AKG K701s arrived today!
Mar 22, 2008 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MoNelly

100+ Head-Fier
Got my new AKG K701s today; I’m in love.

Out of the box, the clarity of these headphones is stunning as driven by my awesome new Headroom 2006 Micro DAC and Micro Amp (clearance, baby!).

I’ve used Shure E500s, and while I think they’re quite good (if inevitably uncomfortable), I’ve never had an “ah ha” moment with them the way I did today with my very first listening session to the K701s. You guys know that feeling: where you start to get excited and realize just how much more there is to hear in the music you’ve been enjoying for years. And then you start looking for your best recorded stuff.

I’ve also been using Senn 280 Pros during travel for several years (sadly, unamped), and comparing the two is like night and day. Suddenly the 280s seems veiled and notably less precise even when properly driven by the HR MicroStack. Then again, I suppose a closed headphone that sells for a third the price of the K701s probably shouldn’t sound nearly as good. The AKGs are also notably more comfortable to wear.

I’m well aware of the conventional wisdom that says these cans need anywhere from 100 to 300 hours of burn in. While I plan to run audio through them many hours a day unattended, I also plan to spend a fair amount of time burning them in on my head! I look forward to listening to them evolve, and fully expect the bass to expand and improve a bit over time (the only minor niggle I have with them so far). They're so good, I don't want to take them off and go to bed even though it's been a long and often sleepless week with a teething infant.

Oh, happy day!
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 14
Yes, I think a tube amp would make the 701's really sing for you. It absolutely did for me! I am a big bass head, and even I found these headphones to sound superb with good tube amps, and a moderate source.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think a tube amp would make the 701's really sing for you. It absolutely did for me!

I personally think the K701 sounds a bit better with a brighter amp. Not that significantly, but...

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 14
K701s are somewhat of an acquired taste - especially if one is used to listening speaker setup. I love its huge soundstage and instrument separation abilities, but some might find it too analytical in that sense - I absolutely love it for classical music though
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #8 of 14
hey, welcome to the club, i love my k701s with my md10 and computer as source. Indeed the magic starts showing up around 300-500hrs... sometimes even later. They are very enjoyable despite what ppl say here at this forum.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally think the K701 sounds a bit better with a brighter amp. Not that significantly, but...

Yikes! A brighter amp. I'm looking to tame these babies down. I've burned them in almost non-stop now and they are still very bright at the top. I couldn't imagine what a brighter amp might do?

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think a tube amp would make the 701's really sing for you. It absolutely did for me! I am a big bass head, and even I found these headphones to sound superb with good tube amps, and a moderate source.

I'm fully in agreement with the tube amp. I am using a Raptor and it makes these cans delightful. I am, in fact quite impressed with the bass using a tube amp with the 701s.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congratulations on the new headphones. i'm still deciding if i should get one.

Me thinks its a no-brainer here on buying the 701s. I've been burning them in now for nearly 200 hours and they are getting increasingly better. In fact when the highs calm down some they will be just right for me. I am told that the burn in could be at least 600 hours to settle in. From what I've heard so far, I am prepared to be patient.
For what it is worth, and I know it's the difference between liking chocolate or vanilla ice cream, but I like the 701s way more than the Grado GS1000s I've owned and already sold.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 14
they are great great HP!

treat them right, they will treat your hears right!
smily_headphones1.gif

and congrats!

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes! A brighter amp. I'm looking to tame these babies down. I've burned them in almost non-stop now and they are still very bright at the top. I couldn't imagine what a brighter amp might do?

man, I double that!

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Wow! I'm jealous.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy the burn-in period. The K701s are somewhere in my must-buy-before-I-drool-all-over-the-demo-units list.
smily_headphones1.gif
Eventually, when I have the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back