AKG K701 vs Sennheiser HD650
Jan 30, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #16 of 53
Same as soundfreq, I would be interested in hearing the k701 balanced matched with my soon to arrive Headroom Balanced Desktop.

Any recommendations on k701 balanced cable/setup?

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 53
Just read my sig for my opinion on this matter
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 53
I have both and enjoy both. As stated before in this thread they are both good cans. If I had to get by with just one it would be the 650. It is more refined than the 701.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #19 of 53
I tried both at an NYC meet last year. I found the K701 to be very bright and didn't like them at all, but I loved the HD650. Then again, I listen to Future Sonics IEMs almost exclusively, so I like a little more bass response and less-bright highs.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 53
both sounded good balanced to me... =D

but i like a bit more bass with my music, so i chose hd650

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #21 of 53
it all comes down to preference, i liked HD650 because of their smooth and relaxing sound

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #22 of 53
Single ended i prefer to the 701 to 6x0. my choice would be 701, 600, 650 in that order. 701 has the clarity, soundstage, imaging, and dynamics at this level.

Balanced w/ the right amp, the 6x0 are just better (and similar). The 701 doesnt scale like the 6x0 do. The 600 sounds similar to a 701 with just enough bass (minus the airiness...the perfect reference IMO). At this level, the 6x0 obviously surpass the 701 in soundstage and imaging. They just have so many more layers and better tonality. Playing Beethoven, this is VERY obvious.

the Atrios cant even compare at this level even out of the same amp, but for a ~150 iem that's expected. The M5 has a signature similar to a 650 but not as heavy and slow. IMO the M5 doesnt respond to any amplification after a certain point. I think it is destined to sound dark even using my brightest equipment. I wonder if a Aphex 204 can tune it?

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #23 of 53
I'm in the same boat as you a month ago. I wanted to know which one I should buy. After spending nights reading a ton of threads regarding the subject here, I concluded that they are complementary to one and other; thus, you need both to satiate your head-fi desires. I got my K701 first, and is waiting for the HD650 to join the collection.

My advice is get either one now, and save up for the other one. You do need a decent headphone amp for both though, so leave some moola for that, or else you won't enjoy either Can.

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Single ended i prefer to the 701 to 6x0. my choice would be 701, 600, 650 in that order. 701 has the clarity, soundstage, imaging, and dynamics at this level.

Balanced w/ the right amp, the 6x0 are just better (and similar). The 701 doesnt scale like the 6x0 do. The 600 sounds similar to a 701 with just enough bass (minus the airiness...the perfect reference IMO). At this level, the 6x0 obviously surpass the 701 in soundstage and imaging. They just have so many more layers and better tonality. Playing Beethoven, this is VERY obvious.

the Atrios cant even compare at this level even out of the same amp, but for a ~150 iem that's expected. The M5 has a signature similar to a 650 but not as heavy and slow. IMO the M5 doesnt respond to any amplification after a certain point. I think it is destined to sound dark even using my brightest equipment. I wonder if a Aphex 204 can tune it?

You're probably the second or third person who has seemed to prefer the HD600 over the HD650. The other two I've heard from being Neil Kernon (producer) and Ken Golden (owner of The Laser's Edge, and the kind of obnoxious audiophile who can afford a $2000+ DAC). Neil was the one who originally turned me on to the Future Sonics EM3, and he's been quite open about preferring them to just about any other headphone he's used, even the HD600 (and way beyond the Etymotics ER-4, which he seems to hate). I keep trying to get Neil to try the Atrio but I don't think he has yet.

I'll definitely agree that I found pleasant similarities between the HD650 'phones I heard and the Future Sonics sound signature. I like a more natural, laid-back sound. The K701 frankly reminded me of Etymotics IEMs (to be fair I've only owned/heard the ER6, and was impressed by their high-end detail, but I hated their lack of low-end warmth). So yeah, my preference for my Future Sonics IEMs is clearly pretty telling in whether I would prefer the K701 or HD6x0. Both are superb, but have very different sound signatures that will appeal to different people.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #27 of 53
I voted for K701, but I don't think they're "better" than HD650. For most of my music I prefer their sound though.
I think maybe I will get some HD600/650 someday to have a counterpart to my K701.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 53
I think the thing to be learned here is that both of these headphones are great. Also, if you really would like an honest evaluation, you need to trust only your ears. Honestly, the only way you can truly discover which would be best for you is to listen.

Having said that...I will give you my current impressions of these two sets of cans. I ordered the K701s after discovering how many writers are using these as reference. What have I discovered? I prefer my 650s only slightly to the K701s. But that is because I tend to listen to music that favors a bit more aggressive bottom end bass.

However, the K701s are awesome in their own right. Throughout the whole range of frequencies, they sound more balanced to my ears. The highs sound a bit more detailed to me. It is overly simplistic to say that the 650s have more bass. I think the difference between the two is where the bass is emphasized. Every time I listen to these cans, I like them. I can tell what's missing when I switch between the two, but each is so good at what they do.

I'm having a hard time convincing myself to send the 701s back to the vendor. I think if you can carefully mate these cans with the right equipment, you can close the sonic gaps between the two.

Best of luck with your decision.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #29 of 53
Shoot for both. The 701s are amazing with piano and female vocals and the 650s are good all rounders. Sometimes poorly recorded music sounds better on the 650s as they are not so crystal clear through the highs. I say if you will only get one then go for the 650. If you might add to your collection later on then start with either. I will say that if you have both then you should not be longing for another set of cans for quite some time.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorito123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoot for both. The 701s are amazing with piano and female vocals and the 650s are good all rounders. Sometimes poorly recorded music sounds better on the 650s as they are not so crystal clear through the highs. I say if you will only get one then go for the 650. If you might add to your collection later on then start with either. I will say that if you have both then you should not be longing for another set of cans for quite some time.

Depending on your musical collection and taste, you might well want a 3rd set of cans to go with the HD650 and K701. One that has good bass and good treble. The HD650 is more bassy, and the K701 more mids and tops. I now got my 3 cans, and I am not adding to them! It does get a bit silly though with having to swap cans every time I swap musical taste. I thought that I had left that madness behind when I disconnected two sets of my speakers and only started to listen to my main reference set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back