AKG K701/2 vs. Beyerdynamic DT880
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #31 of 81
I have both the DT880 and K702 (Meier Opera and Cambridge 840c) and I find the 702s a bit hit and miss. For some things they are amazing, while for others they just don't work - usually due to lack of bass or "thin-ness", as others have mentioned. I find when I first listen to a new album I will reach for the 702s and then if they don't work switch to the 880s. So basically I find that the 702s are often better than the 880s, but are also often worse. Where as the 880s are always reliably good.

As far as individual characteristics go, I think others have summed it up pretty well in that the 880s have more (and better) bass. the 70x have a more forward upper mid, which I believe is what makes them work so well for certain types of music. They both have "large" sound stage, but they are structured differently, which could be good or bad depending on your preference - the 880s tend to place diferent ellements in a more structured way, while the the 702 is wider but somehow more connected/coherent.

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #32 of 81
So the K701/2 are great headphones, but not terribly versatile. I guess I'll have to favor versatility at this point. 

The DT880 sound like a great pair of flexible headphones, and probably what I'll end up getting.

One last question:
Whats the general consensus on Ultrasone headphones? More specifically, the HFI 2400 and the Pro 2900. They look really comfortable and are wonderful looking, but I don't hear much at all about them. If some of you could shed some light on them, that would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Walker

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #33 of 81
Classical is what any headphone/speaker should be judged with.

Quote:

I REALLY like the K701 on classical music.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #35 of 81

Quote:
What if you don't listen to any classical music?

What if you don't like the taste of your medicine?
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #37 of 81
Why is it that so many of my favorite headphones have one small problem that keeps them from being great for nearly everything?
If I could find a k701 with a LOT more bass (not too much), then i'd retire from this hobby and be set for life I think. The k240 is close to that, but not quite.

I keep trying to find the perfect headphone, but maybe it doesn't exist after all..

I can't wait for the B701. It's supposed to have a lot more bass and is due out next year! Honest, my friend's uncle told me this. He lives in Austria.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #39 of 81

Quote:
Hard to truly judge vocals with classical...a very important aspect.

Why is that? I would think you could judge vocals supremely well with classical, no?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #40 of 81

Quote:
Why is that? I would think you could judge vocals supremely well with classical, no?

Most classical music is instrumental...at least the kind I listen to...

And I am NOT a fan of opera...so why bother? 
tongue_smile.gif

Not to mention, I'm a firm believer of using the music you know and love to audition headphones. First off, you are familiar with the recording and special "tips" to listen for and secondly, why bother auditioning a headphone on classical if you only listen to rock/metal/jazz/country....

You could be buying a great classical can that is horrible with your particular music that you listen to most of the time...then what?

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #41 of 81
Agreed that you should audition with the music you will listen to!  I thought you were saying something completely different. 
I'm not an opera fan either, but there's lots of vocal music in classical that is not opera.  Forgive me if I didn't get that you meant instrumental classical music is not good for judging vocals -- I'm in full agreement, there!

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #42 of 81

Quote:
Why is it that so many of my favorite headphones have one small problem that keeps them from being great for nearly everything?
If I could find a k701 with a LOT more bass (not too much), then i'd retire from this hobby and be set for life I think. The k240 is close to that, but not quite.

I keep trying to find the perfect headphone, but maybe it doesn't exist after all..

I can't wait for the B701. It's supposed to have a lot more bass and is due out next year! Honest, my friend's uncle told me this. He lives in Austria.

Work your friend's uncle in the AKG development department in Vienna? 
L3000.gif

Rumors tells me they work for a new headphone  
tongue_smile.gif
 .... but the legend K1000 don't comes back 
confused_face.gif

Current I test the Q701 (about 36 hours burning in time) ..... between running on a SAT receiver with a music TV I test them.

But give me o lot of time, I don't run burning in unattended.

Yesterday I make a quick step .... and in this status Q701 could affront the D7000 
beyersmile.png
 with some music.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #43 of 81

Quote:
What balanced? Balanced is flat frequency response. The K702 sound balanced compere to the 880's, maybe you need to try out the Ultrasones Pro-750/900 if you like the 880 so much.

The 880's sound a lot more "balanced" to me than the 701/702's.  Like many others have mentioned, the AKG's sound thin and could use more bass.

I tried the Ultrasone Pro 2500's.  Didn't like them enough to keep them.  Strange sounding even after I got used to them.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #44 of 81

Yes, the long-awaited B701. It will be marketed as the "Britney 701" and comes in fluorescent pink.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #45 of 81
I'm sure the K701 would be a lot better if the people who advertised them weren't such large bags of feminine hygiene product.

Also you can't fix plastic mids with an equaliser or have a natural hearing graph to compensate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back