AKG K361/K371
May 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #316 of 1,293
Couple vids on the K371 buy some chap neamed Wheezy (or Noel), which may address some of the hinge and other concerns mentioned above.

This is the most recent video from just a few days ago...

This is from about 6 months ago. And it details some of Mr. Wheezy's various QC issues with the K371. This goes on,... and on,... and on... for quite awhile. So if you like your K371's, you may just want to skim through it...

Original review...

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #318 of 1,293
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #319 of 1,293
Couple vids on the K371 buy some chap neamed Wheezy (or Noel), which may address some of the hinge and other concerns mentioned above.

This is from about 6 months ago. And it details some of Mr. Wheezy's various QC issues with the K371. This goes on,... and on,... and on... for quite awhile. So if you like your K371's, you may just want to skim through it...

Original review...

It's like he's the only K371 reviewer. He keeps making video about it.

Looks like K361 has even more upper-mids! Can somebody confirm this? Is it even more forward there?

May 23, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #320 of 1,293

Original review...

The same guy reviewed the K371BT a few hours ago. He really dislikes them.

May 23, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #321 of 1,293
The same guy reviewed the K371BT a few hours ago. He really dislikes them.

Oof! Thanks for the heads-up on this, PlantsmanTX.

Edit: corrected video link.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #322 of 1,293
It's like he's the only K371 reviewer. He keeps making video about it.

Looks like K361 has even more upper-mids! Can somebody confirm this? Is it even more

forward there?

Fwiw, I think the answer is pretty much in the following vid and graphs...

K361: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvmy0buuessy0rl/AKG K361.pdf?dl=0
K371: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0

Based on the above, it doesn't seem like the K361 would offer much improvement in SQ for you. And might be a step backwards in some ways.

The metal arms on the K371 may not be just cosmetic btw. A little more weight behind the cups may give the bass a tad more authority and punch on the K371. That seems to be the case on my K553's anyway, which have quite a bit of metal in the cups and hinges. And a comparitively low clamping force.

Whether it would make a noticeable difference in SQ between the K361 and K371, I don't really know. Some less-expensive headphones will try to make up for their lack of weight/metal parts and resistance by using a higher clamping force though.

Corrected the link to the K371BT review in the previous post.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #323 of 1,293
A slightly different take on the K361 vs. K371 from another reviewer...

Wheezy's reviews seem a little more thoughtful and focused than the above. So I'd take Mr. Z's opinions with a couple more grains of salt. He removes the earpads of both headphones though at around 13:05 in the video, so you can see the difference between the filters on the two headphones. The bass ports are also a bit different.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #324 of 1,293
A slightly different take on the K361 vs. K371 from another reviewer...

Wheezy's reviews seem a little more thoughtful and focused than the above. So I'd take Mr. Z's opinions with a couple more grains of salt. He removes the earpads of both headphones though at around 13:05 in the video, so you can the difference between the filters on the two headphones. The bass ports are also a bit different.

Zeos is kind of difficult to take seriously these days. He hypes up almost every headphone he reviews, and it's in large part because he makes money off of the affiliate links on his videos. So he'll say it's good partly to get people to buy it so he makes money. An acclaimed reviewer like metal571, Joshua Valour, Wheezy etc, will take the 15 minutes to go over each aspect of sound in detail. Zeos just spends his 15 minutes (usually longer) raving or ranting.

May 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #325 of 1,293
Zeos is kind of difficult to take seriously these days. He hypes up almost every headphone he reviews, and it's in large part because he makes money off of the affiliate links on his videos. So he'll say it's good partly to get people to buy it so he makes money. An acclaimed reviewer like metal571, Joshua Valour, Wheezy etc, will take the 15 minutes to go over each aspect of sound in detail. Zeos just spends his 15 minutes (usually longer) raving or ranting.

That was sort of my takeaway as well. I wouldn't necessarily completely negate Z's opinion though. He may have a few valid points re cost vs. performance, types of music and gear involved, etc.. Esp. for people with somewhat less sensitive ears.

The plots of the K361 and K371 make the K361 seem more bloated in the upper midrange and upper treble (like my K553's) than the K371. With maybe a bit less emphasis in the sibilant range between 5 and 8 kHz. Conversely, the K371 appears to have a more dagger-like response in the 3 kHz and 8-9 kHz regions than the K361 (on both Oratory's and Rtings plots). So maybe Z is also responding to the slightly more relaxed timbre of the K361 in that area as well.

Hard to really tell though with all his flailing around. :) And generally speaking, bloat in upper midrange = not good in my book. I thought Wheezy had a good point about the difference in warmth and dip in the lower midrange on the K361 as well. The K371 looks smoother in that area than the K361 on Oratory's plots. And also on the Rtings K371 plots fwtw...

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4011
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#1671/4012

Whether that translates to a "better" sound probably depends on the listener. But it probably translates to a somewhat warmer sound.

Both HPs seem a bit lacking in the mid-bass though imho. And I think if got either one, I'd probably want to do some EQ-ing to tweak the response in the bass, treble and upper-mids a bit more to my liking. I think a little more mid-bass and maybe even some upper-bass might help to better balance out some of the stridency around 3 and 9 kHz on the K371. Those two peaks might still need a little trimming back though.

It looks like the K361 may provide a bit more air in the upper treble as well. That area appears a bit more recessed on the K371 on both sets of plots.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #326 of 1,293
Both HPs seem a bit lacking in the mid-bass though imho. And I think if got either one, I'd probably want to do some EQ-ing to tweak the response in the bass, treble and upper-mids a bit more to my liking. I think a little more mid-bass and maybe even some upper-bass might help to better balance out some of the stridency around 3 and 9 kHz on the K371. Those two peaks might still need a little trimming back though.

It looks like the K361 may provide a bit more air in the upper treble as well. That area appears a bit more recessed on the K371 on both sets of plots.
That's what I think as well, and probably my biggest gripe. I think that the mid/upper bass is slightly dipped. Not severely like many other closed backs, but enough for me to still notice that it is lacking a little body there. Additionally, I find the upper midrange a little forward as well, so on some less balanced recordings they can sound a bit off due to the energetic upper midrange and the little bit of missing mid-bass to support it.

It's not a huge deal for me as otherwise the K371 is pretty balanced sounding to me. I would only make 1 or 2db adjustments in those mentioned areas.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #327 of 1,293
Fwiw, I think the answer is pretty much in the following vid and graphs...

K361:
K371: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ftqm1c13xjcqgv/AKG K371.pdf?dl=0

Based on the above, it doesn't seem like the K361 would offer much improvement in SQ for you. And might be a step backwards in some ways.

The metal arms on the K371 may not be just cosmetic btw. A little more weight behind the cups may give the bass a tad more authority and punch on the K371. That seems to be the case on my K553's anyway, which have quite a bit of metal in the cups and hinges. And a comparitively low clamping force.

Whether it would make a noticeable difference in SQ between the K361 and K371, I don't really know. Some less-expensive headphones will try to make up for their lack of weight/metal parts and resistance by using a higher clamping force though.

Corrected the link to the K371BT review in the previous post.

The K371 actually has weights inside the cups.

https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2020/04/rear-k371-driver.jpg?w=648

May 24, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #328 of 1,293
I have a DT770 600 ohm from manufaktur era that I use to make music (electronic) and it stopped working from one side. I can't solder or do anything so im going to buy a new ones. I ended up in k371 based on metal's review claiming the are good SQ and neutral.

Do you think this is an upgrade? Or would you recommend something else? Im willing to spend whatever is needed, however, im not going to waste money on diminishing returns audiophile nonsense and k371 seems like a good deal, even tho it looks a bit cheap.. if SQ is good and its comfortable it should do the job.

As far as QC issues.. how do I know im buying a pair that has no problems there? i mean from a good batch? I buy in Amazon or Thomann?

Im using Schitt Magni 3 to drive them so there shouldn't be any problems there.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #329 of 1,293
I have a DT770 600 ohm from manufaktur era that I use to make music (electronic) and it stopped working from one side. I can't solder or do anything so im going to buy a new ones. I ended up in k371 based on metal's review claiming the are good SQ and neutral.

Do you think this is an upgrade? Or would you recommend something else? Im willing to spend whatever is needed, however, im not going to waste money on diminishing returns audiophile nonsense and k371 seems like a good deal, even tho it looks a bit cheap.. if SQ is good and its comfortable it should do the job.

As far as QC issues.. how do I know im buying a pair that has no problems there? i mean from a good batch? I buy in Amazon or Thomann?

Im using Schitt Magni 3 to drive them so there shouldn't be any problems there.

While I like the K-371 quite a bit, you might still want to consider getting your DT770 repaired... Beyerdynamic normally has reasonable prices , maybe ask them for a quote.

Otherwise the K-371 offers good sound quality for a very reasonable price. Personally I prefer Thomann or Klangfarbe, both will exchange a faulty unit of course.

May 24, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #330 of 1,293
While I like the K-371 quite a bit, you might still want to consider getting your DT770 repaired... Beyerdynamic normally has reasonable prices , maybe ask them for a quote.

Otherwise the K-371 offers good sound quality for a very reasonable price. Personally I prefer Thomann or Klangfarbe, both will exchange a faulty unit of course.
Ok im gonna buy from Thomann. Now I just need to know: Should I buy another DAC? I have the Audio Kontrol 1 which is faulty, its breaking, the sound goes off and I have to plug and unplug it from the USB. I plug the Magni Schitt 3 on there with TRS cables.

Im asking because I learned recently that I don't even need a DAC, I can just buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug it on "line out" from my motherboard, however I wouldn't be able to use my Adam A7's but I barely ever use my monitors anyway so im not sure if it's worth buying some DAC. Or can the Magni 3 be used to plug my monitors too on the "out" connectors?

Lets compare:

native_instruments-audio_control_1-rear.jpg

71WdfKKAvKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

To plug my Adam A7 I use XLR to TRS cable. For this, I would need XLR to RCA cable?

The problem would be that there is only one knob for volume that would control everything.. but at least the Adam A7 have individual knobs

Will I lose sound quality doing this? I have a Aorus Pro x570 motherboard. My headphones look kinda weird when I plug them in there. Its like it has some sort of soundstage algorithm. Like that software that tries to emulate monitors and im not sure what its doing or how to disable it. According to the Realtek options all post processing is disabled.

Do I buy something like this instead?

https://www.thomann.de/es/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_3rd_gen.htm

Im not sure what to do

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back