Akg k340 is for live and senn hd580 is for room
May 25, 2005 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aznsensazian

500+ Head-Fier
Title says it all. Ive been listening extensively between these headphones for a week now and ive come up with a conclusion. The akg k340 are live cans and what i mean by that is the k340 takes a normal recording from say a studio and makes it sound like you are in a live concert, kinda like you are the only one there listening to a live performance. Its pretty cool. Ive been listening to radiohead and switching phones as i listen to the same track over again. The live or concert effect is very noticiable. I think it has something to do with the soundstaging of the headphone. There are much more musical separation and air between the notes. The instruments extend out of your head kinda giving you a three dimensional feel.

As i switch over and listen to the hd580s, i notice the "live" feel is gone and the musical recording is back to normal studio sound. Everything sounds precise and accurate with the hd580, but that sense of being the only one in a radiohead concert is totally gone and thus i quickly lose the fun. Granted the hd580 sound very accurate with every instrument being presented in great detail. Thus, these two headphones are great for what they offer. With the hd580 great for normal studio recording and accuracy, and the k340 great for turning a normal studio recording into a live "concert effect" one. Both phones are very musical, but in the end its all a matter of "sound taste". I see why people have several headphones now, as each headphone does a certain thing better than the other and each require you to have a different acquired sound taste.

May 25, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
There are much more musical separation and air between the notes. The instruments extend out of your head kinda giving you a three dimensional feel.

I agree completely, the instrument placement, imaging and separation are what really stand out as the main strength of the K340 to me. When I had my Wife listen to them on my new home rig the other day she said:
'They are very detailed and have nice bass, but you can hear the air... I don't like that.'
LOL... well, I guess everyone doesnt think it is a good thing, but I do.
wink.gif

May 25, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
... you can hear the air...
I guess everyone doesnt think it is a good thing, but I do.

And you have to admit, it'd make a helluva marketing slogan. It's better than ESS's old "Sound As Clear As Light".

I like audible air too. Any binaural nut does.

Well, that does it. Gotta get me a K340 to compare to my soon-coming HD-600. C'mon, eBay, cough one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back