AKG K361/K371
Mar 31, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #841 of 1,293
So I finally got around to replacing the pads with some Brainwavz regular oval sheepskins. I find them much more comfortable than the original pads and the small ovals (pu and sheepskin versions). In case it is useful to anyone, here are some pictures for size comparisons between the regular ovals and the small ovals. There is definitely more room for your ears due to the thicker foam and larger opening. With the small ovals, my earlobes barely fit and the pressure can become a little uncomfortable during long sessions. Also, I much prefer the sheepskin over pu because of the softness. I have no comments on sonic differences.

Small ovals (sheepskin)

IMG_20210331_124313-01.jpeg

Regular ovals (sheepskin)

IMG_20210331_130122-01.jpeg

Side-by-side comparisons

IMG_20210331_125643.jpg

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #842 of 1,293
Today I Received a pair from the new batch, with the protective plastic cups, I was in love for the 3rd time for their sound, but the mechanism of the headband was loose in one side. Returned. Is the screw too long? I'm very tired. I think I will order another faulty great model, the dt250, at least i can easily fix them with some hot glue. It seems that every bargain must come with a cost

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #843 of 1,293
Today I Received a pair from the new batch, with the protective plastic cups, I was in love for the 3rd time for their sound, but the mechanism of the headband was loose in one side. Returned. Is the screw too long? I'm very tired.

That mechanism can actually be fixed : https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/m6vwgc/akg_k371_teardown/
I've done it already a while ago once on another pair that had a few months of use under its belt, at work. But I certainly would prefer to not have to do it out of the box.
This entire hinge / joint mechanism is plain stupid for so many design and manufacturing reasons. As in "let's ruin what could have otherwise been a great pair of headphones had we not tried to pointlessly reinvent the wheel" kind of stupid.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #844 of 1,293
That mechanism can actually be fixed : https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/m6vwgc/akg_k371_teardown/
I've done it already a while ago once on another pair that had a few months of use under its belt, at work. But I certainly would prefer to not have to do it out of the box.
This entire hinge / joint mechanism is plain stupid for so many design and manufacturing reasons. As in "let's ruin what could have otherwise been a great pair of headphones had we not tried to pointlessly reinvent the wheel" kind of stupid.
Intried to tighten the screw but it was at the end of his rotation and the headband remained loose. I tried it in every pair i tried. What a mess, the mechanism is well firm in all the 361

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #845 of 1,293
Intried to tighten the screw but it was at the end of his rotation and the headband remained loose. I tried it in every pair i tried. What a mess, the mechanism is well firm in all the 361

I get your pain. Perhaps that's the difference between the units which degrade over time and the ones that come straight out of the box loose ? At work I sent back all the ones which mechanism was loose out of the box so the only ones that got loose did so over time.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #846 of 1,293
Very sorry to hear that. Seems to be a common issue based on what I've read here, but luckily my unit is problem-free (purchased almost immediately after initial release). I do agree with the earlier poster that the hinge mechanism is needlessly over-engineered without any apparent benefits. If they'd stuck with a more conventional but reliable folding design, I think it would make more people happy.

Apr 1, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #847 of 1,293
What you're ranting about is what has kept me from buying them. I'm in the U.S. I wonder if I'd get a newer pair if I ordered them directly from AKG.
FYI: ordered my pair from Thomann.de - arrived today with the plastic cup packaging
No problems with build that I can detect

I checked them with some audio restoration / editing work and found them to be spot on - they miss nothing in the mix in terms of subtle aspects such as stomach noises, mouth noises etc and over all they are as close as could be hoped for really in terms of realism and being true to the source

I have a feeling that a part of the mids may be a little pushy but we will see what happens with this when they have had some time on them
No complaints though - a very good job with the tuning

Im using Brainwavez sheepskin oval pads (for Sony 7562) - which incidentally were the only pads that actually managed to improve the sound of the Sony CD900ST !
They are much better (less irritating) on my skin. very comfortable.

Im also using an aftermarket balanced OFC silver plated cable from Custom Lynx - a UK company - Straight away, a tad more body, warmth and punch...but still within tuning
Too early to say how well these will synergise or whether the perhaps slightly smoother stock cable will be better in terms of work

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #850 of 1,293
I'm going to order K371. Sooo do I want old batch? New batch?

You want one with pads in good shape and with the headband adjustment mechanism that clicks positively into place.
The newer packaging increases the likelihood that the pads will be in good shape out of the box.
Some people have received a newly packaged K371 with a loose headband though.
I also believe, but I'm not sure, that the newer package's cables are a little less stiff. Don't take my word for it though.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #851 of 1,293
Hi guys,

I'm going to order K371. Sooo do I want old batch? New batch?

Thanks!
Thomann.de is shipping the newer builds. Better to buy from there as AKG looked into built issues with the earlier models and [i assume] fixed that

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #852 of 1,293
So I had to send back my DT250 as the channel imbalance once noticed can't be unnoticed. I decided to get the AKG K371 and must admit they're a much better headphone in both comfort and sound. The K371 is much more balanced and airier, with a slightly thinner overall sound in comparison to the thicker sounding DT250... but from being thin itself. The K371 soundstage is more accurate and slightly wider and detail is definitely easier to pick out, in fact, it's VERY good. Both are very musical, the DT250 maybe being more energetic with its harder hitting bass. IMO the K371 is a great multi-genre headphone and if asked, I'd definitely recommend it over the DT250 (which is still a nice headphone to listen to). Comfort-wise, the DT250 gets hot very quickly and is quite tight, the K371 could be slightly tight on larger heads, but still not AS tight as the Dt250.

In regards to the headphones I've had, I'll probably say the K371 is the best in my collection for sound.

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #854 of 1,293
Hi everyone

Has anyone had any luck with buying OEM earpads for K371?
I got Brainwavz, they introduced a treble peak which is a no-go
Using Brainwavez micro fibre suede which are working fine. Only $9 on sales so worth a try?
Im using them for editing though so the details are actually what I need
Doesn't seem peaky on the occasion Ive used them for music though?

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #855 of 1,293
Using Brainwavez micro fibre suede which are working fine. Only $9 on sales so worth a try?
Im using them for editing though so the details are actually what I need
Doesn't seem peaky on the occasion Ive used them for music though?
Nah, I'd rather not experiment with other earpads. But I can't find OEM ones. Very strange for a model marketed as 'studio'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back