AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Dec 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #496 of 3,390
Quote:
A top-of-the-line reference headphone should be supplied with a genuine 1/4" connector.  This is my only criticism of my Q701.    

Why?

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #497 of 3,390
Because it is better...any audiophile will tell you this.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #498 of 3,390
Quote:
Because it is better...any audiophile will tell you this.

Great argument . 
You could say that 6.35 last longer than 3.5 (well for the female connector  at least ) . Otherwise there is no difference . 

And K702 cable is removable , just make a custom one with 6.35 plug if you want . 
redface.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #499 of 3,390
Sure it's "better", but a good screw on adapter gives good contact as well. A poor tinning with a 6.3mm connector might even give poorer results (not even sure I would even then notice a difference, for better or worse, given the cable actually works). There are so many variables that should be taken into account first. Production variation between two models will show a more noticeable difference than comparing the same headphone with two different cables. All in all, I conclude that stressing over the plug would be the last thing I personally would do. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #500 of 3,390
Yes, it is a solid argument.  It is quite obvious that a 1/4" connector not only provides a better, more solid connection, but it also reduces the possibility of crosstalk.  I did not think I should have to spell this out to fellow audiophiles.  I wonder why all of those great integrated amplifiers of the 70s and 80s had 1/4" headphone sockets?  All one has to do is take a look at a Furutech FP-704, Neutrik NP3X, or Canare F-16, or any other quality 1/4" connector, and one will see what I and many other audiophiles are talking about.

Indeed, I am glad the 702's cable is removable, as the first thing I will do is attach a custom headphone cable with either a Canare F-16 or Neutrik NP3X.  It is nice that both Sennheiser and Grado spring for a decent connector on their better headphones--with Grados, even down to the SR125.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #501 of 3,390
Quote:
Yes, it is a solid argument.  It is quite obvious that a 1/4" connector not only provides a better, more solid connection, but it also reduces the possibility of crosstalk.  I did not think I should have to spell this out to fellow audiophiles.  I wonder why all of those great integrated amplifiers of the 70s and 80s had 1/4" headphone sockets?  All one has to do is take a take a look at a Furutech FP-704, Neutrik NP3X, or Canare F-16, or any other quality 1/4" connector, and one will see what I and many other audiophiles are talking about.

Damn Headphone Manufacturers don't know what they are doing 
confused_face.gif
. NO let's gess hum as an adaptater don't hurt anything let's give the choice to the customer , for the more convenient plug . 

Many actual amplifiers still use 6.35 jack cause it'smore durable that's all , so i don't see the point of 70-80 amp thing . 

And for the crosstalk thing yeah it's peraphs better but's way beyond audibility . 

A well built 3.5 jack connector and 6.35 will sound identical . Unless you are a kind of alien or something . 

And FYI , i had an custom cable for my gone K702 : MOG2543, Neutrik NP3XB , Switchcraft SW-TA3FB . Sorry it didn't help . I am not very much into fairy tales soo . Just my thoughts .

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #502 of 3,390
This is preposterous.  Really...the crosstalk is inaudible?  Have you ever tested for crosstalk or compared different connections?  If what you mean by "actual amplifiers" is current, in-production integrated amplifiers, I am well aware of the fact that the better ones (and even some of the lesser ones) feature 1/4" headphone sockets.  Over the past three decades, I have heard and owned many of these units, and currently own the Yamaha A-S700, and it features a 1/4" socket.  This only helps to demonstrate the fact that the 1/4" connection is the preferred connection for serious audiophiles.  Likewise, the fact that two of the world's oldest and most respected manufacturers of headphones provide a 1/4" connector on all of their better headphones also demonstrates my point. Sennheiser and Grado know what they are doing.  The Q701 is a nice product, but AKG should provide a better connector on such a high-end model.   

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #503 of 3,390
Quote:
This is preposterous.  Really...the crosstalk is inaudible?  Have you ever tested for crosstalk or compared different connections?  If what you mean by "actual amplifiers" is current, in-production integrated amplifiers, I am well aware of the fact that the better ones (and even some of the lesser ones) feature 1/4" headphone sockets.  Over the past three decades, I have heard and owned many of these units, and currently own the Yamaha A-S700, and it features 1/4" socket.  This only helps to demonstrate the fact that the 1/4" connection is the preferred connection for serious audiophiles.   

yes i Have , edited just above . But peraphs my poor limited ears 
tongue.gif
didn't get it 
frown.gif

Well for me it demonstrate nothing ^^ 

But i have absolutelly no problem with 6.35 connectors they are fine , most dedicated headphone amplifiers or integrated one use 6.35 plug cause it's more durable as i said before . 6.35 is also standard in studio for it's durability . 

high end cans used to use 6.35 connectors , but with Ipod thing , well 3.5 connector became more standard ... , but saying that 6.35 is audibly better than 3.5 i can't agree ^^ just my opinion , if you think that it's audibly better , ok , i will not insist any more 
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #504 of 3,390
The only reason I prefer 1/4" is because its easy to plug in. Otherwise, they're the same thing. I actually prefer screw on 1/4" adapters like the AKG ones, as they basically function as if it was terminated that way, and when I dont need it, I can jist screw it off. Better that than some ugly 1/4" to 3.5mm plug or cable. It makes sense to terminate in 3.5mm with a screw on adapter.

Dunno what kind of horrible plugs you've been using, but I don't get crosstalk because of any adapters I have used, and I have used many.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #505 of 3,390
I do not use horrible plugs.  The horrible plugs I avoid are the cheap 1/8" ones that come with certain pieces of equipment.  I guess it is just all the same...nothing makes a difference, and quality means nothing.  I suppose that is why so few these days spring for quality front end equipment, amplification, cables, isolation, and so on.  A computer's transport is the same as that found in a high-end CD player or stand-alone transport, right?  A 50-cent op-amp will provide the same sonics as a discrete output stage, right?  These are analogies, but I mention them to demonstrate the type of thinking involved here.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #506 of 3,390
Really? You must really put some stock on cables too. I feel for you.

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #507 of 3,390
Quote:
I do not use horrible plugs.  The horrible plugs I avoid are the cheap 1/8" ones that come with certain pieces of equipment.  I guess it is just all the same...nothing makes a difference, and quality means nothing.  I suppose that is why so few these days spring for quality front end equipment, amplification, cables, isolation, and so on.  A computer's transport is the same as that found in a high-end CD player or stand-alone transport, right?  A 50-cent op-amp will provide the same sonics as a discrete output stage, right?  These are analogies, but I mention them to demonstrate the type of thinking involved here.

Why not ? it's totally possible 
biggrin.gif

As i know Violectric V800 DAC use inexpensive OP-AMP , and it's a well regarded DAC , you can do wonderfull things with cheap OP-AMP if you do it right 
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #508 of 3,390
To get the real results, you need recable your K.. or Q.. fully, directly from drivers. I am not an cable expert, but spending USD 350 on cable just to connect through mini XLR will not make them sound even close when you use the same cable from drivers.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #509 of 3,390
Do these have a serial number like on the Q701?  I would order from Amazon but they won't ship to Canada and I am a little worried about getting counterfeits from eBay.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #510 of 3,390
Quote:
Do these have a serial number like on the Q701?  I would order from Amazon but they won't ship to Canada and I am a little worried about getting counterfeits from eBay.

I've never heard of counterfeit K701, K702, or Q701, so I wouldn't expect them now with such a specific headphone as the K702 65th anniversary. 

If the ebay seller looks like a legit audio dealer that's another reassurance. If the deal is too good to be true though, then you should always be on guard no matter where you're buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back