AKG K701. So good, I sold my DX1000's
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 34
Probably they forgot to put both values, if you check other phones at AKG's web, they have their sensivites rated as dB/mW and dB/V as well.
To make matters worse, other manufacturers list their specs as dB/mV, so conversion to dB/mW is still more confusing.

Rgrds.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am going to be drving the AD2000 with the following chain:

Music hall CDP ( Or laptop) - Paradesia + DAC - Bada PH-12

The Bada will not like the low impedance, so I am trying to sell it. I am going to drop the price again to see If I can sell it quick.

Good luck. I had to sell mine for 350.00..

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth with the K701s ?

I know there are a lot of folks that poo-poo the K701 for metal, but it does quite well with melodic and symphonic metal based on my listening experiences.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 34
I think it does quite well with metal. I do prefer a slightly higher amount of bass, because I like he kick drums to really pound. Thats why I am giving the AD2000 a try.

As for selling the Bada, I think I should be able to get that kind of money for it, because I purchased it new from the US dealer, and It can be fixed by them without having to ship it to china if anything goes wrong. That alone would make me want to pay more for something.

Mar 26, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth with the K701s ?

LOL.
smily_headphones1.gif
This would have been my reaction when I first got my K701's, but now that I'm comfortable with how they sound I have to agree with the OP. There are all kinds of subtle things in Opeth tracks that really come out with the K701's separation and imaging performance. Bass works better too..... there may be less slam but you just hear more detail in the bass with the 701.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 34
Interesting, thanks for the infos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL.
smily_headphones1.gif
This would have been my reaction when I first got my K701's, but now that I'm comfortable with how they sound I have to agree with the OP. There are all kinds of subtle things in Opeth tracks that really come out with the K701's separation and imaging performance. Bass works better too..... there may be less slam but you just hear more detail in the bass with the 701.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #22 of 34
Joe! what have you done!!

Glad you like K701s though - I recommend trying out K501 as well as they have beautiful midrange (different from AD2ks). Also, these are really bass light - good complement for AD2Ks. If you listen to classical + acoustic guitar, K501s are awesome (at around 140$, it's a bargain as well)

I think a pair of deep darths would suit your (and my) occasional basshead needs.
biggrin.gif

Also, congratulations for purchase on AD2Ks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #23 of 34
Actually, all I listen too is Metal, with some occasional Jazz. I am actually trying to trade my amp for some DB's, or a pair of D5000. I just want to try them out.

I tried the K501, and found it to be rather strange. I really cannot describe it.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Actually, all I listen too is Metal, with some occasional Jazz. I am actually trying to trade my amp for some DB's, or a pair of D5000. I just want to try them out.

I tried the K501, and found it to be rather strange. I really cannot describe it.

HUGE soundstage (like stadium - big) coupled with low bass? It's weird for almost any genre of music except for classical and acoustic
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #25 of 34
I did not really get the bass, but I did notice that the sound was everywhere. I kept turning around thinking that someone was looking at me, or making noises.
biggrin.gif

How do you like your millet with the AD2k? I am trying to find one, because I need something that can drive 40 ohm cans well.

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

maybe I just don't know how to communicate with people outside of the US
redface.gif

Yeah, I was noticing that your Finnish just wasn't cutting it
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #27 of 34
Interesting thread. I, too, sold my DX1000's some time back - thought maybe I just really did not like closed headphones. I also sold my HD650's because I was tired of the "veil" effect. Currently I use the K701's for open and the Denon D2000's for closed (these made me a believer more than the JVC's) - I absolutely love them both (amp is Darkvoice 337 w/ assortment of NOS tubes). The 337 has plently of power for the K701's. I primarily listen to jazz, vocal, and classical (digital & vinyl front ends).

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

I did not really get the bass, but I did notice that the sound was everywhere. I kept turning around thinking that someone was looking at me, or making noises.
biggrin.gif

How do you like your millet with the AD2k? I am trying to find one, because I need something that can drive 40 ohm cans well.

I have the MAX and it works great with my D2000 (32ohms?) and same with Grado RS1's (tried at a meet).

Others have commented on how well it handles low impedance phones like Grados and high impedance HPs like senn's.

oh and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

You seem to be all over the place with sources, amps and headphones.
Hope you find the right synergy soon though!

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 34
Millet w/ AD2K isn't bad - there's no noise or humming to speak of. I have dDB on mine - so that helps for low impedence phones.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my BADA PH-12 and getting Gilmore lite w/ DPS instead - it should be able to power my AD2K and K701 quite well. I do like sound of tubes, but I also like precision of SS as well.

My millet hybrid was a bargain, I got it for 140$ DIY unit off of fellow head-fier and I feel that MH can do 98% of PH-12. Apprently MH MAX is equal or better than PH-12 - especially for lower impedence cans.

I started listening to my MS2i more since I got MH - great match in my opinion.

As for K501 - it takes some time to get used to it. It did amazing job of separating all the instruments and layering them out in open space. Oh and that sweet mids are awesome as well. They have one of the leanest bass I've heard so far - good quality of bass though.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

As for the trade, I swapped a member in canada for a pair of AD2000 + some cash. I cannot wait to hear them, as some say they are the k701 only better in every way.

Glad to see that the K701 has found an appreciative owner. It definitely is one of the top three dynamic headphones in my collection.

The new ones are going through the long mandatory burn-in period.

You should be quite happy with the AD2000 as it is quite a good compliment to the K701.
biggrin.gif

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back