound. Nothing like the K701 or even the Q701, I've not heard the regular K702 though. I would not say it is like HD 650-ish warm, but the brightness that was present on the Q701 is 404 here. Music just flows effortlessly through it. Very lush, very musical. That being said, details and sound stage are somewhat lacking, and it is obvious when I go back to the T1. The small bass boost does play a part here, making the ANV a versatile headphone.

Overall the ANV manifests itself as a very good mid tier headphone. It is not as fun or lively as the D7000/D7100, nor is it as technically capable or accurate sounding as the T1. Yet if for some reason I had to sell all my flagships and keep only the ANV, I think I'd actually be okay. Everything I throw at it sounds magnificently beautiful and it actually has good comfort to boot. For under $400 the ANV hard to beat, get it while you can! :D

Burn 'em in more they get better! Surprised to hear the comments on soundstage and detail being "lacking". I find them incredibly detailed, it's just not bright or forced, it's smooth detail, just like the bass it just seems to come up with the goods when needed, but you'd never call it a bass heavy headphone.

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,784 of 3,394
Quote:

Thank you for your impressions. I am in fact getting rid of my T1 and D7000 for a mid-fi headphone so its nice to know I might be OK 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Going to try out the X1 first as the price is more appealing but the Annie is defiantly my next headphone if the X1 doesn't work out.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #2,785 of 3,394
As my reference cans are currently the original K701, I think I'm all set without the slight upgrades.  Having said that, this edition does look sweet, just not THAT sweet.
-Cheers

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2,786 of 3,394
Quote:
Thank you for your impressions. I am in fact getting rid of my T1 and D7000 for a mid-fi headphone so its nice to know I might be OK 
bigsmile_face.gif
. Going to try out the X1 first as the price is more appealing but the Annie is defiantly my next headphone if the X1 doesn't work out.

I have not heard the X1, but definitely give the Annies a try if you can. For me the Annies is the first and only AKG that I can actually justify spending money on. I could have gone with the K701 a long time ago however the headband was an instant deal breaker. A reviewer on amazon said the Annies are "a K702 for the masses", which is a very fitting description IMO.

And to those concerned the lack of details and sound stage is in relation to the T1 which is arguably the second most detailed and spacious sounding dynamic driver headphone (behind the HD 800). It's hard to achieve a lush, warm sound while retaining all the details at this price range, trade-offs are inevitable. Some may even prefer the Annies for a daily driver desktop headphone over the 1k+ flagships. In terms of driver efficiency, it is somewhat in between the T1 and the D7000, so any mid-range solid state amp should drive the Annies just fine. 

My D7000 is sitting lonely at the corner despite me buying the HP-A8 to specifically drive it. I'm thinking of selling it, but still on the fence about that one.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #2,788 of 3,394
Quote:
I just listened to my Annies again, and they do a fairly well against the HE500.

Those are some bold and reassuring words, there. I once considered the HE500 after a couple mishaps with the Q701 and my first Annie having a bass rattling issue. The end result was me repurchasing the Annie after trying the X1, and skipping out on the HE500 because I did not want to spend even more money on upgrading my amps on top of the cost for the headphone, itself.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #2,790 of 3,394
Hey guys are the K702 Annies better than HD600 and DT880 250 ohm pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back