AKG K518 K81 detachable cable mod single entry. Guide + lots of pictures
Jul 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #17 of 34
Hello,

So tell me, what cable should i use to change on my K518?
I had to cut the cable and now i don´t know what cable should i buy.
Can you help me?
I only want to change the cable, not mod to only one cable out.

Thank you

Jul 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
I really like how solid the heat shrink ended up looking on this on the headband to hide away the line going to the right channel. I'll have to keep that in mind for future projects.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on this forum for quite some time. Yeah I quite like it, but it was a huge pain to get on, I had to remove the plastic piece that turns on the bottom (hopefully you know what I mean) on one side, then slowly pull the tube across the headband. I also considered using two pieces and cutting them so they would meet at the middle of the headband, but I wasn't completely satisfied with how it ended up looking.

I also think I broke the drivers when I was doing some resoldering, the sound suddenly seemed to be very, very bad. I've bought a new pair, but I haven't gotten around to modding them yet.

Jul 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 34
HI,

I want to do this mod and hide the cable going from earphone to earphone under the headband as it looks in the pictures from toro. 

Does anybody knows how to disassemble the headband? It seems to have some locks or something but I am afraid that if I put to much pressure it will break.

Thanks

K.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 34
It's very simple to disassemble the headband. All you need is patience :wink:
- first you start removing the rubber part where the AKG Logo is
-than you go on an remove it completely
-once you've done that you can dissasemble the whole headband

For hiding the cable in the headband, it's recommended to glue the cable on the aluminium part like that:

Afterwards you can reassemble the whole headband. At the end you put the adjustable headphone holder back in (left and right).

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #21 of 34
After the Modding you'll have a Headphone like that (that's mine):

I used the Mixit coiled audio cabel from Belkin and I have two jack sockets built into the earpieces.

Sorry for my bad English :/

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #22 of 34
Hi nice mod.
I just broke my stock cable for the 4th time and I would like to try this mod because I really like my k518.

I'm a real noob so I would like some tips on what things to use, like what internal and external
cables to use.

Thanks for any help.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #23 of 34
  Hi nice mod.
I just broke my stock cable for the 4th time and I would like to try this mod because I really like my k518.

I'm a real noob so I would like some tips on what things to use, like what internal and external
cables to use.

Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem, recabled them, but then found out I had killed one of the drivers, be careful, I'm still trying to find a replacement driver....
frown.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #24 of 34
Got a question to people who did this mod. (know the topic had been inactive for some time, hope people still look at this)
How did you guys run the cable from one earpiece to the other through the shells? Drill a hole, or just kinda squeeze it between the back and the frontside of the shell.

Hope you guys could help me out!

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #25 of 34
Hi nice mod. I just broke my stock cable for the 4th time and I would like to try this mod because I really like my k518.
I'm a real noob so I would like some tips on what things to use, like what internal and external cables to use.
Thanks for any help.

I used the original Cable for the internal.
As external cable you can buy what you like, for my part I bougt A cable from zomo, which is originally made for use with the Sennheiser HD25, so I cut off the part at which the cable devides in left and right and sodered a 3.5mm jack.

I had the same problem, recabled them, but then found out I had killed one of the drivers, be careful, I'm still trying to find a replacement driver....
frown.gif

I don't know how you did that - maybe to much heat...

Got a question to people who did this mod. (know the topic had been inactive for some time, hope people still look at this)

How did you guys run the cable from one earpiece to the other through the shells? Drill a hole, or just kinda squeeze it between the back and the frontside of the shell.

Hope you guys could help me out!

I drilled a little hole. And here is a little instruction :wink:
It's very simple to disassemble the headband. All you need is patience
wink.gif

-than you go on an remove it completely

-once you've done that you can dissasemble the whole headband

For hiding the cable in the headband, it's recommended to glue the cable on the aluminium part like that:

Afterwards you can reassemble the whole headband. At the end you put the adjustable headphone holder back in (left and right).

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 34
Hi nice mod.

I'm a real noob so I would like some tips on what things to use, like what internal and external cables to use.

I used the stock cable for internal wiring.
For external wiring you can buy what you like, for my part I bougt A cable from zomo, which is originally made for use with the Sennheiser HD25, so I cut off the part at which the cable devides in left and right and soldered a 3.5mm jack.

I had the same problem, recabled them, but then found out I had killed one of the drivers, be careful, I'm still trying to find a replacement driver.... :frowning2:

I drilled a little hole. And here is a little instruction :wink:
It's very simple to disassemble the headband. All you need is patience
wink.gif

- than you go on an remove it completely
- once you've done that you can dissasemble the whole headband

Sorry for my bad English :/

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #27 of 34

I think it was too much heat, when I was trying to remove the old wire to solder on the new one, I amplied to much heat in the wrong place, when I pulled the cable I found I had melted the glue underneath and one side of the pad came away....

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #28 of 34
I think it was too much heat, when I was trying to remove the old wire to solder on the new one, I amplied to much heat in the wrong place, when I pulled the cable I found I had melted the glue underneath and one side of the pad came away....

For the future: If you're soldering sensitive parts do not use more than 300 degrees!!!
If you don't have adjustable soldering iron, please work carefully with instinctive feeling! (You should do that everytime when you soldering things :wink:)

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 34
 For the future: If you're soldering sensitive parts do not use more than 300 degrees!!!
If you don't have adjustable soldering iron, please work carefully with instinctive feeling! (You should do that everytime when you soldering things
wink.gif
)

don't worry it was a lesson learnt!

May 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #30 of 34
Hi everybody!

Today I've been looking for some cables, that I can use when I'm on the road with my headphones an when I'm not using them in the club for djing.
Until I've tested them I'll write a review, which will help you buy your cables if you need some :wink:
During my search I found that cable. I think it would be very nice to mount it inside the headband. Maybe someone of you will test that out :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back