AKG K550 vs. Shure srh840 vs Denon D2000...which one should i get?
Jun 14, 2012 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rushy

New Head-Fier
So I'm about to buy my first cans....at first i was going to buy beats (thinking about it wants me to beat myself) but after doing some research on the internet beats was definitely out of the option....So after reading reviews on many cans,I narrowed my options to 3 that i likes the most : AKG K500,Shure srh840,Denon D2000,fostex T50RP
I really can't decide between them...To give you guys an idea of what i'm looking for in a pair ill list factors based on most important to least important

Comfort/size: I Listen to music alot probably more than 5 hours a day,so having a comfortable headphone is a must

2.Isolation

3.Bass: I listen to alot of pop,hip hop and Rap (actually i listen to most genres of music lol) so good bass is kind of an important factor to me.I like my bass to give you that concert feel, a solid bass response...i don't want the bass to be lacking,i want to feel it in my head

4.Soundstage: I like the sound to be real and i like instrument separation.

The most genres of music that i listen to are Pop,Hip Hop,Classic,Rap,Jazz...No Metal or Rock or anything
So what are some of your opinions on what i should get based on these things.

Many Thanks in Advance

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 16
Since you like hiphop, rap, i can tell you that you dont want the AKG 550s, there going to lack that thumping bass needed for that kind of music.  I owned them and they dont fit or seal well, but they do have a great sound when you get a good fit, but they dont have the bass your looking for, the others you mentioned i dont know about.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
Since you like hiphop, rap, i can tell you that you dont want the AKG 550s, there going to lack that thumping bass needed for that kind of music.  I owned them and they dont fit or seal well, but they do have a great sound when you get a good fit, but they dont have the bass your looking for, the others you mentioned i dont know about.

Once a proper seal is achieved, there isn't a "lack" of bass with the K550.  It just doesn't have excess/overdone/artificially enhanced bass.  However, if the OP is looking for bass that gives you a "concert feel," (i.e. a ridiculously over the top, bloated mess that collapses your chest cavity) then the Darth Beyer is, quite literally, the only choice.  Then again, this isn't exactly what I would describe as "good bass," so perhaps he needs to elaborate a bit on his needs.

Jun 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Once a proper seal is achieved, there isn't a "lack" of bass with the K550.  It just doesn't have excess/overdone/artificially enhanced bass.  However, if the OP is looking for bass that gives you a "concert feel," (i.e. a ridiculously over the top, bloated mess that collapses your chest cavity) then the Darth Beyer is, quite literally, the only choice.  Then again, this isn't exactly what I would describe as "good bass," so perhaps he needs to elaborate a bit on his needs.

I didnt say they lack BASS, i said they lack the kinda bass that most hip hop listeners are going to want, and there hard to fit and seal unless you have a big head, or mod them.  I would have kept the ones i had if i could get a good fit. There a very good sounding headphone thats for sure.

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
So I'm about to buy my first cans....at first i was going to buy beats (thinking about it wants me to beat myself) but after doing some research on the internet beats was definitely out of the option....So after reading reviews on many cans,I narrowed my options to 3 that i likes the most : AKG K500,Shure srh840,Denon D2000,fostex T50RP
I really can't decide between them...To give you guys an idea of what i'm looking for in a pair ill list factors based on most important to least important

Comfort/size: I Listen to music alot probably more than 5 hours a day,so having a comfortable headphone is a must

2.Isolation

3.Bass: I listen to alot of pop,hip hop and Rap (actually i listen to most genres of music lol) so good bass is kind of an important factor to me.I like my bass to give you that concert feel, a solid bass response...i don't want the bass to be lacking,i want to feel it in my head

4.Soundstage: I like the sound to be real and i like instrument separation.

The most genres of music that i listen to are Pop,Hip Hop,Classic,Rap,Jazz...No Metal or Rock or anything
So what are some of your opinions on what i should get based on these things.

Many Thanks in Advance

Heya,

Denon D2000 or even Denon D5000 (if you can find a nice used one/refurb) would be my pick for your needs based on what you've listed. They're supremely comfortable and the sub-bass, which is the only bass that matters to me at least, is superb.

Very best,

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Why not just carry a Boombox on your shoulder if you go the Denon Route?  They leak more sound than the semi open back Fidelio L1 and are vastly inferior build quality and a nice long cable that makes sure you can't take it out.  The L1 has equal isolation and a lot more bass, much more clear and MUCH more potent, yet is very stylish and has a detachable cable option with a short portable cable included?  Meh, what a terribly overlooked Headphone the Fidelio L1 is...sad

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D2000 or even Denon D5000 (if you can find a nice used one/refurb) would be my pick for your needs based on what you've listed. They're supremely comfortable and the sub-bass, which is the only bass that matters to me at least, is superb.

Very best,

Uhh...

Quote:
2.Isolation

Hmm... 
confused_face.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
what about the Philips Fidelio L1? ...i've never heard of the DT770 before...

I've never heard the Philips before but have heard the DT770.  Imo it meets all of your criteria. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 16
I own both and I have to say the bass in the denons are far more superior than the audio technicas. The Denons have much deeper bass compared to the audio technicas. 

I am also a hip hop listener and the denons never disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back