akg k501 without amp
Jul 14, 2002 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nae45ro

100+ Head-Fier
I saw that headphone.com gives a lot of credit to akg k501.For a 120 ohm impedance they say the akg's are working good with a line amplifier.what do u guys say?By the way wich in your opinion is the approximative maximum impedance till where u can use a non-dedicated amp(the one from your stereo)?

Jul 14, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 8
They *NEED* an amp... More so than the HD600s or 580s. Moreover they need a *better* amp than the Senns to sound good.

Impedance isn't the only thing to consider. You also have to look at sensitivity as well (dB/mW).

Jul 14, 2002 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks!Then,what good headphones(high - end)can u recommend me for around 200 $ to sound good with a non-dedicated amplifier?

Jul 14, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Anything with the name 'Grado' on it within your price range.
smily_headphones1.gif

In the $200 range there aren't a whole lot of options not requiring a headamp. There are in the $100ish range.

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by nae45ro
Thanks!Then,what good headphones(high - end)can u recommend me for around 200 $ to sound good with a non-dedicated amplifier?

I would recommend Senns HD580s if you are going to playing them out of a receiver or stereo amp (not out of a portable). I have used my 580s directly from my Onkyo 595 and Denon 1602 receivers and they sound great. I do admit the 580s sound better from my Corda Headamp, but the difference is not a "night and day" thing to me. Get the 580s now, then some day when you have more dough, and are so inclined, you can get a HP amp and enjoy the improvment.

IMHO, YMMV yadda, yadda

Nick

Jul 15, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello! I also have the K501s and boy they really do need an amp. I'd say that it's almost criminal not to have a good headphone amp with them. The lower (bass) end will suffer if they are not properly amped and I had to do some EQing until I got the lower end that I was after for. I have a heaphone amp on order and the wait is nealy killing me with anticipation
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd also give the Beyerdynamic DT531 a try. They are less demanding with power and they sound great.

Markus

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 8
When I first got my K501s arrived at my office 2 weeks back, I couldn't wait and just try them on my PCDP. I remember the track that it was playing was "we'll rock you" from Queens. Geez, the sound was so so...................tinny even when I turned the volume to the max. An amp is needed for the K501s!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back