akg k612 vs Q701
Jan 2, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #31 of 52
Jan 3, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 52
you have to wait a little more buddy! I'm still waiting for my Q's to arrive. (I'm suffering without it)I hope it will come today.

Looking forward to initial impressions :wink:
What will you use as DAC, amp btw?

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #35 of 52
Looking forward to initial impressions
wink.gif

What will you use as DAC, amp btw?

Finally I got my Q701.still burning.
popcorn.gif

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #36 of 52
Finally I got my Q701.still burning.:popcorn:

Initial impressions?
Burn in is no good IMO
I listen straight away and let my brain adjust :wink:

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #37 of 52
Initial impressions?
Burn in is no good IMO
I listen straight away and let my brain adjust :wink:
first impression is CLARITY! VERY WELL BALANCED. and i didn't feel that the bass was light! But after awhile i noticed that the lower end is bit rolled off.it provides musicality than my bose ae2i.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #38 of 52
How does the sound of the k612 compare to that of the k712?  I can't  seem to find any charts for the 612s.  I listen to the samples for the k712 on SonicSense and really dig that sound. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #39 of 52
How does the sound of the k612 compare to that of the k712?  I can't  seem to find any charts for the 612s.  I listen to the samples for the k712 on SonicSense and really dig that sound.

SonicSense is not a good way to shop for headphones. Whatever you are hearing is being processed through your current headphones. And the recordings won't accurately capture soundstage.

K612 measurements: http://en.goldenears.net/42471

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #40 of 52

The K712 is a bit better sounding in terms of overall fidelity. But they sound more different than one sounds better than the other. The K612 is the more linear of the two with more of a midrange focus. The K712 has more mid and upper bass with a darker midrange and a more present upper treble. In terms of sub-bass they are quite comparable, the K612 seems to have a little more perceived sub-bass due to it's more linear bass while the K712 has more bass overall. Soundstage is about equal in size, the K712 has more layering in it's soundstage and the imaging is a bit more powerful. I find the K612s to be more transparent sounding and to give less of an impression I'm listening to a headphone though. This is my impressions on my current system. My impressions regarding fidelity, soundstage, imaging, transparency, etc. may change as I upgrade my system.

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #41 of 52

Actually to bring out more resolution and texture in the K612, the K612 needs a good tube amp. I don't know why but they absolutely love tubes. The HD 600/650 sound better on SS amps imho.

Will Schiit Vali/modi be a good combo for the k612 pro's?

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #43 of 52
I've used the Schiit Vali with the Q701 and found it pleasing.  I like the ability of the Q701 to help me distinguish between different recording approaches.  Just had occasion to compare an Ogg track of the Saint-Saens Symphony #3 (Organ/Phaeton) to the Telarc version (AAC) and the Q701 easily displays the recording/mastering differences. FYI, I was listening on the Schiit Asgard 2, not the Vali.  

Point being, the Ogg track from a friend was "unknown" in artist, etc but has a very sonorous bass.  The Organ's bombast however was muddied.  Parallel track from the Telarc version was resonant, clear from top to bottom and the Q701 handles it with ease.  

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #44 of 52
Separate question:  the Q701 has a 3-pin mini XLR type of connector.  Does AKG use that connector on other phones?  (I gather the K701 is 4-pin.)  Reason being, if AKG has a closed 'phone that accepts the same connector at a quality level in the neighborhood of the Q701, I'd be interested.  My Q701 came with 2 cables and I added a third, shorter one.  Having cable length flexibility appeals to me (apologies to those of you who detect meaningful distinctions with each cable swap.  Its not that I never hear differences, I just rarely consider those distinctions a problem.)

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #45 of 52
Separate question:  the Q701 has a 3-pin mini XLR type of connector.  Does AKG use that connector on other phones?  (I gather the K701 is 4-pin.)  Reason being, if AKG has a closed 'phone that accepts the same connector at a quality level in the neighborhood of the Q701, I'd be interested.  My Q701 came with 2 cables and I added a third, shorter one.  Having cable length flexibility appeals to me (apologies to those of you who detect meaningful distinctions with each cable swap.  Its not that I never hear differences, I just rarely consider those distinctions a problem.)

K702, K712, and K7XX use a 3-pin XLR. The Anniversary may, as well. I don't know. K701 has a non-detachable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back