AKG K701 amped with Corda Aria
Mar 3, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 13
*dumdidum, waiting for JaZZ, dumdidum*

no, honestly, JaZZ has the setup your looking for, so either PM him, or just wait till he responds.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 13
I tried this setup at a recent meet and the Aria had no problems driving the K701. I rather liked the setup although felt it was a little to analytical for me (the cans).

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 13
This is a well matched setup, I have seen several people using this setup on both these forums and the Slimdevices forums. I have not had my setup long enough to give real impressions, but it doesnt seem I will be disappointed. I will post more when everything is broken in...

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Woohoo! Thats great to hear all the good feedback on this pair. When it comes down to it, itll be the Aria with either the K701 or the HD650. Im leaning on the K701 mostly because the HD650 has a little too much "richness" - has anyone by chance compared the HD650 to the K701 on this amp? If so, what were your impressions? Im so stingy with money that I just need to find out exactly what im getting before I pick it up. There wont be any way for me to compare the two on the Aria out here - sadness.

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryn Alexander
I love my K701/Aria setup. It drives the 701's very well and they have a very nice reaction with the crossfeed filter on (though it does dry the sound a little). Everything is so detailed and these two complement each other well because they are both neutral.

ditto
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Haven't heard the K701 but I have the K501, HD580 and DT880 with the Aria. Personally, I found the K501 a little too warm with the Aria. I much prefered my HD580 and DT880 with the Aria. However, this is a very personal preference. I found the K501 a little too "rich" when paired up with the Aria.

My younger brother much prefers the K501 with the Aria as compared to either HD580 and the DT880.

Mar 5, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outono Noite
has anyone by chance compared the HD650 to the K701 on this amp? If so, what were your impressions?

This would interest me as well,
so anyone?

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 13
I have been enjoying my Aira very much and I have a pair of K701 on backorder so i will post when they come (wish i had a 650 to compare but don't) bump

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 13
After having heard it from five different amps, I still think the Aria (prototype) is one of the best matches for the K 701. Both are exemplarily neutral and accurate, so there's little need for compensational effects. And although both aren't what I would call spectacular and euphonic in terms of sound characteristic, together they offer a really high level of organicalness, realism and musicality without sacrificing resolution and detail. Their unvarnishedness may make them slightly critical when it comes to the quality of the source, though. Since my unit is a prototype without the DAC, I can't comment on the latter's quality.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
After having heard it from five different amps, I still think the Aria (prototype) is one of the best matches for the K 701. Both are exemplarily neutral and accurate, so there's little need for compensational effects. And although both aren't what I would call spectacular and euphonic in terms of sound characteristic, together they offer a really high level of organicalness, realism and musicality without sacrificing resolution and detail. Their unvarnishedness may make them slightly critical when it comes to the quality of the source, though. Since my unit is a prototype without the DAC, I can't comment on the latter's quality.

Not to swing this thread off in a different direction, but I have an Aria and I've been contemplating jumping on the K701 circus train. I actually found one in stock at a decent price and it's verrrry tempting, to say the least. Anyway, I've found that the DT880/Aria is a tad on the drier side of neutral, while the HD580/Aria combo is warmer to my ears, less analytical. I'm very happy with both these sound signatures (DT880 on top), but I feel like I might want to delve into a more euphoric sound. Obviously, AKG/Senn/Beyer offer some significantly different types of sound... but is the K701 actually going to be a truly different way to enjoy the Aria? I'm not really looking for a middle ground between the 880/580, I want to see if I'm a euphoria/sweetness kind of guy. I had the W100 or VTG in mind. Any thoughts? I'm also a little concerned with the comment (another thread) that the 701 sounds like a better version of the HD595, a set of cans that just didn't do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back