AKG K701 Burn-in
Mar 9, 2006 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vforrest

New Head-Fier
Hey, all you K701 users, how long does it take to burn in a set of K701s?

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, a looooong time. 300 may be a bit long, but it is long.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 9
I just got mine too! What effects does everyone find after burn-in? Does the bass output increase and become a bit more fluid? Also do the highs get a little less edgy?

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 9
I found that bass becomes deeper and more 'detailed' (fuller, I guess) - I never noticed much screech in the unburnt k701's, but then again I love Grados, so...

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 9
At 150 hours, I find the sound is less grainy, and the dynamics have increased.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, folks. They're burning.

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 9
Mine were good new. Haven't changed in weeks of use. My sound perception changed as I got accustomed to the new sound they present, but not the headphones.

Burn in is psychological - the sound gets better with a good new component as you supplant the old memories with the fresh memory of the new component - takes some time to really learn the sound of the new.

If someone you know buys a new K701, have them do switching where your eyes are covered, recorded your response as to which sounds best. The new pair will sound best just as often as the old burned-in pair - you won't be able to tell the difference.

However, be sure you face magnetic north as you listen for the first 500 hours.

This allows the new magnets in the headphone to properly orient the north and south poles of the earth with use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back