AKG K601: I need an alternative
Oct 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I purchased some AKG k601s earlier in the year, and after listening to them for a while I'm finding that they don't really work too well for me.

They sound absolutely brilliant through my iRiver h332 and XXS when listening to jazz, classical and just generally slow music, but when I want to listen to something like Black Ice by AC/DC they lack that little something, that extra sparkle. My SR60 with HD414 pads, frankly, do a better job at rock than the K601.......

So, what should I look for as an alternative? Beyerdynamic? Sennheiser? Grado? As much as I like my SR60s for rock, they're a bit too bright to listen to over long periods of time, and aren't exactly comfortable to wear.

I also plan on buying some kind of home amplifier in the near future. I'm currently looking at a cheap SOHA or Little Dot MkII/I+, and so would like to know what would scale well with an amp.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Grado SR-225, as long as your source isn't too bright.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 11
My source at the moment are the portable sources listed in my signature, but I am looking to get something from NAD or Cambridge Audio to begin building my home rig.

I'm still a bit reluctant on Grado since I find my SR60 to be enjoyable with rock, but too bright to listen to for more than 30 minutes. I'm currently thinking HD600/650, but all recommendations will be much appreciated. I've put the K601 up for trade now, and frankly don't want to spend too much money, so am looking for something around that price.

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently thinking HD600/650

Great headphones, but my feeling is that they will lack the sparkle on the high end that you seem to like.

For what it may be worth, I think you might enjoy your K601 a lot more with a better source, so it might be interesting to hang onto them until your rig is improved to see what you think.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 11
I find the Grados to be a nice alternative to my AKG501s. I really enjoyed the 601s when I borrowed a pair and would be reluctant to part with them if they were mine. In the Grado lineup I think you will find the SR-225 to be particularly good with rock ... and I would rule out the DT880s, but perhaps the DT990s may be a good second choice. I'm not a Senn fan so I won't comment there.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 11
I like Grado's for rock. But I have the same problem with my sr-80s. They get to bright after a while. I use my Sennheiser Hd 580s for rock a lot. They are a lot like the HD600. They sound good, but I would not say they sparkle. Also, Contrary to what was said above, I have heard that most beyerdynamics are good for rock, but I have not tried most of them. I can tell you the DT770s are, but they have A LOT imo.

Oct 26, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 11
You'll want t go with Grado. I've seen a few used RS-2s going around $350 these days. They're a step up from the SR-60 - if you like their sound, then a RS-1 or RS-2 would be a logical next step. I find them to be more refined and smoother than the SR-60.

Also, a tube amp will help take the edge off and smooth things over. I've never listened to a Little Dot, but in the same price range, I think the Eddie Current Lunchbox II is a terrific value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back