AKG K701 Vs Denon AH D-2000
Aug 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oshj44

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping I can get some opinions on which headphone I should go with, the AKG K701 or the Denon AH D-2000. The most important qualities to me are a big soundstage and clarity, and the top three genre's of music I listen to are folk, indie and rock. I will be driving them with the Headroom Micro Amp. From what I'm reading I get the impression that the AKG's have a better soundstage but I'm wondering if the D 2000's will be better for my main genre's. Guidance and opinions are appreciated!

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 11
Id personally go with the 701 for rock stuff and folk. The 701 is open so might have better soundstage and is less bassy, which is good for those genres (IMO). The D2000 would be good for electronic, pop, rap, etc...

If you generally like a hint of extra bass with your music, the D2000 would work better. And yes I've heard both of these at 2 meets. The average joe on the street would probably pick the D2000. The K701 is less forgiving with bad recordings.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 11
That's a tough one.  I've owned both, and really like both.  I stayed with the K701 (actually, the K702--I like the color better), but  I would love to get another pair of D2000, as they are totally different/complementary sound signatures.   

I found that I preferred the K701 over the D2000 when listening to most albums in my rock/indie collection.  If you listen to Sigur Ros or anything like them, you'll love the openness of the K701.  Having said that, even through the soundscape was much smaller, I preferred the D2000's bass when listening to rock/electronic hybrid music like Radiohead or Bjork. 

While the D2000 sounded more exciting (the bass hit really hard and the treble was pretty hot), there was a pronounced dip in the mids.  That was a problem for me, as guitars and vocals sounded like they were run through a compressor.  They just didn't sound open, and a lot of the textures in guitars were harder to hear because of the lowered mids.  Also, the highs were often very sibilant to the point of annoyance.  EQ'ing helped tame the highs and to bring up the mids.      

The K701 sounded more open and natural to me (compared to the D2000).  The bass isn't as pronounced, but it is there, and much tighter.  Also, it is easier to hear variations and textures in instruments with the K701 than the D2000.    I found that it was easier to EQ more bass with the k701 than it was to level the mid range and treble of the D2000.  

Regarding your amp: Having owned the Micro amp when I had the K701 and D2000, I believe it is sufficient to drive both headphones.

I know this is a choppy response, but I hope it helps all the same.

Best

VV

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I'm hoping I can get some opinions on which headphone I should go with, the AKG K701 or the Denon AH D-2000. The most important qualities to me are a big soundstage and clarity, and the top three genre's of music I listen to are folk, indie and rock. I will be driving them with the Headroom Micro Amp. From what I'm reading I get the impression that the AKG's have a better soundstage but I'm wondering if the D 2000's will be better for my main genre's. Guidance and opinions are appreciated!

Heya,

You're comparing a headphone that is open and very bass lite to a headphone that is closed and has some very strong and low bass extension.

Do you want isolation? Denon. Want sound stage? AKG.

Have you considered the SRH940?

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Folk and a lot of indie sound real good with an airy can.  However I can't support a lot of rock music unless it has the bass extension and impact to back it up.  Maybe you can try out one of the two and return it for a refund if it isn't what you're looking for.

The denons actually have a pretty good soundstage considering their closed design, but only instrument separation and positioning wise.  The raw distance of their soundstage isn't as good as something open.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 11
If you have a good amp then the k701 is better for soundstage. The denon has good soundstage for a closed phone and much better bass. The denon is very clear in the midrange. The k701 is kinda bass shy and a touch colored in the mids (but still clear).
So you really need a good amp just to get these to sound decent enough.
If you don't care about bass and have a really good amp then definitely get the k701 (k501 is much better though with slightly less bass).

Are you coming from bass heavy or bass ample phones?
If so then stay away from the k701.
If not then get a better amp and get the k701

The denon d2000 is awesome and will be the one I pick everytime though.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Pretty funny comparison really:

Bass - D2000 by a country mile in terms of quantity. I'd dare say the K701s is slightly deeper though severely lacking in impact.

Soundstage - K701 easily here. Some of the airiest cans you can get.

Midrange - K701 easily again. Vocals sound pretty good.

Treble - K701. Don't really like the treble at all on the D2000s, too sharp and edgy for me. 

Depends on your taste in music really, I find the K701s pretty unlistenable for a lot of genres due to the lacklustre low end, while the D2000s really lack detail and transparency in comparison.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 11
You could buy a K601 and get better bass weight than a K701 without sacrificing anything in the midrange, if anything the mids would improve as well.

You could get a DT880 and improve on the D-2000 across the board. Mids would suffer in comparison to the AKG cans. However, your extension from high to low would be at the max in this price range.

Do you want Monkey Bone cans or do you want Audiophile Nervosa cans or Headbanger cans? Headbanger- then Grado. Monkey Bone- then AKG K601(rock/pop) or Beyerdynamic DT880(classic/jazz), Audiophile Nervosa- then AKG K701 or something hideously expensive. Can't comment on the D-2000 as I don't own them. Have owned AKG, Sennheiser, Grado and Beyerdynamic. AKG and Beyerdynamic have stayed, others have been gotten rid of. Don't know what the hell you like?, then get Sennheiser as a Jack of all Trades but Master of None.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 11
i own both cans and both are here to stay.  pick your poison.  poor recordings are laid bare with the AKGs, whereas the Denons are more forgiving.  the D2000 are very detailed, but i would recommend the JMoney pads, especially if you want better soundstaging/imaging - they really tighten up the sonic sig and bass.

the K702 has been my main can for all genres for a couple of years, but the D2000 are a welcome alternative for less than stellar recordings and when i wants moar bass or a more intimate vibe.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 11
A lot of really insightful stuff on here. I know they are so different which is part of what makes this so difficult!

After reading what's been posted so far I'm leaning towards the D 2000's as long as the sound-stage is clear I think I'll be alright without it being huge, and there are times when I do love me some bass too. Plus since these will be mostly for desktop listening not every track is going to be beautifully mastered since I do a lot of music surfing on 8tracks.com

I am a bit worried by some of the posts about them sounding to harsh on occasion, I'm hoping I won't need to mess with the EQ, I'm pretty confident with my amp driving either of them. It's a nail-bitter!

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
A lot of really insightful stuff on here. I know they are so different which is part of what makes this so difficult!

After reading what's been posted so far I'm leaning towards the D 2000's as long as the sound-stage is clear I think I'll be alright without it being huge, and there are times when I do love me some bass too. Plus since these will be mostly for desktop listening not every track is going to be beautifully mastered since I do a lot of music surfing on 8tracks.com

I am a bit worried by some of the posts about them sounding to harsh on occasion, I'm hoping I won't need to mess with the EQ, I'm pretty confident with my amp driving either of them. It's a nail-bitter!

i don't understand the harsh treble comments.  if anything, the K702 will be more prone to this with poor recordings.  a lot of people find the D2000 bright, but i think it's quite nice.  YMMV.

as far a soundstage goes, the D2000 is a bit mushy.  the JMoney pads really do improve on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back