AKG K553 Pro vs. Master & Dynamic MH40
Feb 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RockStar2005

Headphoneus Supremus
I just purchased the very highly-rated Master & Dynamic MH40 (Gunmetal color) wired headphones, in order to see how they stand up to my current and very mighty AKG K553 Pro headphones. The MH40 are considered portable, since they have smaller & oval ear cups and also a detachable cable, where my K553 is considered full-size (I don't think they're THAT big, but whatever lol) with round ear cups and a non-detachable cord. Anyway, here's how it all went down.

Build & Design: As mentioned above, the MH40 has a more portable design to it. The ear cups are smaller and oval, and it's got a detachable cable. It actually comes with 2 cables, one is a longer 10' cable, while the other is a shorter 6' cable with an-line remote geared more towards iPhones (though it'll probably still work with Android, etc). I used a 4' cable (no remote) I already owned since I prefer that length. It also comes with a hard case for the cables which is very nice, as well as a soft case for the headphones. The box itself is very premium in design and definitely makes the $399 price tag more understandable, but that certainly is not why these cost that much. (Note: I bought my K553 for $170 on Amazon.) 

The headphones are very premium and original in design. They have a very "retro with a new twist" look to them which I really love. There seems to be no plastic on these headphones.....just anodized metal all the way! Anodizing the metal (which I believe is aluminum) makes it more decorative, durable, and corrosion-resistant. The MH40 are also put-together by hand, which makes them even more desirable. The right side of the MH40 has a unique, new, and not to mention handy feature.......... a mute button. Instead of having to look for the pause button on your phone or device, you simply just push that mute button, and then do what you need to do. Also, the sheepskin earcups are magnetically attached to the headphones, and come off with just a little tug. I think it's great that they make it so easy to replace them, if and when necessary (I'm not even sure I can replace my K553's earcups?). I really have to commend Master & Dynamic here for their forward-thinking approach to making headphones, especially since this is their FIRST! 

Comfort: I found the MH40 to be quite comfortable. The cushioning on the headband was about the same as on my K553, but my K553 has a metallic headband, where the headband of the MH40 is made of cowhide and not hard. The sheepskin cups are very comfortable too. The earcup adjuster stretches from a 0 to a 4. I found that at 4 it was pretty comfortable with a good seal too, but I think they should've bumped it up to a 5, just to make it more well-rounded for the general public. 

Sound Quality: I pitted the MH40 against my K553 over two separate listening sessions. My main criteria was comparing the bass, mids, highs, clarity, and soundstage/sound separation of the two headphones. I used various hard & soft rock songs for the sessions. 

Bass: The MH40 are somewhat slightly bassier than the K553. Not by much, but enough to notice. 

Mids: The mids were pretty clear and present here, at least when the bass part wasn't up too high (more on that below). 

Highs: The highs sounded great and had a shine or sparkle to them, which to me is very important, though again when the bass part was higher up, it (the highs) wasn't as audible (below). 

Clarity: I found the clarity of the MH40 to be very good to great, but not perfect like on the K553. The K553's bass is more neutral and therefore less bassy, so when the bass is higher up on a certain part of a song, it NEVER overshadows or spills into the mids or highs, EVER. I sort of noticed this even in the first session, but it was during the second session that I really noticed it on a particular track, Fleetwood Mac's "Crystal" (one of my all-time favorite songs). During the first chorus of the song (0:45 - 1:17), there's a particular acoustic guitar "fill" that can be heard in the background in between each line sung (sounds kinda like the "bell chime" you hear when a cash register is opened), which sounds really nice. On the K553, the fill is VERY clear & audible, but on the MH40, the bass somewhat overshadows the fill. Unlike the Blue Lola headphones which I last tried out vs. my K553 about a month ago, the MH40 still HAS that high-end sparkle to its rendering of acoustic guitar sounds (the Lola didn't, but was even better IMO at isolating the bass from the mids & highs). So the sound is there, and is somewhat clear and audible, but not as much as on the K553. 

Soundstage/Sound Separation: The K553 has a wider and deeper soundstage than the MH40, but I will say the soundstage on the MH40 is still REALLY good! They definitely did not sound closed-in like the Audio-Technica M50X headphones that I'd once tried out did. Sound & instrument separation was great too, but since the K553 has a better soundstage, which to me automatically equates to better instrument separation as well, I didn't think it was better than the K553's. (Note: The K553 has 50mm speaker drivers, where the MH40 has 45mm ones. Of course, there is more to soundstage than just speaker driver size.) 

Conclusion: I bought the MH40 knowing it would probably not outdo my full-size K553, but I'd read more than enough complimentary reviews to consider giving it a listen. I really wish AKG would've made their K553 Pro come with a DETACHABLE cable and not one that was 10 feet long (which I have to tie up), but about 4 feet would've been great (and no in-line remote please, don't want it). It's not a big deal, but it's still something I would care not have to deal with anymore. I'm hoping their next K55X headphones will have the same great sound, but have my requests granted on it as well. This was my main reason for wanting to try out the MH40.........portability. The smaller ear cups are nice too, but the cable issues are a bigger deal to me (but still not a "big deal" per se). 

The MH40 are a GREAT pair of headphones! In terms of design and arguably comfort even, they outdo the K553. In terms of sound quality however, they come very close to the K553, but do not outperform them. To me, a big soundstage is very important, and even more so is clarity. I like some good bass as much as anyone, but never ever at the expense of the mids & highs. NEVER. That is why I'm returning the MH40 and keeping my K553 (now 4 mos in). My K553 have a pretty premium build & design themselves (barely any plastic on them), so it's not like I'm keeping something ugly just because it sounds better. Quite the opposite actually!! And with a price tag difference of about $230, they're an even better option to consider! 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!!

AKG K553 Pro: 

akg-k553-pro-1b.jpg

Master & Dynamic MH40: 

master_dynamic_mh40_hero.jpg

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Well 2 1/2 years have gone by since my review above, and I decided to give the MH40 another try just on its own to see if my new "Magic EQ" (main one is the DT 1770 one, others have variation in the bass region) would make it sound any better. I know that this isn't how reviews are usually done, but since this EQ has proven successful over several of the headphones I've tried it out on over the last year, I want others to know about & try it as it makes for a better listening experience and value as well.

I also wanted to see if the comfort was any better since I guess around the time I bought the last one above M&D had made some minor improvements to the design. So I listened to the MH40 5-6 times over a period of 2 weeks for 30 minutes or else a few hours each time. I threw in some Spotify 320 kbps mp3-quality songs too, but most of the tracks used were either derived from Hi-Res or CD-Quality sources (meaning they were downsampled to 256-512 kbps AAC, which sounds NO different).

Update on Comfort: I still feel the comfort at "4" is very good but not perfect. I notice it helps if I try to place the headband a bit towards the top back of my head where the curve is, and position the ear cups accordingly. But I really wish M&D would reconsider adding a "5" to these. I still had to take these off once every 1-2 hours to adjust them, but this was a minor issue. I have a medium-sized head, so if yours is smaller, than you probably won't have any issues here at all. The ear pads were just big enough to comfortably have my ears rest in them without problems.

Update on Sound (again, all comments below are based on me using the new EQ):

Bass: The bass this time around was much more controlled and from what I could tell no longer was spilling over into the mids or highs. A BIG plus!! Due to the sheepskin leather ear pads and good clasp of the MH40, the seal was good as well and maintained a strong isolation from outside noise too. Bass parts sounded full and lively!

Mids: The mids were even more crystal clear and had a good amount of weight to them. Vocals always sounded great.

Highs: The highs sounded energetic and had a shine or sparkle to them as they did before, without issue.

Clarity: Now that the bass issue has been resolved, I could hear everything in the treble (and mids) just fine! Music has become much more enjoyable to listen to. Even the Fleetwood Mac song "Crystal" (which is mentioned in my last post above) came through just right this time!

Soundstage/Sound Separation: Still very wide and dynamic. The instrument separation isn't AS great as more full-size headphones like my current Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro (or even the AKG K553), but for the more portable size you will have to sacrifice some soundstage width and sound separation. Still, for portable headphones, the soundstage and instrument separation are fantastic! No complaints here at all.

Update on Conclusion: So here we have the same comfort but a more "refined" sound to enjoy! I really love the Master & Dynamic MH40 for the same reason I like Blue's headphones like the Lola and Sadie..........they think outside the box and try to give you something on a physical level that you simply can't get anywhere else, but still strive to give you what you REALLY want with headphones.............. which is of course incredible sound quality. M&D succeeds here for the most part. For me, the comfort is very good but if anyone with a medium-sized or especially large-sized head buys these, they may struggle to find a way to make them feel comfortable. But aside from that, you've got a gorgeous portable headphone made with all premium parts, really nice & soft sheepskin leather ear pads and soft cowhide headband, and the capability to make anything you play on them sound fun & enjoyable!

You can buy the MH40 off the M&D site for 10% off (so only $359) using the code "MDWELCOME10". This is even cheaper than the current Amazon price ($399).

And finally, for any big Rolling Stones fans out there, there are two "Rolling Stones Limited Edition" versions available as well (here and here) for the SAME price of $399. If I were to choose one Gunmetal/leather MH40, it would definitely be the first one with the red Stones logo on the side. Being a huge Stones fan, I'd have no hesitation here, especially with them being exactly the same price too.

On a related note, while checking out M&D's site, I saw they have an on-ear/over-ear model headphone that looks very similar to the Gunmetal MH40...........the MW50+ (in Silver Metal/Black Leather). The MW50+ is wireless but comes both on-ear and over-ear pads to choose from, and also a standard cable as well, and surprisingly, once again, it still costs the SAME as the wired MH40........only $399, despite it being wireless too! So I decided to order that as well and will do a review on it within the next couple weeks (a link will be posted here as well to it). The MW50+ also looks like it might have the potential to be more comfortable than the MH40, so that's another reason for me to check it out. I will probably also do a comparison of its Bluetooth (4.1 + aptX) vs. wired sound. So stay tuned for that.

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 3
Instead of doing a whole review on the MW50, I will simply say I tried it out, compared to the MH40, and these are my thoughts:

1) Slightly more comfortable than the MH40. I still wish the MH40's side extensions could go up to "5" instead of just "4".

2) I felt that when comparing the MW50 in BT mode vs. wired MH40 on sound quality, the MH40 still won out. But that was using the regular/standard aptX codec, NOT the aptX HD or the even more superior Sony LDAC audio codec. It's quite possible with Sony LDAC (which the MW50 doesn't have, nor does it have aptX HD even) that I might not have heard a difference. Specifically, the wired MH40's sound was more clear while the BT MW50 sounded a bit veiled on at least some of the songs I tested out on it, which is a common finding when comparing BT to wired sound. I know people on Head-Fi who use Sony's LDAC and several have said it matches or even outdoes their wired setups.

3) With the wired MW50 however I felt it sounded JUST as good as the MH40.

4) They both sell for the same price, so cost shouldn't be a factor if choosing between the two.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back