AKG K340 why so popular all of the sudden?
Mar 6, 2006 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Blackmore

Headphoneus Supremus
Dear all,

Have read some very nice threads up here about those "oldies". Just wonder if this really worth to buy them?
confused.gif
Are they become an trend? I mean they are like between 10-20 years old mostly.
The second issue is that the new series from AKG have come, 601 and 701, so do 340 sounds that amazing compare to them or HD 600/650.
And how about driving them? They are like 400 Ohm and probably needs a very good amplifier. Can they be driving from receiver phone jack to or maybe from portable amp.
rolleyes.gif

I know that's like personal prefer but I am very curios about them, because I love AKG sound and those were like first and last semi-electrostatics. Maybe that's why?
eek.gif

Thx everyone.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 44
Ummm, because they're good? You can chalk it up to the 'philodox effect' if you'd like. I am a pretty huge fanboy, so when I like something... it gets a certain amount of press.
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Ummm, because they're good? You can chalk it up to the 'philodox effect' if you'd like. I am a pretty huge fanboy, so when I like something... it gets a certain amount of press.
redface.gif

So if I understand you correctly its like collectible thing
eggosmile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 44
No, not at all... they are a great pair of headphones and I prefer them sonically to HD650, Qualia, HP2 [very slightly], K1000, DT880, etc. As for more detail on how they sound... do a search, I've talked about the qualities of the K340 quite a bit on this forum.
340smile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
Dear all,

Have read some very nice threads up here about those "oldies". Just wonder if this really worth to buy them?

It depends.They have to be modded, the stock K340s are decent, but not that special.If you are the DIY kind of guy it isn't very expensive, but time consuming.
Quote:

The second issue is that the new series from AKG have come, 601 and 701, so do 340 sounds that amazing compare to them or HD 600/650.

That's a question of personal preference.Modded AKG K340s are competitive to modern headphones, but only your ears can decide which sound presentation is more to your liking. Quote:

And how about driving them? They are like 400 Ohm and probably needs a very good amplifier. Can they be driving from receiver phone jack to or maybe from portable amp

It isn't easy to drive them to their full potential, but that's also true for the HD 6X0s or the K701s.Generally it's wasted money to drive higher end cans by utilizing a modern receiver IMO.They all wouldn't sound much better than 100 Euro cans anyway when connected to a receiver.
As far as portable amps are concerned the answer is probably : no.
At least my Corda Porta II isn't suitable.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
redface.gif

I've gotta admit, Philodox was the one that got me thinking about getting the K340's with his continuous praise about these phones. Considering when people compare them to the K1000's, Grado HP's, Stax, etc., you know there has to be something special about these.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 44
They've certainly got a very unique sound, and can be bought for WAY cheaper than you'd think used. I heard a pair and I'm definitely not surprised that these are becoming popular again. I liked the sound of this better than the K701, but I didn't listen to either for more than an hour.

Mar 6, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 44
Your music preference will play a part as well. Although i like these with classic rock, these are not headbanger's cans. But if vocals, strings and piano are favorites, you'll love these headphones! I've had mine since the mid 80's, but didn't realise their potential 'til i had them modded and started comparing them to other headphones. The midrange on K340's is like good Swiss chocolate!

Mar 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
Your music preference will play a part as well. Although i like these with classic rock, these are not headbanger's cans. But if vocals, strings and piano are favorites, you'll love these headphones! I've had mine since the mid 80's, but didn't realise their potential 'til i had them modded and started comparing them to other headphones. The midrange on K340's is like good Swiss chocolate!

damn... i may need to look into this phone

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 44
Yes, the midrange is absolutely addicting. I thought I had good midrange with my HF-1's, but they seem hollow when compared to the vocals coming out of the K340's. Their reproduction of the midrange and up is absolutely effortless, due in large part to the electret in the driver.

Mar 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

I listen to a differend kind of music, but most its
DeepPurple,PinkFloyd,Rainbow,RobertPlant, that kind. It seems that people just begin realised that old means not bad or less. Swiss is the best, so i may do some Ebay visits.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
I listen to a differend kind of music, but most its
DeepPurple,PinkFloyd,Rainbow,RobertPlant, that kind. It seems that people just begin realised that old means not bad or less. Swiss is the best, so i may do some Ebay visits.
eggosmile.gif

Hmmm, great music taste in my oppinion! I listen to all that and a lot of other genres on mine. Plant's " Big Log" and "In The Mood" sound fantastic on these! But don't be surprised if these headphones make you a fan of genres you never really listened to before. Female vocals are superb! I have become a much bigger jazz fan since i've had these. And Spanish guitar is mind blowing! There should be a note on EmmyLou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" album that say's "Please audition this album with AKG K340's"!

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
They've certainly got a very unique sound, and can be bought for WAY cheaper than you'd think used. I heard a pair and I'm definitely not surprised that these are becoming popular again. I liked the sound of this better than the K701, but I didn't listen to either for more than an hour.

I have the K701 since 10 days and the K340 since about one year. I love my K340 and I have spent many hours tweaking them, but after spending a rainy weekend listening to the two, I have to say the K701 does a much better job with most of the music I listen to (classical): strings (from cello to violin) sound just right with the K701. The K340 adds a husky timbre to violins that may be pleasant, but does not sound real. The K701 soundstage is as big as the K340's but, if possible, even better defined: with the K701 (and a good recording) I can "see" every player in the Mendelssonh octet or each individual wind instrument in a symphony orchestra.

IMHO there is only one (important) thing that K340 does better: male voices sound fuller, more emotional with the old phones. And judging from a couple of tracks from 1950 opera CDs, old recordings sound better through the rose-colored K340.

But rest assured I am not giving up on my K340: perhaps with a silver recable a-la headphile (I am using CAT-5E cable now) and more tweaking with the filling material I can get rid of that "veil" that I hear after comparing them to K701. We'll see...
340smile.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 44
Calaf : did you remove the plastic grids, or at least cut big holes in them ? That helps a lot with the excessive warmth added.

But yes, their strongest point is vocals. I felt in love with them listening to Gregorian music.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Hmmm, great music taste in my oppinion! I listen to all that and a lot of other genres on mine. Plant's " Big Log" and "In The Mood" sound fantastic on these! But don't be surprised if these headphones make you a fan of genres you never really listened to before. Female vocals are superb! I have become a much bigger jazz fan since i've had these. And Spanish guitar is mind blowing! There should be a note on EmmyLou Harris' "Wrecking Ball" album that say's "Please audition this album with AKG K340's"!

Yeah, totally agree with you. Have some records from Candy Dulfer, man she can make you crazy with her sax...
basshead.gif

Going to live show in Amsterdam at april 5th, RobertPlant. Cant wait.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back