AKG K701s Impedance question
Mar 31, 2006 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

charlie1

100+ Head-Fier
HI all. I'm new at this and need to ask the pros. I don't really understand the Impedance thing and amp gain. I jumped into the Head-Fi drug full bore. I just started a couple of months ago and now have E4cs-Ety E4ps-K701s-Hornet- Headroom Micro desktop-Larocco PRII-Shuffel-Nano 4g- 4G photo with redwine mod and several RnB audio cables. As you can see,I am mostly portable and I think (OUT OF CONTROLL). Now back to my question. My Hornet and Micro Desktop both have gain switches. So would the K701s be med. or high gain? I want to burn them in and just want to know which
setting I should let them run 100 hrs. on. Also does the source matter for burn in?

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 3
Use the lowest gain setting you can to get the volume level you want without clipping. This makes for less noise added to the signal, and so a purer sound. For burn-in it might be wise to use a higher gain setting to avoid clipping if you burn-in your cans at a high volume (I used about 120dB to break-in my W5000).

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

So would the K701s be med. or high gain? I want to burn them in and just want to know which setting I should let them run 100 hrs. on. Also does the source matter for burn in?

The man at AKG recommends playing the 701 at moderate volume for 100 to 300 hours, and not to be in too much of a hurry. Use a wide variety of music. I'm still breaking in mine, and I (and others) noticed a real change at around 125 to 150 hours. I have the phones in a drawer, and playing my entire iTunes collection through them when I'm not home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back