AKG K340's have arrived!!
Mar 2, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Well they got in yesterday and I picked them up a few hours ago. WOW!!! Even with my sub-par source and no amping, these sound astounding! The detail and the soundstage!! Music emanates from the air surrounding me!! And the vocals! I've been longing for this kind of vocal sound for a long time and these certainly have it. So this is what is meant by effortless reproduction! In the little while I've listened to these, they have already become my favorite phone!

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 36
Nice! Sounds like you love em already.

There's been quite a lot of K340 love lately.
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 36
And it all started about a year ago when philodox got his pair and I wrote a review on them...if only I had the foresight back then to scoop up a few extra pairs.
340smile.gif

Glad you like them!

Mar 2, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 36
These cans are definately gaining popularity. Soon as you know it, they will be selling for hf-1 prices
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
These cans are definately gaining popularity. Soon as you know it, they will be selling for hf-1 prices
evil_smiley.gif

who would sell a k-340 for that little?

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
who would sell a k-340 for that little?

Agreed! These suckers were over $300.00 in the mid 80's.

Try some Diana Krall, Patsy Cline or K.D. Lang. You'll be blown away!

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
And it all started about a year ago when philodox got his pair and I wrote a review on them

lol, I sort of thought you were going to kill me and take them that day... you had the look.
340smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 36
Welcome to the team: my prediction...a beefy amp is in your future
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 36
From the responses in my thread in the amp forum, a beefy amp is most definitely in my future! The one thing that I've discovered that I don't like about this phone is that it doesn't have a strong bass response. It's there, but it doesn't feel impactful. I'm pretty sure that this is because of the lack of amping, but it's possible that I also have one of the phones that leans more towards treble than bass. Would this be more caused by the lack of amping or the second reason i mentioned?

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
From the responses in my thread in the amp forum, a beefy amp is most definitely in my future! The one thing that I've discovered that I don't like about this phone is that it doesn't have a strong bass response. It's there, but it doesn't feel impactful. I'm pretty sure that this is because of the lack of amping, but it's possible that I also have one of the phones that leans more towards treble than bass. Would this be more caused by the lack of amping or the second reason i mentioned?

My K340's are absolute bass monsters amped or unamped.
basshead.gif

I modded the screens, and it nicely balanced things out a bit. I also have a Mogami recable, which I think gave me some more low end oomph.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 36
Just wondering a1rocketpilot, did you ever get the k701s?

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 36
Nah, I decided that I might as well spring on the K340's since if I didn't like them, I would have no problem selling or trading them for K701's.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyre
meh, I don't even bother trying to get a pair of K340's anymore. Because of the amount of exposure that these esoteric cans get, their ebay prices have risen to idiotic levels. Same with the Grado HP-1000's, why bother...

It's almost a double edged sword, it you tell everyone on head-fi how awesome a pair of out-of-production headphones are, then they become so popular that only few people can buy them.

true that, thats why i didnt bother going to ebay to get another pair. Start looking at your local thrift stores
icon10.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 36
I'd still recommend getting a pair though (if you like the sound of it). As I said in the OP, even with my less than terrific source (Audigy 2) and no amping, it still is the best headphone I've ever heard. These phones have a following for a reason, and though I haven't heard the HP-1000's yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they too sound as good as the hype. It's just a matter of keeping your eyes open on all fronts. As was discussed in the Member's Lounge earlier, someone bought a used HP-2 on Audiogon for $150!! The sale went through in less than 2 minutes since the ad was put up. Like that lucky b*tch, it is certainly possible to find something for a steal of a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back