AKG K701 & K601 & Rock
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

BikeXCountry

New Head-Fier
i've been considering buying a new pair of headphones to complement, but hopefully not sound completely different than my sr60's. i plan to use these headphones for mostly classic/alternative/acoustic rock, as well as grunge. i find the idea of a large soundstage pretty appealing, and i'd like a headphone with bass at least as good as that of my sr60's, but preferably more extended, and highs that are more tamed than the sr60's.

i used to think about the d2000's, but i've heard that they are just way too colorful and bassy. i've also thought about the K601's, and people seem to recommend them for rock and describe the sound signature as exactly what i'm looking for, but with the k701's being only $20 more expensive, and being in a "whole new league", shouldn't i just get the top of the line instead?

and then, if the k701's are an improvement on the k601's, why do people call them anemic and dull? are the k701's really just incapable of playing rock music?

thanks in advance

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 55
The K701 is the epitome of cold, bright, analytical presentation. With it you're getting an unbelievably transparent, neutral, airy and huge soundstage phone. In that way it's better than the K601, but of course that's why a lot of people hate the K701's presentation, calling it boring and bassless. For rock, something warmer and engaging might be better. Also, the K701's performance is very amp-dependent, so you just need to try it with your setup to know if you will like it.

If you are looking for a Grado with soundstage and more tamed highs you should consider the ATHs too, like the AD700 or AD900. Or the DT880, it gives you a somewhat cold and analytical presentation, but is more engaging than the K701. Also, you can consider the K501.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 55
I feel that the colorfulness of the Denons is what makes them such enjoyable cans to listen to music with. Just my $.02.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 55
Quote:

...why do people call them anemic and dull? are the k701's really just incapable of playing rock music?

The problem is most rock music is incapable of sounding good through the 701s.
The issue being that most rock recordings and subsequent production are close to the antithesis of hi-fi.
A rare good recording like Dylan`s Nashville Skyline will sound great.
They don`t call them studio monitors for nothing. These are what recording engineers use to determine just how bad their productions sound.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The issue being that most rock recordings and subsequent production are close to the antithesis of hi-fi.
They don`t call them studio monitors for nothing. These are what recording engineers use to determine just how bad their productions sound.

I'd bet you could count on your fingers the number of production studios that have produced gold records that even have a pair of k701/702 in the building.

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

I'd bet you could count on your fingers the number of production studios that have produced gold records that even have a pair of k701/702 in the building.

Based on what? How many production studios have you thoroughly inspected for 701s?

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #10 of 55
IMHO, you need the right amp whether SS or tubes to synergize with these cans.

Quote:

Based on what? How many production studios have you thoroughly inspected for 701s?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

How many have you? They are only a few years old (the model aimed specifically at studios even less so), so I find it hard to believe they have achieved widespread use already. Obviously production engineers used something else to "to determine just how bad their productions sound" before the release of the k701/2. Why would they just drop it if they were used to the sound of whatever they used before?

Most production heads I've spoken to tend to think headphones are toys, anyway.

But, if you have a gearlist for the headphones used in big-time successful recording and mastering studios, I am sure others would like to see it whether or not there are any k701/2's on it.

Dec 21, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 55
Quote:

But, if you have a gearlist for the headphones used in big-time successful recording and mastering studios, I am sure others would like to see it whether or not there are any k701/2's on it.

I don't and never claimed to know what recording studios are using. I'm just saying that studio monitors are meant to be very revealing and usually aren't very pleasant for listening to bad recordings.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 55
If everything goes as planned, I will fill my line-up of phones with a pair of k601 today.
Will come back with metal and rock comments a little later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back