AKG K701 - The Holy Grail
Jan 1, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #76 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Wow, we have "Enemies" and stuff here at Head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif
Let's see. We have "old enemies," hype, drama, constant revelations, and sexy females (on our Avatar). It's a regular daytime soap program!!

You've obviously never met tracy lynn.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #77 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
The construction of the K701s looks a bit flimsy, especially the connection between headband and the drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
I had the same question after I got my 501s. Posted here, and the resounding response was: "had mine for years, no problem". so long as you keep scissors away, of course.

Hi Robert
k701smile7mi.gif

that's good to know.

So the K701s will probably last for years without any mechanical problems.

I don't plan to work on K701s with scissors btw
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #78 of 92
Well, I just ordered mine a few days ago and they should be arriving soon. I certainly have a pretty close to neutral setup to post impressions on, so I'll do so as soon as I can...

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by green84061
Good point there really is nothing more funny then fights over the internet
biggrin.gif

How is running a race in the special olympics the same as arguing on the internet? Even if you win, you're still a retard.

Before anyone posts to yell at me, I'm not calling anyone here dumb, in fact I enjoy the banter as well as the informative reviews I find on this site as I've mostly been a lurker but people should remember that joke before feelings get hurt.

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #80 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
Oh, and Fewtch,

Keep being an ass.

Nice job there with the insults, geek. Back at ya.

Quote:

"Not to say it isn't a good headphone, but the hype is becoming ridiculously overbearing at this point." I LISTENED TO THE GOD DAMN HEADPHONE.

For how long... a whole 5 minutes, a whole 15 minutes, a whole HOUR for god's sake? WOW!

Sorry man, but in my opinion you really gotta live with a piece of gear for a week or two to even determine whether it's *good*, let alone the greatest thing in the universe. Apparently you are a little... ahem... immature, with the thread starter statement and now these insults. You'll get over it. Stop taking criticism so personally, I don't know you and have no reason to insult you.

P.S. it's strange, but I really like the appearance of the K701. I'm even an iPod disliker, and I *still* like the way they look
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #81 of 92
I thought those looked awesome until I saw a non-promotional shot of them. I was considering getting one based on the looks alone. Gah, the 80's eletronics grey doen't work at all, not on the underside of the headband, the cable or the coat hanger frame holding it together. The bleach white earcups are also a turn off - It actually looks pearlish white on AKGs website. I will only consider getting them now if they're really the holy grail.
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #82 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
in my opinion you really gotta live with a piece of gear for a few weeks to even determine whether it's *good*, let alone the greatest thing in the universe.

I agree. First impressions often lie.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #83 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
What the heck were they smoking when the selected the color?
confused.gif

I've never seen a more garish pair of headphones...they look positively ghastly! At least they sound good so there is something to salvage from the whole deal. Perhape they look better in person but I dont think I want to take that risk
tongue.gif

White plasic also really shows smudges and when dirt starts get worked into the scuffs. They're going to look like headphones that pigpen would wear after a while. I bet that in a while they'll offer another color.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #84 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
How is running a race in the special olympics the same as arguing on the internet? Even if you win, you're still a retard.

Yeah . . that comment may offend some people. Well, at least you didn't post that picture . . . (which would get the thread closed in an instant, cause it's happened before) Just lettin' ya know.

Jan 2, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #85 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6

Oh dear, let's not open up the internet cliche can o' worms. Please?

As far as the headphones go, all the miscellaneous chatter (both positive and negative) about them has piqued my interest, as I'm sure it has many other Head-fiers. I don't think that's a bad thing... If anything, all of the praise (and condemnations) of the K701 has prompted me, at least, to ponder auditioning them someday, etc. What's so bad about someone getting turned on to a new set of cans?

Hype or no, all opinions expressed on this forum are just that: opinions. I think 99% of us understand that. I don't see anyone being harmed with someone's (possibly) excessive love for any one headphone, whether it be the "best thing since sliced bread" or not.

Jan 2, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #86 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meifa
Hype or no, all opinions expressed on this forum are just that: opinions. I think 99% of us understand that. I don't see anyone being harmed with someone's (possibly) excessive love for any one headphone, whether it be the "best thing since sliced bread" or not.

Agreed. When I first came to headfi during the peak of the DT531 hype, I got sucked in and bought some.
rolleyes.gif
Since then, other cans have come and gone, but two years later, these are still my favorite cans. I was lucky: as a noob, I gambled on hype and won.

I really like the rich, real K240 mids -- when I extrapolate those mids to the K701 price/flagship/hype level, it makes me eager to audition them, and perhaps own them for an even longer audition.

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #87 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
I really like the rich, real K240 mids -- when I extrapolate those mids to the K701 price/flagship/hype level, it makes me eager to audition them, and perhaps own them for an even longer audition.

I agree. I had a set of 240's for years and loved them, but always felt they needed more sizzle up top. I'll have to try the 701's out.

Cheers!
Dan

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #88 of 92
Impressions can often change with time. And when it does, and people get buyer's remorse and start posting a lot of FS threads, that is when an item truly earns the title "FOTM".

Man, this thread is just funny. Good old Head-fi is still alive and kicking.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jan 3, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #89 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Man, this thread is just funny. Good old Head-fi is still alive and kicking.
evil_smiley.gif
-Ed

HF just wouldn't be the same without a FOTM. And you know, sometimes the flavors are not so bad!

Jan 3, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #90 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
I agree. First impressions often lie.

Well, first impressions are just that -- first impressions. What do people expect from first impressions, a final judgment?

And yeah, I'm caught up in the excitement/hype of the K701. When I read comments about how these had sound between the HD650 and SA5000, I was sold and have one ordered. I'm waiting but my patience is running low. I'm with you, 1911. The Austrians need to get busy cranking these babies out and not get preoccupied with Ahnold
tongue.gif
(they recently removed his name from a stadium or something). This waiting is getting a bit ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back