AKG K340
Apr 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

TDL-speakers

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

It's now been 1 month having these good headphones, and I can say they are very good sounding cans. Very good soundstage and detail. I have not yet got a headphone amp, but I'm planning on maybe getting the Grado RA1 headphone amp.

And what Headphone out there can better the hard to beat K340? Just a question.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 28
Imo the K1000 beat the K340. ...and so does most Stax'en.
Neither one of these are suitable for the RA1 though.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 28
I just wasn't a big fan of the K340 partly because in my direct comparisons with the K501 I always preferred the latter. I would usually pick up the HD650, K501 or AD2000 before the K340. My main beefs were...

Resonance issues and how the bass sounds a bit disconnected from the rest of the sound spectrum. The SQ would probably (maybe?) be fixed on my part by using a more powerful amp. The resonance issues on the other hand were not going away without some significant modding which just isn't my thing.

With all that said, they are some tremendous sounding headphones and my amp drove them well at the 12 o'clock mark. This was my main reason for selling them though as I had no assurance the SQ would markedly increase if I decided to spend $2K on a amp that would drive them to submission.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 28
The k340 need lots o' juice. You'd be throwing your money away trying to use RA-1 with them. An amp that DOES do a very good job with them is the Ming Da MC84 C07 (which goes for $385 - you get them from Pacific Valve [near Chicago])........then go out and spend some real money for the right NOS tubes.
This amp also does a great job with Beyer dt990/600

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 28
You'll want an amp with N^ more power than an RA-1 (which is a varient on the popular CMOY design) for an AKG K340, they're on the line between needing a mega headphone amp or going whole hog with a speaker amplifier. Very difficult load. I had a pair for a while, wasn't keen on them after the new toy syndrome wore off. I used them in combination with an Ergo Amp 1 which has about 3 watts.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 28
I use the MF X-can V3 with full Pink Floyd mods with the K340's. But it really needs the beefier PSU (Pinkie or X-SU) to power them. Great sound.. but I still prefer my Beyers.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 28
Yep, this headphone needs one beffy amp to run em. But if you have it they are trully wonderfull beasts.

May 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 28
beside a strong amp, k340 also requires a strong neck. the sound is good but i can only listen to it for about a cd, two cd, that's equal to two hours max i guess. that really got me thinking if i should invent some money for modding this good but heavy headphones.

May 6, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 28
Thats one of the reasons you may need to mod them, but most important is how they will sound after mod. There are, at least, 2 differ models, bass light and bass heavy and I would prefer bass light, after mods been done.
These babys need an good OTL tube amp, which are tons up there for a good price, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beside a strong amp, k340 also requires a strong neck. the sound is good but i can only listen to it for about a cd, two cd, that's equal to two hours max i guess. that really got me thinking if i should invent some money for modding this good but heavy headphones.

May 6, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Funny how you mentioned those two things and I thought of "Helium Balloons".
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back