AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #181 of 3,394
Quote:
Seems like lots of good, affordable open backs on the horizon. These ones, the X1, and updated AT line.

It would be very interesting to compare anniversaries with the X1's. I feel there could be lots of similarities between these cans (both comfortability and soundwise). X1's were my first choice before hifiexpo 2012, but I was afraid that they are too bass heavy plus I really don't wanna buy expensive headphones before listening them first.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #182 of 3,394
Quote:
Quote:

Whoa!  With a decent return policy I hope... 
smile.gif

I didn't pay retail so no return if I don't like it.  I think I got a decent price.

Mike

Okay probably, but still not a trifling amount I'll bet.

Nov 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #183 of 3,394
I just ordered a pair of the anniversary version and should be here by this weekend.  I'll be able to compare with my current Q701.  They have about 100 hours on them, which some would say isn't enough, but it should be fun to A/B and get some initial impressions anyway.  I don't have what I call a golden ear but I know what I like so I'll do my best to give some feedback for others to consider when thinking about getting them.

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #186 of 3,394
Quote:
I just ordered a pair of the anniversary version and should be here by this weekend.  I'll be able to compare with my current Q701.  They have about 100 hours on them, which some would say isn't enough, but it should be fun to A/B and get some initial impressions anyway.  I don't have what I call a golden ear but I know what I like so I'll do my best to give some feedback for others to consider when thinking about getting them.

Where did you order from?

Nov 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #187 of 3,394
Pit Bull Audio in San Diego.  They had 5 and I bought the last one.

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #191 of 3,394
Nice to see that more and more people are getting these. Really interested to hear your impressions.

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #193 of 3,394
Funny thing is, I tried a Q701 yesterday and it had this tizzy quality I'd associate with a poor chain behind a K70X. The Anniversary editions did not have this out of the same portable system...

Have to admit that I got a good price on them and couldn't resist so I'll get to listen some more tomorrow. :) 

What I can tell from those brief moments at the Expo: The HE400 and HE500 were inoffensive enough. But I tend to be of the kind that appreciates more the things a headphone does vs. what it doesn't do, though I can see both sides of the coin. I also acknowledge that the HE500 is more linear, but at the same time more monotonic and I don't usually categorize neutral headphones as monotonic... Don't know what it is. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #195 of 3,394
Quote:

I was getting read to ask..  

What the heck is that??

Fails to distinguish notes in pitch. Well, they don't really fail but don't pass with flying colors either. Especially bass department is just mediocre.. The K702 Ani just made the music "sing" in comparison, for lack of a better word. 

I'm open to ideas that would explain it. There might be some kind of coloration or distortion that might even emphasize the difference between one note from the next. Can't figure how to explain why this applies to the rest of the frequency response in that particular headphone model as well.. 

Basically what I mean is the "one-note bass" phenomenon in a finer but broader scale. 

A headphone can be fast and punchy and discern bass drum hits and other low frequency information (good example: DT1350) but is, in comparison to some models, VERY monotonic. They're a poor choice for my preferred music, since it often leans on complex bass grooves and rich melodies. Think modal jazz :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back