AKG K550 - NEW!!
post-8147899
Post #916 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696
Some what disappointed about this product. I was really disappointed, was looking forward to this. I dont think I will buy it at this price. 

Who cares I still got my beloved k70x, nothing can replace your spot in my heart, nothing :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-8148218
Post #917 of 1,494

roBernd

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Messages
433
Reaction score
28
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
433
Likes
28


Quote:
Who cares I still got my beloved k70x, nothing can replace your spot in my heart, nothing :)

try some vintage K240 Sextetts (MP) or even better:
 
any of the older Sennheiser Flagships, HD580/600/650 and you will trash her like a used tissue.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8148258
Post #918 of 1,494

CantScareMe

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
97
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Posts
1,246
Likes
97
For some reason too many people treat closed and open headphones as the same thing.

If you’ve £250 to spend on one phone, and don't mind the leakage and nill isolation of an open headphone, why consider a closed one?

For me this is basic noob level info.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8150238
Post #919 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696
Probably you might be right, but I am very used to the k702 sound, it is after all a 5 year affair, I wouldnt want to risk the joy I got now. If I ever have the money I will buy stax and call it a day. 
 
I am going to buy decent amp an DAC soon and as soon as I graduate and get a full time job Stax is what I am going to buy.
Quote:
try some vintage K240 Sextetts (MP) or even better:
 
any of the older Sennheiser Flagships, HD580/600/650 and you will trash her like a used tissue.
 


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8150258
Post #920 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696
Well you have a fair point close and open are two different beasts no doubt but that is not relevant for. For me what matters is with my budget what is the best thing I can get. And right now for £250 ($398 AUD + shipping cost)  I can get a lot better things. 
 
Ofcourse some people like to complicate thing by bringing factors like portability, sound leakage and all that. Yes they are relevant but if you are aiming for sound your first concern should be "what is the best sounding unit with my budget".
 
I for one have problem with "hifi on the Go", unless you are a business who always travels no one should be aiming for high fidelity for a 2 hour train ride. 
For some reason too many people treat closed and open headphones as the same thing.
If you’ve £250 to spend on one phone, and don't mind the leakage and nill isolation of an open headphone, why consider a closed one?
For me this is basic noob level info.


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8150853
Post #921 of 1,494

RyanA

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
22
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Posts
22
Likes
10
I wonder what the drivers look like. They're somewhat large which is exciting. But is it possible that they might be too large. Too much moving mass could be problematic. It seems like the denon adh 2000's et al, get away with a larger driver with a lighter diaphram material.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8151219
Post #922 of 1,494

roBernd

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Messages
433
Reaction score
28
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
433
Likes
28


Quote:
Probably you might be right, but I am very used to the k702 sound, it is after all a 5 year affair, I wouldnt want to risk the joy I got now. If I ever have the money I will buy stax and call it a day. 
 
I am going to buy decent amp an DAC soon and as soon as I graduate and get a full time job Stax is what I am going to buy.


 


you sir are a wise man. Spending money in this hobby only leads to spending more, plus feeling like you're missing something after an upgrade/side grade.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8153043
Post #923 of 1,494

jimg1954

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Posts
5
Likes
0
I was interested in the K550 because I want a closed headphone that will completely cover my ears. I tried Bauer 770, they sounded good but the earcups were shallow and pushed against my ears. I thought they sounded better than the k550. I listen too rock. Any suggestions?
 
     Share This Post       
post-8153368
Post #924 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696

I have heard a lot of good review on two products, fostex T 50 PR and akg k272 HD. Search for them and read about them. One cost almost 4 times less than k550 and the other cost about 50-80 dollars less than the k550. Both are closed back. The k 272 are famous for their excellent close design. 
Quote:
I was interested in the K550 because I want a closed headphone that will completely cover my ears. I tried Bauer 770, they sounded good but the earcups were shallow and pushed against my ears. I thought they sounded better than the k550. I listen too rock. Any suggestions?


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8153396
Post #925 of 1,494

maverickronin

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
7,390
Reaction score
420
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Posts
7,390
Likes
420
Quote:
I have heard a lot of good review on two products, fostex T 50 PR and akg k272 HD. Search for them and read about them. One cost almost 4 times less than k550 and the other cost about 50-80 dollars less than the k550. Both are closed back. The k 272 are famous for their excellent close design.

You have to mode the T50RP first before it turns into a giant killer.  I don't even think its comfortable stock.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8153973
Post #926 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696
i dont think the member was asking for giant killer, he or she wanted something better than k550, assuming they want to pay something in that price margin those two are the only one I can recommend with good sound isolation. There is the D2000 and HFI 780 but they both have their problem. D2000 having better bass and bad high where as HFI 780 having shallow cups. 
 
T50RP is still good in how it is. The only mod which anyone can do is damping, the mods we see (changing the housing and head bands are to do wit the looks than sound. In that price range the sound is excellent. 
 
Quote:
You have to mode the T50RP first before it turns into a giant killer.  I don't even think its comfortable stock.


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-8154259
Post #927 of 1,494

MuppetFace

A Special Snowflake
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Messages
8,092
Reaction score
1,197
Joined
Aug 2, 2010
Posts
8,092
Likes
1,197


Quote:
 
Am I the only one that thinks that the top-end is actually quite sharp and fatiguing? As a K701-owner, the K550 treble feels more aggressive and sharper when I try them at work. The source there is a decent Onkyo CD and the Rega Ear amp.
 
 

 
While I don't think the top end is overtly sharp, I personally find them fatiguing in general. The midrange is thin and has a metallic quality ("tinniness") to my ears on many recordings. I consider them a limited-genre headphone.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8154356
Post #928 of 1,494

roBernd

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 9, 2010
Messages
433
Reaction score
28
Joined
May 9, 2010
Posts
433
Likes
28
neither the T50rp nor the AH-D2000 are closed headphones... both semi-open.
Well, the AH-D2000 is closed on paper, but this is a joke to behold.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8154371
Post #929 of 1,494

audionewbi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
8,895
Reaction score
2,696
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Posts
8,895
Likes
2,696
the seal on the T50rp is really good.
 
     Share This Post       
post-8154917
Post #930 of 1,494

JeckyllAndHyde

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
394
Reaction score
30
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Posts
394
Likes
30


Quote:
try some vintage K240 Sextetts (MP) or even better:
 
any of the older Sennheiser Flagships, HD580/600/650 and you will trash her like a used tissue.
 


it could be a matter of preference, but to me K240 never came even close to K701 in terms of sound quality. i ended up selling k701 in favor of hd600 only because senns are more versatile (and more bassy as well)
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top