AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,299 of 3,390
Just got mine from RazorDog and have been playing with it the last couple of hours. I'm going to wait until I have about 200 hours of burn-in before finalizing a review, but I have some very very initial impressions. Currently running them at the office with my E07K with a 12dB gain, which I think it just no where even close enough to drive them to their potential, but it's what I have on hand right now. Compared to my standard K702, the Annie is sounding fuller and more intimate. A little less bright as well. I was one of those people who didn't have a problem with the headband bumps, but this flat headband is just perfect so far. The ear pads also compress nicely and create a good seal. I think I would appreciate the pads more if they were just a bit deeper as the tip of my ear is touching the driver.

Very impressed so far. It will be interesting to see how it goes when I get home to AB between my standard K702 and the Annie.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #2,300 of 3,390
Slightly off topic...but i just bought a woo audio T headphone stand for my Annies and was wondering whether i should be hanging these resting on the leather head band or on the wires.  I dont know if they are heavy enough to cause the band and the auto-adjust mechanism to sag etc.  Thanks for any help

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #2,301 of 3,390
You should be fine hanging it off the wires, though not sure the stand is tall enough to have enough clearance.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #2,303 of 3,390
Yeah, hanging it off the wire would be the best choice, but hanging off the headband shouldn't be an issue aside from maybe deforming it way in the future.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,304 of 3,390
Hi, hello there.

Just received my AKG K702.65. Much, much to early for any definitive impression or review, but I would say this:
I never went for the regular K701/2 because of the lean bass issue everybody talks about. Now I am surprised on how much bass the k702.65 has. A very good fair amount. Not a Fidelio X1 amount, of course, but a very good punch on these. Right from the start, without any burn-in, the highs were too much, but now they seem to have settled down.

My number is 895.

Apr 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2,305 of 3,390
Quote:
Just got mine from RazorDog and have been playing with it the last couple of hours. I'm going to wait until I have about 200 hours of burn-in before finalizing a review, but I have some very very initial impressions. Currently running them at the office with my E07K with a 12dB gain, which I think it just no where even close enough to drive them to their potential, but it's what I have on hand right now. Compared to my standard K702, the Annie is sounding fuller and more intimate. A little less bright as well. I was one of those people who didn't have a problem with the headband bumps, but this flat headband is just perfect so far. The ear pads also compress nicely and create a good seal. I think I would appreciate the pads more if they were just a bit deeper as the tip of my ear is touching the driver.

Very impressed so far. It will be interesting to see how it goes when I get home to AB between my standard K702 and the Annie.

Second day on these with some heavy usage and I have to say that as much as I am enjoying them, I'm really missing the sparkliness of the standard K702 or even the AD700. Does this make me a bad person?

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,307 of 3,390
Quote:
Just received my AKG K702.65.

Now I am surprised on how much bass the k702.65 has. A very good fair amount. Not a Fidelio X1 amount, of course, but a very good punch on these

You have the X1?

Any comments/impressions on how the AKGs compare to them?  Soundstage comparison?

popcorn.gif

Quote:
Second day on these with some heavy usage and I have to say that as much as I am enjoying them, I'm really missing the sparkliness of the standard K702 or even the AD700. Does this make me a bad person?

Quote:
No, that's exactly how I felt. There's less airiness as well.

Yes, I missed it too - which is why I immediately bought a pair of Q701/K702 pads.

Just a quick & easy pad change (LOVE the bayonet locks) and you get the air/sparkle back. 
normal_smile .gif

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #2,309 of 3,390
Quote:
Is this still hard to drive like the 702 or now is easier to drive?

Hows the sound coming out from ipod, for example? still have a lot of bass?

It's exactly the same, it just has different pads...

The memory foam pads make the sound a bit louder as the drivers are physically closer to your ears and seal up more.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,310 of 3,390
Only problem I have with the 65th is that for my music it's a little more boring. Mostly with female vocals. Other than that I like it. The extra fullness is nice, but then I miss the slightly extra sparkly treble on the Q701 and the more forward upper mids.

I keep saying stuff to myself like "this 65th is good, i'll stick with this, it's not that much worse" and then an hour later i've got my Q701 pads on.

Then when I get my Q701 pads on, the sound is a bit less smooth, but due to crappy recordings and the Q701 not touching them.

It gets annoying switching pads so often. I keep going back and forth.

BTW I still think my HD-650 has more treble than the 65th, but no big deal. It's kind of weird saying that.

I still think it sort of sounds like a giant PX100-II and that's not really a bad thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back