akg k612 amp+dac?? k612vs dt990pro??
Mar 8, 2014 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Tostapane

New Head-Fier
hello sorry for my english but I'm Italian. I need an amp for akg K612. I can guide them with a FiiO (e07k e10 e17)? possibly could buy a o2 AMP + DAC (hifimediy saber or ud110 v2) but only if the FiiO is not powerful enough or if the difference in quality between o2 + DAC  and FIIO it is so great enough to justify in more than 100 usd ... other advice dac + amp under 200usd? akg K612 vs. DT990? thanks in advice :))

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 17
My friend owns the 612 PRO he has tried many amps but loves the EF2A pairing , it has a DAC as well that does 16/44 - CD 
According to him the HiFiMAN EF2A synergises (That is not a real word) well with the 612 pro and the K240 

Although its $70 more from your budget but according to many the AKG sound is hard to love with any amp so its better to go with a good synergising (Not a word) one 

Nah its under your budget I thought it was 100 , my bad 

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 17
  Hello sorry for my English but I'm Italian. I need an amp for AKG K612. I can guide them with a FiiO (E07K, E10, E17)? possibly could buy a o2 AMP + DAC (hifimediy saber or ud110 v2) but only if the FiiO is not powerful enough or if the difference in quality between o2 + DAC  and FIIO it is so great enough to justify in more than 100 usd ... other advice dac + amp under 200usd? akg K612 vs. DT990? thanks in advice :))

My grandfather is Italian, always finds the best Salami.

My $27 Fiio E6 at max volume can decently drive the 250-Ohm DT990 and should be able to decently drive the 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro.
And all the amplifiers you have listed (E07K, E10, E17, O2) provide more power then the FiiO E6.

Do you have need of headphone surround sound or are you just looking for stereo audio?
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card comes with a fairly good DAC chip (CS4398) and headphone amplifier.

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 17
  thanks :) I read that tube amps sacrifice a little bass frequencies is true?

I found it the opposite, I found tube amps to do bass better overall. But it also depends on the amp. The EF2A has really good bass, better than most amps. I would suggest trying different tubes in the future on the amp as it will improve the sound. I can confirm the EF2A being a really good match for the K612, it brings out the bass and dynamics of the headphone. The DT 990 is another great headphone with the EF2A.

I own both the K612 and the DT 990. The K612 is the more neutral, natural and accurate sounding headphone and is a tad more detailed. The DT 990 has more mid-bass and the treble is quite aggressive, a bit v-shaped, it's a bit smoother sounding until you get to the treble.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 17
thanks kman :))) 
the difference between the 612 and DT990 bass is very strong? I'm not a basshead. I like the sound balanced but I tried it K612 on a FiiO e10 and a m-audio sound card and I feel a lack of impact (punch). it is the fault of the amplifiers? the impact is much more pronounced on the DT990? I paid the K612 € 135 and I can buy the DT990 144 €. what is the best for the price? if i buy an ef2a i need a dac? the ef2a dac is so negative?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 17
thanks kman :))) 
the difference between the 612 and DT990 bass is very strong? I'm not a basshead. I like the sound balanced but I tried it K612 on a FiiO e10 and a m-audio sound card and I feel a lack of impact (punch). it is the fault of the amplifiers? the impact is much more pronounced on the DT990? I paid the K612 € 135 and I can buy the DT990 144 €. what is the best for the price? if i buy an ef2a i need a dac? the ef2a dac is so negative?

The K612 has a more natural sounding bass and it actually goes deeper than the DT 990s. The DT 990 has a punchier and stronger bass, the bass a bit artificial sounding in comparison though. It's a case the amp doesn't have good synergy with the K612 and maybe the sources are not powerful enough for the headphone as well. The DT 990 will also need a better amp. The K612 gains more of a punch and better dynamics on the EF2A. The DAC has problems with some stuff, sometimes you don't notice the problems other times it has issues. I would just plug the EF2A into a sound card of external DAC for the best results.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 17
i decided to order an EF2A .if I am not satisfied i will buy the dt990. anyway the ef2a is a good amplifier for both . 
 when arrive it i continue to disturbe you XDXD maybe for advice on new tubes and dac :wink:  thanks :DDDD

Mar 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 17
  i decided to order an EF2A .if I am not satisfied i will buy the dt990. anyway the ef2a is a good amplifier for both . 
 when arrive it i continue to disturbe you XDXD maybe for advice on new tubes and dac :wink:  thanks :DDDD

I hope you enjoy the amp. The tubes take a bit to burn in, so they won't sound as clear as they should at first, they will also be a bit bright at first. I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 17

I hope you enjoy the amp. The tubes take a bit to burn in, so they won't sound as clear as they should at first, they will also be a bit bright at first. I will try to answer any questions you may have.

the ef2a has arrived! it is great with my headphones! the K612 which I had tried before with a FiiO e10, and a m-audio sound card, they have now come to life! the sound is not completely clear yet but this depends on the burn-in of tubes . now headphones have MUCH more "punch" in the bass! I'm not a basshead but I felt that something was missing .. now everything is perfect: D thanks kmann i love you: ********** XD now understand why I found you in every post about K612 XD. you are a kind of missionary XD

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 17
  the ef2a has arrived! it is great with my headphones! the K612 which I had tried before with a FiiO e10, and a m-audio sound card, they have now come to life! the sound is not completely clear yet but this depends on the burn-in of tubes . now headphones have MUCH more "punch" in the bass! I'm not a basshead but I felt that something was missing .. now everything is perfect: D thanks kmann i love you: ********** XD now understand why I found you in every post about K612 XD. you are a kind of missionary XD

That's good to hear. The tubes burning in and also different tubes will change how the amp sounds to varying degrees. I realized the EF2A was a good amp for the K612. I think the K612 is something special with the right synergy and it scales up very well with better gear given the gear has good synergy with the headphone. I'm glad you are enjoying the headphone.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 17

That's good to hear. The tubes burning in and also different tubes will change how the amp sounds to varying degrees. I realized the EF2A was a good amp for the K612. I think the K612 is something special with the right synergy and it scales up very well with better gear given the gear has good synergy with the headphone. I'm glad you are enjoying the headphone.

now i listen more details , bigger stage, more bass and clarity ( fiio e10 begin to clips at 60% volume).I do not know if it depends more on the difference in power or quality, but with ef2a K612 are perfect for me.. big stage , much details , very good imaging( i try k612 with FPS  games and the positions of enemy was very very precise! incredible! but i cant make a comparison with other headphones, do you confirm this merits? and another question..another question.. with a better dac ( better of ef2a). does the sound quality changes much?

Mar 26, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 17
  now i listen more details , bigger stage, more bass and clarity ( fiio e10 begin to clips at 60% volume).I do not know if it depends more on the difference in power or quality, but with ef2a K612 are perfect for me.. big stage , much details , very good imaging( i try k612 with FPS  games and the positions of enemy was very very precise! incredible! but i cant make a comparison with other headphones, do you confirm this merits? and another question..another question.. with a better dac ( better of ef2a). does the sound quality changes much?

I think it's both quality and power that improve the sound, as well as synergy. The K612 is a very good gaming headphone due to it's very accurate imaging. Yes, I can, I've owned various headphones and the K612 is the best I have owned for gaming. It can change the sound a bit, a better dac will make it sound better.

Mar 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 17

I think it's both quality and power that improve the sound, as well as synergy. The K612 is a very good gaming headphone due to it's very accurate imaging. Yes, I can, I've owned various headphones and the K612 is the best I have owned for gaming. It can change the sound a bit, a better dac will make it sound better.

i am interested to hifimediy o ud110 for their low cost. do you known them? alternatively what do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back