AKG K500 appreciation thread: K500 owners – UNITE!
Jul 31, 2008 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
There seems to be a lot of love for the AKG K500 here on the forums, but it doesn’t have its own thread of appreciation yet and info is scattered all over different threads. Let’s start one here and sing the praises of the K500
smily_headphones1.gif
. (Or not; appreciation is different from fanboy-dom after all). Changing the pads does a lot for it, so this might also be a good place to discuss what pads are best suited for the K500. And recable options of course. Anyone did a recable on these beauties? And the different versions that AKG saw fit to produce (are there K500 early, middle and late runs?) Anything you want to say or ask about the K500, put it in this thread.

K500 owners – UNITE!
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 73
Excellent, some appreciation for a great 'phone!

Not much to add at the moment, I'm just listening to them with Oistrakh performing Shostakovich 2nd Violin Concerto and its amazing how great a Russian recording from the 60's can sound. For me, these headphones achieve a magical balance between headstage, detail and a listening experience which is equally relaxing and involving.

Recabling is something I'd like to do in the near future. (But first there are some less interesting, but more pressing 'projects' to finish.) I will report on the results in due time.

As to different versions: apparently there is a version with a completely metal (gold-plated) plug and a version in which part of the plug is made of plastic. Anyone care to eleborate on this?

With a metal plug:

metalplugsmallgz5.jpg

With a plastic plug:

28011ui6.jpg

(I might be completely mistaken, since the second picture comes from an Ebay-advertisement and the actual headphones are not (yet) in my possession.)

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 73
Aug 1, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, my K500 has no sound out of the right driver. It went without warning so I assume it's a broken solder joint.

Had exactly this same issue - opened up and it was a 1 minute fix.

for some reason akg left zero slack in the internal wiring so it doesn't take a lot to pull it off contact.

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, my K500 has no sound out of the right driver. It went without warning so I assume it's a broken solder joint. Eventually, I'll take them apart.

Here's my comparison of the K400, K500, K501, and K601. I sold the K501. I've also since bought a K401.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k40...-601-a-255524/

I have a broken pair of K500s with one OK driver. I can send it to you if you want to. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

EDIT: I didn't correctly read your post. If it's just the soldering in your driver, you won't need another one. But if you do, let me know.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latter plug looks like a K501 plug whereas the former looks like a K400 plug. The 1/8" to 1/4" inch adapters are probably not interchangeable

You're right, they're not interchangeable. My K500 has the metal gold-plated plug, while the K501 has a partly plastic plug. My K400 came to me recabled, so I don't know its original plug.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a broken pair of K500s with one OK driver. I can send it to you if you want to. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

I am looking to buy a set of 500's without drivers.
If you donate your driver I'd be interested in buying the rest of it (cups,band etc).
lemme know! thanks

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 73
i've been watching that auction for days, there goes my chance of picking them up at a reasonable price. sigh.

oh, and take notice that he mentions that the drivers currently in the enclosures have some problems/issues and need replacing and work done.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 73
So when will we do our comparative review of:
K500
K400
K501
K701
k701smile.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 73
I like the K701 pads on the K500, but fyi, not on the K400- it becomes too dry. The 701 pads do take away from the liquid mids of the K500 as well, but I can't stand the highs on them stock, so it's necessary. I would bet that K601 pads would be a great compromise, as many have stated here.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So when will we do our comparative review of:
K500
K400
K501
K701
k701smile.gif

IMO, lower the number, better the eggs
wink.gif
But I haven't heard them all at once to be able to say more than that. But I know I like K501>K701. And I know I like K500>K501. And I know that I like K400>K500. The only one I haven't heard is the K401, which I imagine is just where the number puts it in the scale of things. I owned both K500 and K400 for a couple months, and I can say that the K400 is a bit more mellow up top, and has the most delicious mids I think I've ever heard, the sound can only be described as more "liquid" than the K500. Although I don't know what that really means- but it's the best way I can find to describe it, and I bet yall know what Im talking about.
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back